Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries. - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

Hi folks,

A colleague and I have been talking about solar and it seems like all the costs escalate beyond reasonable with the addition of batteries.

Just yesterday he sent me this link:
    https://www.3denergysolutions.co.za/...age-solutions/

Now I'm still learning about all these things, with no prior knowledge, so I wanted to know what the folks here think of capacitor based storage. Yup it looks expensive, but right now, I'm interested in your thoughts, pitfalls and opinions; or wherever this is just more snake-oil.

Thanks in advance,

Hamish

We are seeing lots of new battery brands and types now.

Just be careful of the marketing hype!

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by zinkeldonk View Post
    Hi folks,

A colleague and I have been talking about solar and it seems like all the costs escalate beyond reasonable with the addition of batteries.

Just yesterday he sent me this link:
    https://www.3denergysolutions.co.za/...age-solutions/

Now I'm still learning about all these things, with no prior knowledge, so I wanted to know what the folks here think of capacitor based storage. Yup it looks expensive, but right now, I'm interested in your thoughts, pitfalls and opinions; or wherever this is just more snake-oil.

Thanks in advance,

Hamish
    Recent tread on the same. There are a few of them.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...58#post4055458
    Love your neighbour. Thatís about it, itíll be the world we want.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    I do belief Lithiums will be a good bet.
    I haven't heard of an EV 4x4 but there's big investment by the motorcar manufacturers as described in this article:
    https://www.economist.com/business/2...ctric-vehicles

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Mackay For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RiaanJ View Post
    All that I can add is be careful of lead acid batteries... I have just sold 8 OmniPower 260Ah batteries as scrap for R10 per kg. They were 4 years old, only cycled to70% SoC for an absolute max of 100 times, the rest of the time they were "floating" at 2.4v per cell. And they were dust...... Data logs from my Sunny Island bears all this out.

So no more lead acids for me, not AGM / Gel / VRLA or anything else.

I replaced with 2 x 2.56kw BYD Lifeso4 batteries, the handshake between the BMU and the SI was seamless and perfect. And I paid less in Rands than for the Omnipower batteries 4 years ago. Granted, the Ah is less than half, but all (almost) is usable and the 10year warranty is sterling, to the extent of 70% retained capacity at the end of the 10 years. Also, the BYD battery cabinet with BMU has 4 slots, so I can add another 2 batteries should I need to.
    What kind of loads were you putting on those Omnipowers?

Quote Originally Posted by RiaanJ View Post
    All that I can add is be careful of lead acid batteries... I have just sold 8 OmniPower 260Ah batteries as scrap for R10 per kg. They were 4 years old, only cycled to70% SoC for an absolute max of 100 times, the rest of the time they were "floating" at 2.4v per cell. And they were dust...... Data logs from my Sunny Island bears all this out.

So no more lead acids for me, not AGM / Gel / VRLA or anything else.

I replaced with 2 x 2.56kw BYD Lifeso4 batteries, the handshake between the BMU and the SI was seamless and perfect. And I paid less in Rands than for the Omnipower batteries 4 years ago. Granted, the Ah is less than half, but all (almost) is usable and the 10year warranty is sterling, to the extent of 70% retained capacity at the end of the 10 years. Also, the BYD battery cabinet with BMU has 4 slots, so I can add another 2 batteries should I need to.
    Eish. We just threw away 8 x 120AH LC batteries. They were 5 or 6 years old, and were only discharged about 20 times to 50%. They still show full charge, but can only discharge at less than an amp. I have OmniPower batteries on order to replace these. Hope they don't go the same way! Should have gone lithium....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Tog

who has R48k for a "battery"... crazyhttps://www.sustainable-energy-solutions.co.za/products/super-capacitors-battery
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

Quote Originally Posted by ColeGP View Post
    who has R48k for a "battery"... crazyhttps://www.sustainable-energy-solutions.co.za/products/super-capacitors-battery
    There is an oak in slaapstad that builds these things apparently. He's on gumtree, sells second hand Shoto batteries. Well this is what i heard from a guy i know who bought a battery from them. I heard a figure of 20odd k being thrown around

dod is interesting. Lith ion i am buying has 80% dod, thus only 20% can be used. Deep cycle allows 40% dod, thus 60% can be used.

