Where to do passport application for a minor in the Western Cape?

Default Where to do passport application for a minor in the Western Cape?

Applying for a passport in this country is by any measure not a pleasant experience, but since the branch in Malmesbury was shut down some 2 years ago, the level of frustration to do so escalated to a new level.

Since we are in Langebaan, we tried Atlantis but what a dump! First of all on arrival in the Home Affairs parking area we were swamped by about 10 youngsters demanding money. I refused and sure enough they scratched my wife's car while we were inside. We arrived around 13:30, only to be told that the queue is already closed for the day and that we can wait in the "maybe queue". If not processed in the maybe queue you get a queue number for the next day. One guy I spoke to said he did just that, was back that morning @ 07:00 and it still took more than 6 hours to get processed!

So the question now is: Where in the Western Cape area is a better option than Atlantis? My wife drove past the Paarl office the next morning and there were 2 queues around the building, but it seems a better option than Atlantis. I believe one can apply for a passport online and get the bio-metrics processed at Standard Bank in Canal Walk but does that go for minors as well? Any advise will be much appreciated, thanks.

Isuzu KB300 4x4 D/C
    KTM 1050 Adventure
    BL Boskriek #659

Default Re: Where to do passport application for a minor in the Western Cape?

All of them are bad now and I can only imagine it is because of ID registrations for voting. The Bellville office has quite a good process flow inside, so it's probably a case of plan to stand for 3 hours in the queue and enjoy the experience.

I also need to go apply for kids passports, but standing in a queue with a 4 and a 5 years old, plus orchestrating with a mom that isn't too keen on getting them passports, is making me postponing the inevitable. Seems like opening a Standard bank account for a month is the way to go.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

OdM

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    All of them are bad now and I can only imagine it is because of ID registrations for voting. The Bellville office has quite a good process flow inside, so it's probably a case of plan to stand for 3 hours in the queue and enjoy the experience.

I also need to go apply for kids passports, but standing in a queue with a 4 and a 5 years old, plus orchestrating with a mom that isn't too keen on getting them passports, is making me postponing the inevitable. Seems like opening a Standard bank account for a month is the way to go.
    I totally agree. Queuing is bad but having to do it with minors so much worse. But yes I agree with you. I think to apply for a Standard Bank account is totally worth it. According to a post I read elsewhere they do minors in this way as well.

Isuzu KB300 4x4 D/C
    KTM 1050 Adventure
    BL Boskriek #659

I recently had to renew my passport.
    What a nightmare.

I went to paarl twice without success (systems offline)
    Tried atlantis twice as well (systems offline)

so after a combined 16 hours of queuing, I opened a standard bank account and went to canal walk.
    the whole process took 20 min.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ocin For This Useful Post:

If you are a Standard Bank account holder, it can be done online.

I did mine and my son's and received both within 10 days.
    Sue

Jeep JKU
    Jeep XJ 4.0 (SOLD)
    Jeep WJ 4.7 V8 (SOLD)

At Bellville there is a very friendly gentleman that will allow you to jump the queue if your kid is in his/her school clothes, provided it is not during school holidays obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocin View Post
    so after a combined 16 hours of queuing, I opened a standard bank account and went to canal walk.
    the whole process took 20 min.
    which account option did you choose? I see the cheapest one is R5.60 per month.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Quote Originally Posted by WeskusKlong View Post
    Applying for a passport in this country is by any measure not a pleasant experience, but since the branch in Malmesbury was shut down some 2 years ago, the level of frustration to do so escalated to a new level.

Since we are in Langebaan, we tried Atlantis but what a dump! First of all on arrival in the Home Affairs parking area we were swamped by about 10 youngsters demanding money. I refused and sure enough they scratched my wife's car while we were inside. We arrived around 13:30, only to be told that the queue is already closed for the day and that we can wait in the "maybe queue". If not processed in the maybe queue you get a queue number for the next day. One guy I spoke to said he did just that, was back that morning @ 07:00 and it still took more than 6 hours to get processed!

So the question now is: Where in the Western Cape area is a better option than Atlantis? My wife drove past the Paarl office the next morning and there were 2 queues around the building, but it seems a better option than Atlantis. I believe one can apply for a passport online and get the bio-metrics processed at Standard Bank in Canal Walk but does that go for minors as well? Any advise will be much appreciated, thanks.
    You must try applying for a passport for a new Born while living in Qatar like my son is BATTLING to at the moment with SA Home affairs through the Consulate in Doha ..Brain damage experience deluxe ..The ID No was done Quick Quick and the last we heard that the Passport was no in a Diplomatic Bag and that we should all check with the Consulate in 2 weeks time ..This process has been going on since Dec and they are DUE to come back for a holiday in July ..I will believe it once they hit PE Airport

Maybe a little far out but Ceres is not bad. We did ours there about a year ago. The guy taking the photos even had a little yellow rubber duck to get the kids to look at the camera.

