Advice buy house on South Coast

Default Advice buy house on South Coast

Hi all
    I am looking to buy a little place on the Natal South Coast, probably Hibberdene area. It will be mainly for holiday and maybe to make a few bucks as an air bnb or something.
    After looking at this thread I am not sure if it is the right thing to do...

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-in-Hibberdene

But then again it is 5 years later. Has it changed for better or worse? I am looking to spend around R600k so won't find anything on the North Coast.

Any advice?
    Last edited by Johnna; 2019/04/01 at 01:47 PM.

Default Re: Advice buy house on South Coast

Regardless of area etc - running a rental home / AirBnB that you rely on others to clean, administer etc can become a) costly and b) stressful / a bit of a nightmare.

I'd say rather invest that R 600 k and pay to rent a spot when you go down to the South Coast.

Nice to have the flexibility to go to new places rather than get tied to one spot.

Also, one always ends up spending 2/3rds of your holiday doing maintenance etc if it's your own place.

Coming from the experience of having had two family holiday homes (one in the Berg and one on the North Coast).

Special memories and we were very very privileged but the stress sometimes isn't worth it.
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Andrew5336 For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't buy a property on the south coast at the moment. With all the development up the north, the south is rotting, for now... i'm hopeful there will come a time though that it will be right to buy down south again, but I fear that might only be when the North loses it's appeal and the development there slows down.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

I'm not a financial advisor, nor is this financial advice, just my thoughts:Invest R600K and you'll probably get around R40K/year interest.Add to that rates&Taxes (R12K), property management & security costs (R10K), purchase costs, electricity costs, domestic services, etc, etc and you may well end up with close to R70 000 per year to spend on your annual holiday accommodation... (and R600K).
    red wine and nature are my hobbies

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ralton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ralton View Post
    I'm not a financial advisor, nor is this financial advice, just my thoughts:Invest R600K and you'll probably get around R40K/year interest.Add to that rates&Taxes (R12K), property management & security costs (R10K), purchase costs, electricity costs, domestic services, etc, etc and you may well end up with close to R70 000 per year to spend on your annual holiday accommodation... (and R600K).
    Thats assuming the OP is a cash buyer and not bonding it. Could be that they have an extra 6K disposable income per month that they want to by a holiday house with.

Putting 6k a month into a savings account won't do much earning interest.

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    Thats assuming the OP is a cash buyer and not bonding it. Could be that they have an extra 6K disposable income per month that they want to by a holiday house with.Putting 6k a month into a savings account won't do much earning interest.
    Why are you talking about R6K/month - Johnna said he had R600K to buy...
    red wine and nature are my hobbies

"I wouldn't buy a property on the south coast at the moment. With all the development up the north, the south is rotting, for now... i'm hopeful there will come a time though that it will be right to buy down south again, but I fear that might only be when the North loses it's appeal and the development there slows down."

I think the complete opposite, the north coast is way over priced. Far too over crowded. Homes way over priced.

On the south coast there are good value homes at reasonable prices. Speak to Pat at remax, over the last 6 months they are selling houses like you can't believe. It seams that everybody is moving here. Some big developments happening this way and many in the pipe line. A few big housing complex's and retirement homes being built down south.

I spoke to two separate couples yesterday both had just moved from the cape. One had been here 6 months now and loving it.

I would give Hibberdene a miss. For a few reasons, one reason is the beautiful blue flag beach looks like Durban beach on Christmas and new-years day.

Pumula is the place to live, between Port Shepstone and Hibberdene. Crime in Pumula is very low, due to the distance from towns.

Stay away from shelly beach side, traffic is heavy. stay away from Margate, ramsgate, etc.

The south coast has 7 blue flag beaches, more than any other coast. We have 3 blue flag beaches very close to Pumula.

Now is the time to buy down the south coast, before elections.

Don't buy it as a holiday home buy it as a future retirement home.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to K-9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    I wouldn't buy a property on the south coast at the moment. With all the development up the north, the south is rotting, for now... i'm hopeful there will come a time though that it will be right to buy down south again, but I fear that might only be when the North loses it's appeal and the development there slows down.
    Not sure I agree
    Doesnt matter what the state of the market is, the south coast is very pretty
    Maybe time to buy some "pretty" at a good price while others are focused elsewhere

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Maartendeneef For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
    "
    I think the complete opposite, the north coast is way over priced. Far too over crowded. Homes way over priced.

On the south coast there are good value homes at reasonable prices. .
    Have to agree. I just bought a spot in Pennington. Good value for money. Secure and quiet, and an hours drive from the Airport. Got a flatlet that I will AirBnB.
    2013 Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4
    2015 Isuzu KB300

Johann

-----------------------------------------------------

Never test the depth of the water with both feet - W.E.Tnuts

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BroJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroJ View Post
    Have to agree. I just bought a spot in Pennington. Good value for money. Secure and quiet, and an hours drive from the Airport. Got a flatlet that I will AirBnB.
    Neighbour was in Uvongo month ago, swimming banned due to pollution, lagune was black and smelly
    Last edited by julius caesar; 2019/04/28 at 08:44 AM.
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Quote Originally Posted by julius caesar View Post
    Neighbour was in Uvongo month ago, swimming banned due to pollution, lagune was black and smelly
    The beach was washed away with the last coastal floods. No more lagoon. All rubbish has been removed, and only organic matter, remains.

This was yesterday
    Name:  IMG_20190427_120207.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  119.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Johnna View Post
    Hi all
    I am looking to buy a little place on the Natal South Coast, probably Hibberdene area. It will be mainly for holiday and maybe to make a few bucks as an air bnb or something.
    After looking at this thread I am not sure if it is the right thing to do...

