Charge controler

Default Charge controler

Hi Guys, sorry this has been dealt with before, but I had a cheapie solar controller and it packed up on the first day of a 5 day trip. This controller lasted 1.5 years. I am looking at the victron-bluesolar-pwm-charge-controller-12-24v-20a/PLID51856261

My setup is simple, 2 80 watt panels connected together.

Please advise best controller, but not priced for the rich only

Thank you

Default Re: Charge controler

If at all possible, rather look at an MPPT type controller. They use available voltage/current more efficiently.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sakkie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Paul View Post
    Hi Guys, sorry this has been dealt with before, but I had a cheapie solar controller and it packed up on the first day of a 5 day trip. This controller lasted 1.5 years. I am looking at the victron-bluesolar-pwm-charge-controller-12-24v-20a/PLID51856261

My setup is simple, 2 80 watt panels connected together.

Please advise best controller, but not priced for the rich only

Thank you
    If all you want is a Solar charge controller, that is a great choice.

Edit I need to look at that spec. I didn't even know they make a PWM charger.

Edit Edit - you pays your money and you ……… Its actually quite a very nice quality charger with nice functions for the price. MPPT is not that important in mobile camping systems in Southern Africa. It only really makes a discernable difference in fixed installations in colder climates. And, believe it or not, when the chips are down it can knock the socks off a MPPT.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2019/03/28 at 04:27 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post

Well yes, then there we go.

The difference between a R450 PWM controller and a R5000 MPPT Engineering masterpiece, is getting the battery charged by 12h27, instead of 12h03.

MPPT's are King when you are looking at 100% total own consumption systems.

If you aren't going to consume all you generate, think about something else.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

I have 2 x 80W panels and a Steca PR2020. Bought it used about 5 years ago. Serves me okay.

Thanks for the replies, I will go ahead with the purchase

Thanks again

Hi guys,

To add to this, what are the complications "if any" if the two 80 watt panels put out 19.1 volt at a given time, but I am only running a fridge off the battery the solar is charging. If the battery is at 100% full, does the charging stop or is this where the controller comes in only allowing charging to happen once there is a decrease in the battery voltage?

Is it harmful to batteries and devices keeping the solar out the entire day even if all is at 100% or does it make no difference?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Paul View Post
    Hi guys,

Is it harmful to batteries and devices keeping the solar out the entire day even if all is at 100% or does it make no difference?

Thanks
    Solar panels on houses are connected 24/7. Your charge controller controls the charge state of the batteries.
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

There would be no harm as the controller will stop charging when battery/ies are full and start charging the moment you use any battery power.

Like Prof indicated solar systems are also charged in the same way as you will be doing with no harm.

Thanks

Can never be too sure

Paul I have my two 80w panels connected to the same Victron PWM solar controler. Works a charm, at max sun charges at 14.7v and then when fully charged little light on the solar controler indicates "float" charge. Battery (102Ah) is five years old - still charges full, however I keep it connected to an intelligent charger in the garage when not in use.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Johan Engelbrecht; 2019/04/03 at 07:21 PM.
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

Looks and sounds good Johan, thanks.

If you're going Victron might as well spend a little more and get their MPPT. I have the Victron Smartsolar MPPT 75v/15A and I'll never look back... especially at only R1600... money well worth spent.

My set up on Dinky the trailer is a 100W solid panel, a PWM 10 amp controller and a Royal 1150K battery. I asked when I installed it a lot of the same questions about isolating and so on. I leave it connected 24/7 and check on it now and again. Most times I see a full battery and a flashing red light indicating that it is dumping volts.

Went on the weekend camping and my mate forgot his 220V cable for his fridge, so I gave him mine and just ran my fridge off the solar. Every time I checked the system was doing exactly as planned. In the morning I had 3-4 yellow lights and the green input lights glowing. Within a few hours I was full again, all yellow lights lit up and no green. The controller again flashing it's red light.

So unfortunately I have to agree with Fluffy 100%. Battery R1700, panel R1000, PWM R300, wiring around R400. So for less than R3500 I have a stand alone system that is easily backed up by a plug in battery charger if 220V is available.

In Pajtu I have the NL powerpack onto which I bolted a PWM controller, direct connection bypassing any solenoid, and use a 100W semi flex. I get very good results with this especially in early morning and afternoon light.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post: