Am I being paranoid about camp safety?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Am I being paranoid about camp safety?

I currently have a Jurgens Xcape and my wife and myself have travelled solo to many of our surrounding countries. Of late, we have become very aware of our safety and have started to question the very thin and frail piece of canvas between ourselves when we are asleep. This is perhaps more an issue when we are in an isolated community camp or even when we are the only ones occupying a conventional park.

I have looked around at various offroad caravans and seem to see more and canvas fold out beds, ie the BL range, the lovely Bushwakka models and more so with the very stylish Invader range. Sadly, even Afrispoor with its popular Cheetah too falls into this category.

So, I'm perhaps neurotic but still I think that if we are to pursue our solo travels, I perhaps need to invest in something where if we are uncertain as to the surrounds, we can safely sleep "inside".

This brings the Kavango, Commander, Jurgens Explorer or the very expensive new UEV range with solid pull out bed walls.

Has any one else started to question their safety within the very easily slit, taut canvas bed or is it just me and my neurosis?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anton T For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Am I being paranoid about camp safety?

Quote Originally Posted by Anton T View Post
    I currently have a Jurgens Xcape and my wife and myself have travelled solo to many of our surrounding countries. Of late, we have become very aware of our safety and have started to question the very thin and frail piece of canvas between ourselves when we are asleep. This is perhaps more an issue when we are in an isolated community camp or even when we are the only ones occupying a conventional park.

I have looked around at various offroad caravans and seem to see more and canvas fold out beds, ie the BL range, the lovely Bushwakka models and more so with the very stylish Invader range. Sadly, even Afrispoor with its popular Cheetah too falls into this category.

So, I'm perhaps neurotic but still I think that if we are to pursue our solo travels, I perhaps need to invest in something where if we are uncertain as to the surrounds, we can safely sleep "inside".

This brings the Kavango, Commander, Jurgens Explorer or the very expensive new UEV range with solid pull out bed walls.

Has any one else started to question their safety within the very easily slit, taut canvas bed or is it just me and my neurosis?
    I have to admit - it is even something I think about in my RTT

In my opinion - the only way around this - is a 4x4 motorhome. At least you wont be separated from your steering wheel when push comes to shove.

I have said many times before - none of the methods we use (from a hammock to a motorhome) are perfect for all situations.
    DGO Fiddler

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anton T View Post
    I'm also worried, more afraid of humans than wild animals.
    Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jola For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    I have to admit - it is even something I think about in my RTT

In my opinion - the only way around this - is a 4x4 motorhome. At least you wont be separated from your steering wheel when push comes to shove.

I have said many times before - none of the methods we use (from a hammock to a motorhome) are perfect for all situations.
    Good idea to have a strong man with
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OFFROAD ADDICT For This Useful Post:

I think the focus of safety is more important around people or in isolated spots but close to walking distances to settlements.
    This in particular to human interference which is the more tricky part to protect against.

My solution is to camp in places where I am hidden and out of the walking paths and not close to villages unless:
    - I make an arrangement with the village chief who allows me to camp or
    - Designated camping spot by an operator.

In the wild, keep all your food stuff away and locked up and nothing in the tent.

There is no protection against a guy with a knife, only defense.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

I don't think your paranoid just wise had to make the same decision with my Xcape bought Gecko.
    Happy so far.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to albertdc For This Useful Post:

No, you are not alone with that consideration. Friends of ours have bought a Conqueror Commander for that very reason. You don't have to flip open the front bed nor lift up the roof. That way canvas isn't exposed and you are inside a metal tin.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    No, you are not alone with that consideration. Friends of ours have bought a Conqueror Commander for that very reason. You don't have to flip open the front bed nor lift up the roof. That way canvas isn't exposed and you are inside a metal tin.
    What an expense ..Just go to remote places in a Skipper ..You will be fine

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

This was a major deciding factor when we bought ours. Plus itís extremely convenient for one night stop overs. We travel with the bed made up, stop, and you are ready to go. As safe as you possibly can be while camping.

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

I think we perceive the canvas to be more vulnerable, but if someone wants to come in, neither a piece of canvas, window, thin steel or wooden door will keep them out.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

19. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

When it comes to predators? Thick canvas and RTT creates a false sense of security. But then - what are the odds? That is for you to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I think we perceive the canvas to be more vulnerable, but if someone wants to come in, neither a piece of canvas, window, thin steel or wooden door will keep them out.
    True. And even if you are in a tin box how do you escape? Sitting behind my desk I can think of many ways of getting someone out of a 'tin box' without working too hard but I won't elaborate because I don't know who's reading this post. (There's some guys with strange names on this forum :-) Anyway, if you get to a place and feel unsafe...move on.
    Last edited by Bullterrier; 2019/04/02 at 08:07 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Bullterrier For This Useful Post:

Think about that for a while... should a fire break out and you cant open the door...
    I think everything will become a paranoia if you sit and think about it..