However, like me and Arnold Shwarzenegger, when we pick up weights, i reach 40% dod almost immediately, but Arrie takes a very long time before he reaches 80% dod

What i am trying to say is that lith ion has more oomph and on top of all lith ion protects itself and its mates connected to each other, in supporting thec weakest battery until prescribed dod is reached, then system switches off by itself.

And lith ion does not allow overcharging, it protects itself. You are paying more, for oomph and technology
    Last edited by julius caesar; 2019/04/27 at 08:37 AM.
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

DOD is in deed interesting. Especially when you interpret incorrectly like you have What you are saying is SOC.

80% DOD means you can use 80% of the capacity leaving the battery in a SOC of 20%.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2019/04/27 at 09:31 AM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

SOC = State of Charge. This is how "full" your battery is, or how much % capacity is remaining inside the battery.

DOD = Depth of Discharge. This indicates how much of the battery have you already used.

The two is easily confused and can cause your batteries damage if interpreted incorrectly.

Lithium can be discharged to 80% no problem, thus DOD 80%.
    AGM I think can be discharged to around 60% before damage, thus DOD 60%.
    Lead Acid you can only take down to about 40% before you start affecting the lifetime, thus DOD 40%.

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

I think you'll find that all batteries are affected by DOD regardless of type. Yes lithiums can safely be taken down to 80% but i would hazard a guess that the number of cycles is significantly reduced compared to say 50%. Also the amount of current you are pulling out a given battery has an impact. Its very difficult comparing peoples reviews when they don't indicate what kind of current they are pulling out of the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrewer View Post
    What kind of loads were you putting on those Omnipowers?
    My Sunny Island was initially set to only use 30% of the battery bank..... and this typically got us through a night. If we needed more than 30% before the PVs kicked in, it went back to eskom. This happened very few times, we managed to feed back during daytime and run off grid at night. So the batteries were just floating along at the recommended charge rate per cell. Loads at night were between 450w and 700w, with maybe an early evening spike or two. Except of course for loadshedding during evenings (few in reality)
    Last edited by RiaanJ; 2019/04/27 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    Eish. We just threw away 8 x 120AH LC batteries. They were 5 or 6 years old, and were only discharged about 20 times to 50%. They still show full charge, but can only discharge at less than an amp. I have OmniPower batteries on order to replace these. Hope they don't go the same way! Should have gone lithium....
    NOoooo, If I were you, I would cancel and buy 50% of the battery bank Ah but in Lithium. Just ensure Canbus compatibility with your inverter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    DOD is in deed interesting. Especially when you interpret incorrectly like you have What you are saying is SOC.

80% DOD means you can use 80% of the capacity leaving the battery in a SOC of 20%.
    Fluffy, thanks, noted.

Correct term is Soc and if all my dods are replaced with socs, then my statement is still valid. Suppliers tend to use term dod loosely.

Point is, when one uses 48v lithiums, their soc is still high when system kicks out, thus the batteries are protected and also protect themselves.

When you use 4 x 12v batteries in series to get 48v and one battery chops off, no more 48 v and system is ineffective.
    4 x 48v batteries in parallel and one chops off, system remains at 48v, all that is reduced is oomph to carry on for long period.
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Quote Originally Posted by julius caesar View Post
    4 x 48v batteries in parallel and one chops off, system remains at 48v, all that is reduced is oomph to carry on for long period.
    Which 48V batteries are you referring to
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2019/04/29 at 12:35 PM.
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) beyond 830 000 km

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    Which 48V batteries are you referring to
    Lithium ion
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3