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-in-Hibberdene

But then again it is 5 years later. Has it changed for better or worse? I am looking to spend around R600k so won't find anything on the North Coast.

Any advice?
    You should try Chintsa east outside East London.

this place is booming.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    The beach was washed away with the last coastal floods. No more lagoon. All rubbish has been removed, and only organic matter, remains.

This was yesterday
    Name:  IMG_20190427_120207.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  119.2 KB
    Thanks for update, glad to hear. But Mother Nature has now treated the symptom, i.e dirty beach.

What concerns me, as i am a pollution hater, esp re water, what is being done about the cause - sewage flowing downriver from interior? Margate lost its Blue flag last time i heard.

Do not understand me wrong, i have a share in a cc on a house in Uvongo available to purchase, but somehow i get the impression this share is now suddenly available due to pollution. Other members of cc are more interested in pub crawling and social, rather than swimming, so they do not really care about state of beaches over there. Two years ago swimming at Margate was banned, last time we stayed in this house
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
    "I wouldn't buy a property on the south coast at the moment. With all the development up the north, the south is rotting, for now... i'm hopeful there will come a time though that it will be right to buy down south again, but I fear that might only be when the North loses it's appeal and the development there slows down."

On the south coast there are good value homes at reasonable prices. Speak to Pat at remax, over the last 6 months they are selling houses like you can't believe. It seams that everybody is moving here. Some big developments happening this way and many in the pipe line. A few big housing complex's and retirement homes being built down south.

I spoke to two separate couples yesterday both had just moved from the cape. One had been here 6 months now and loving it.

I would give Hibberdene a miss. For a few reasons, one reason is the beautiful blue flag beach looks like Durban beach on Christmas and new-years day.

Pumula is the place to live, between Port Shepstone and Hibberdene. Crime in Pumula is very low, due to the distance from towns.

Stay away from shelly beach side, traffic is heavy. stay away from Margate, ramsgate, etc.

The south coast has 7 blue flag beaches, more than any other coast. We have 3 blue flag beaches very close to Pumula.

Now is the time to buy down the south coast, before elections.

Don't buy it as a holiday home buy it as a future retirement home.
    I have recently bought in Umzumbe. A lovely little village surrounding the Pumula Beach Hotel. There are no Garages, Bottle Stores, Supermarkets. Non of your normal outlets where undesirable people hang-out . The community is very active in keeping the village clean and tidy and have just cleaned the beaches after last weekends Floods. There is a beautiful Blue Flag Beach close to all the houses +- 3km max. The Local community have installed CCTV monitors at all the possible crime spots like at the beach parking lots and these are monitored by a security Company24/7 that we all contribute to. The local Whats App page is very active and issues get sorted out very quick, I would recommend anyone wanting to purchase a Holiday or possible Retirement home to look at Umzumbe, If you are wanting the high-life with lots of pubs and music then you need to look at the North Coast. I think I did my Homework well looking at all areas both North and South, There are 2 Malls at Shelly Beach which is 15-20 min away and 6 k in either direction gives you an abundance of shops. there are a few private Hospitals at both Port Shepstone and Shelly Beach, I am very happy with my purchase and love the location..

There is just sooo much to do within a reasonable drive from anywhere on the South Coast. Oribi Gorge, Ingeli Forest, Vernon Crooks, etc. My favourite is the Umtamvuna Nature Reserve; hardly any people ever, jungles, majestic cliffs, unique forest wildlife. I know crime is a major problem there (I still cringe whenever I think of my beloved Trafalgar where a teenager was stabbed to death for her cellphone and the gang rape in Pennington) but it has arguably the best climate imaginable. If it's too windy for the beach, go hike in a forest or do a 4x4 trail. If it's raining, which it often will, go have a curry or seafood bisque at a restaurant with a view. You can even make a day of it and go have lunch and a pint at Sani Top and be home before dark. I love the smell and verdant subtropical ambiance of the place; if there were any viable job opportunities I'd move there tomorrow!
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

On the bike forum somebody asked are there any decent rides in the area? This was my reply these are for dual motorbikes, but many of these are perfect for a day out gravel drive.

Very nice rides the BEST dual riding in the country.

1. Hibberdene to sipofu, fantastic high speed knee down tar twisties (better than the sabie 22) and good gravel rides in the area. several options it can be done several times without going on the same road.
    2. fantastic route from Hibberdene via farm, forest, rural road, rivers, mountains. onto st faith road and back to margate. fantastic ride.
    3. leopard rock a must for lunch. explore fantastic gravel roads in orib gorge area to izinolweni area onto n2 and back padock to margate. Several routes here.
    3a. Explore oribi gorge roads and past the cement factory. see where "bike talk" tried filming the HD foot scraping around each corner.
    4. a ride to almost kokstad and breakfast at Ingeli Forest Resort
    5. port Shepstone to izinolweni turn off n2 by boxer head towards bizana fantastic gravel road. onto R61 and back to margate.
    6. One of the biggest sand pit play areas in the area - bigger than the beach. Just now the sand thief's will find it??
    7. st faths road to highflats turn left and go back home via umzimkulu.
    8. st faths road to highflats turn right and go back home via umzinto.
    9. margate to umzimkulu to umzinto and home.
    10. Ride the R102 to umkomas for breakfast and back home, stay on the R102 all the way and avoid the N2 completely.
    11. hela hela is almost in reach.
    12. so is Ixopo to Richmond, breakfast at the oaks, that can be done.
    13. st faiths to Ixopo then to Underberg and back via kokstad.

Do you want more, how long are you here for. how long do you want to ride??

And try. Explore The Southern Explorer Routes. T1 to T9 routes https://southernexplorer.co.za
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4