But safety is important...

Ito animals, they don't know it's canvas or any other material. They are purely inquisitive about this strange (meat smelling ) obstacle that resembles a rock.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

The moment there is canvas over or under you, you are not safe. Take the Jurgens Explorer as example, mamma and papa sleeps on the double bed, very safe and the little ones must sleep in the front under canvas that is so easy to open because it is fastened with a rubber band underneath the foldout sleeping bench. That is why I changed to a conventional caravan that has solid walls and a locked door.
    Alles loop reg, altyd reg!!

paranoid

- Unreasonably or obsessively anxious, suspicious, or mistrustful.

- feeling extremely nervous and worried because you believe that other people do not like you or are trying to harm you

- An unrealistic distrust of others or a feeling of being persecuted

I don't think one needs to be paranoid. (Although this country tends to have that effect)

You are probably 10 x more likely to get killed on the road to your destination, than at your destination.

Being informed about your surroundings, situational awareness, being prepared and some common sense go a long way in helping to minimize risk at a campsite.

People are attacked inside security estates with barbed and electric fences, CCTV cameras, guards and armed response, access control, etc.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

If you are worried about safety (of the 2 legged kind), you are camping in the wrong places . All the places we booked for the year are exclusive places where you book the whole place. All are off grid and not within walking distance...but as George said, nothing can really stop them if they want to get in. A simple crowbar to a caravan door will give you easier and quicker access than cutting the canvas on a off-road caravan or RTT to try and gain access...

I suspect that most thieves are cowards so they are not going to risk getting into your van with you in it, not knowing what is waiting inside. A tik kop will do that but who camps where they are around? They will go for things outside or in your vehicle where they are sure of a quick getaway.

I'm talking about the average thief. Not armed gangs. That is something else...again, probably camping in the wrong place it that is a possibility..
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2019/04/02 at 09:12 AM.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

I agree with Michael. Unless you camp in a military Ratel, no other van will keep you 'safe'. So to say you purchase a certain brand because you feel safer is definitely driven by paranoia in my opinion. Choose your campsites carefully. Carry some form of protection be it a taser,pepper spray or something more extreme. I feel safer camping than sleeping in my house where I have to arm an alarm every night, have extra security precautions etc.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2019 VW Tiguan 4mtion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Im in the process of ordering the new Ratel 4 and after reading this thread, well, back to square one again.
    I understand that if they want to get in, they will, doesn't matter if it is canvas or metal.
    Think it all boils down to type of camping I guess.
    Yes for a one night stopover or two nights at a camp not leaving your caravan, it is a bit more secured. The problem I have is that moving from a road caravan to a bush caravan, yes most trips will be for one or two nights, but we also go camping twice a year for two weeks at the coast. That is where the problem comes in I guess. Leaving your caravan for the whole day while going to the beach with wife and kids, I think the risk with a solid sleeping area is less than that with canvas.
    I might be wrong I know, "if they want to get in they will".
    They watch you setup camp, just rubbers pulling over the bed area, and they think... " that looks easy. Lift the elastic rubber and the whole sleeping area becomes a entrance to your caravan "
    As I mentioned, im totally new to the whole offroad caravan scenario but that is just my thoughts.
    Will go have a look at the new UEV -17 the weekend with the hard pull out beds and will give some thoughts on them as well. Else it is the Ratel for sure with its canvas beds
    Stefan

2018 Toyota Hilux V6 auto 4X4 double cab with a few extra's
    2019 Bush Lapa Ratel 4
    2019 BMW X1 M-Sport 2.0D (Swambo platkar)
    2018 Toyota Etios Sprint (daily platkar drive)
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 auto 4X4 double cab - sold
    2016 Volvo V40 D4 Geartronic - sold
    2008 Gypsey Gold Caravan - sold

34. The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4Superman For This Useful Post:

We need to take care:- I am finding far fewer people camping since the fuel price increases.

On two recent trips in the Northern Cape I was the only camper and felt like a sitting duck. I have never seen sites where we used to stop-over on the way north so deserted. Much less traffic on the roads.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast