VW Transporter - Location of dual battery

Default VW Transporter - Location of dual battery

Afternoon all,

I have started pimping my 2018 VW Transporter SWB 4Motion. The first step is the installation of a dual battery system. 4x4 MegaWarehouse reckon that a loose battery box is the best solution, albeit I do not like the idea, as I feel it sloppy and a loose box in the packing bay (even if strapped down) makes packing less simple.

So who is doing what to their bus?

Default Re: VW Transporter - Location of dual battery

I placed mine under the back bench by the sliding door, and strapped it to the bench foot. They placed my wires under the mat. Very easy to remove and place back, as there is enough space to work. I will try and upload a picture tomorrow.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jcgoosen For This Useful Post:

Under the driver seat, that is where mine is.

2012 T5 4Motion DSG LWB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Runner For This Useful Post:

i Have 2 in a box behind the back seat
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination of coronaviruses
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Engel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Runner View Post
    Under the driver seat, that is where mine is.
    This sounds like a plan to me, albeit I guess I will have to consider a smaller battery.

A portable battery solution is easier, the tie downs in the rear can be removed and the bolts used to secure a frame for the battery and or ammo boxes etc.

I haven't checked the newer models but check your wiring underneath the seat - either the drivers or passenger side, you may have to relocate the wiring and plugs.

An 85 ah should fit underneath but check the dimensions first, 105 we modify the seatbase to fit.

Check if your handbrake is attached to the drivers side seat base - if you loosen the seat base you will lose the handbrake, it's easier to remove the seat for the battery fitment. We just make a metal plate for the battery holddown with cutouts for the wiring that would fit under the seat base.

Some of the models had the wiring installed for an extra battery under the passenger seat but you needed to purchase the relays and add the cable to the front fuse box. Check with vw for your model, you may not need a dc dc converter or solenoid if enabled.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HobieDave For This Useful Post:

Mine is behind the rearmost seat, two of them. Due to the seatback angle they do not hassle me with packing system installed.

CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cats For This Useful Post:

Mine came with the factory fitted one underneath passenger seat. Replaced it with a 115Ah dry cell, had to raise the seat base.

You are going to need a DC to DC charger due to the smart alternator. Projecta, Ctek or something similar.

I just came back from a trip in the Namib. 1 x 90lt NL fridge running 24/7 and a 300W inverter powering a TV and laptop at times. I also have 2 x 80W panels on the roof feeding the solar input of the DC to DC charger. The 2 panels can cope with the load but you need to drive a bit at least every third day to charge back to full capacity due to losses at night.

Quote Originally Posted by HobieDave View Post
    A portable battery solution is easier, the tie downs in the rear can be removed and the bolts used to secure a frame for the battery and or ammo boxes etc.

I haven't checked the newer models but check your wiring underneath the seat - either the drivers or passenger side, you may have to relocate the wiring and plugs.

An 85 ah should fit underneath but check the dimensions first, 105 we modify the seatbase to fit.

Check if your handbrake is attached to the drivers side seat base - if you loosen the seat base you will lose the handbrake, it's easier to remove the seat for the battery fitment. We just make a metal plate for the battery holddown with cutouts for the wiring that would fit under the seat base.

Some of the models had the wiring installed for an extra battery under the passenger seat but you needed to purchase the relays and add the cable to the front fuse box. Check with vw for your model, you may not need a dc dc converter or solenoid if enabled.
    Does the word "we" mean that you do this for income? If so, details please.

No I don't do it commercially unfortunately - I had given one to a mate to use as a template but only found out now that he had repurposed it for another project. Any queries that you may have I can try and assist.

The making of one is very simple but time consuming, remember that the seat is in two sections, so it is actually very easy to work with.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HobieDave For This Useful Post:

Some of them come standard with one pre-wired under the left front passenger seat. Generally they are fitted there. I've done my 2013 like that.
    1993 Toyota Landcruiser Camper
    2015 Ford Kuga 2.0T AWD