In the morning the queue was about a hour and a half long. Went to collect around lunch time and the queue was relatively short.
    Last edited by relec; 2019/04/01 at 02:03 PM.
    Riaan
    Mahindra S10 DC Pikup
    GWM Steed DC 2.8 TCi - Dastek(Sold)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to relec For This Useful Post:

do it through the bank (check online which branches close to you can do it), you book a time slot and arrive at the appointed time with a handful of other people who are in your time slot. Renewed the kids passports and Swambo and my ID new cards. All 4 of us done in under 30 mins from start to finish.
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    which account option did you choose? I see the cheapest one is R5.60 per month.
    I just did that. Got an Access account @ R5.60/m yes. I suspect there will be some internet banking fees involved as well but I would much rather pay that than to go waste a day (or more) at Home Affairs. I am not good at standing in queues at all. To register for eHomeAffairs go to https://ehome.dha.gov.za/eHomeAffairs/. Will report back here if it works the way it should.

Isuzu KB300 4x4 D/C
    KTM 1050 Adventure
    BL Boskriek #659

16. The Following User Says Thank You to WeskusKlong For This Useful Post:

Apparently the applicant must have an account. Does that imply I need to open accounts for each kid or would only one for me suffice?
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

probably just the main applicant who's paying?

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Apparently the applicant must have an account. Does that imply I need to open accounts for each kid or would only one for me suffice?
    You can pay for you kids on your profile with Standard Bank. But you cannot pay for anyone else via Standard Bank. My husband had to pay my fees through our FNB business account.

Is it only Standard Bank that does passport appointments down there in the colony?
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/04/02 at 03:57 PM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

this week is probably not the best time to go do this: https://insidetravel.news/dha-system...w-2-ucFINtvE8A

he Live Capture system upgrade at Home Affairs has taken place over the weekend of 29-31 March 2019. However, front offices are currently experiencing some errors which technical teams are working on.Some offices are still unable to process Smart ID card and Passport applications due to technical errors. All other services are available at front offices across the country, like processing and issuing of certificates for births, marriages and deaths.
    The Department of Home Affairs has expressed its sincere apologies to all of its clients for the inconvenience caused. The system upgrade will assist greatly in improving service quality and in building a new national identity system for South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    You can pay for you kids on your profile with Standard Bank. But you cannot pay for anyone else via Standard Bank. My husband had to pay my fees through our FNB business account.

Is it only Standard Bank that does passport appointments down there in the colony?
    Yes only Standard Bank Canal Walk.

I did the online bit on eHome Affairs last night. The application form is a digital version of the one you would fill in at a branch. You have to work quite quickly as the system logs you out after a while. First time it happened I freaked out but then saw you can still continue after logging in again. There is a "save" option to save data entered as you go, however I did that and it did not save everything I entered. Still the process was OK. I applied for my son's passport, understood you have to upload copies of the parents ID's but seems that have been changed - you have to take your ID to the bank, which makes sense to me. At some point you have to choose the branch where you intend to do the biometric profile. There is a drop-down list including the banks - some ABSA banks in GP as well. Appointments slots available are week days only ranging from 09:00 to 14:00 but this beets standing in a queue for hours at a Home Affairs branch hands down. When proceeding to the payment option you have to enter a bank account number (Standard Bank only in WP). You then have to separately login to Standard Bank's online banking, go to PAY MY BILLS, search for Home Affairs in the list and sure enough there was the R400 bill. Collection on the passport will be at the bank where you did the biometric profile.

Isuzu KB300 4x4 D/C
    KTM 1050 Adventure
    BL Boskriek #659

Quote Originally Posted by WeskusKlong View Post
    Yes only Standard Bank Canal Walk.....
    Sjoe strange. Here in Gauteng both FNB, Standard and I think Nedbank does the bio metric processing. Standard bank being much better than FNB.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Sjoe strange. Here in Gauteng both FNB, Standard and I think Nedbank does the bio metric processing. Standard bank being much better than FNB.
    :-) Small prise to stay here in the colony. Fortunately no persuasion necessary to drag SWAMBO to Canal Walk mall...even though it is a 120km drive for us from Langebaan.

Isuzu KB300 4x4 D/C
    KTM 1050 Adventure
    BL Boskriek #659

24. The Following User Says Thank You to WeskusKlong For This Useful Post: