Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: smart charger working under load

Hi
    I also have a PSA008 charger. In the manual it says it can charge batteries up to 150AH
    So what will happen if I try to charge a 200 AH or 2 x 105AH parallel connected batteries?
    Can this cause damage to the charger or the batteries, or will it just charge a bit slower.
    Thanks
    Hugo
    Hugo Burger
    Ranger 3.2
    Baobab 1796 "Boom Huis"

The PS008 is on special at Midas now for just over R 900 . MAybe cheaper to just replace.

2016 Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Dc
    2019 Wildebeest Serengeti

Quote Originally Posted by Hubu View Post
    Hi
    I also have a PSA008 charger. In the manual it says it can charge batteries up to 150AH
    So what will happen if I try to charge a 200 AH or 2 x 105AH parallel connected batteries?
    Can this cause damage to the charger or the batteries, or will it just charge a bit slower.
    Thanks
    Hugo
    You won't cause damage to the charger. It's charging time will definitely go up with battery capacity.
    Charging 2 batteries at the same time could prevent the charger to detect the individual battery states properly and adjust the charging sequence accordingly.
    If there is a de-sulfatation sequence, it would become less effective or not effective at all, since it requires a certain amount of current in relation to the battery capacity. Connect a larger capacity battery and the charger's max current might not be sufficient to do the job.
    It will still charge the battery, just slower.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

So here I'm reading all this thinking, what would I do?
    If I needed to replace or buy a new charger, I would consider to get one that can not only charge lead acid batteries, but also lithium's, cause the chances are that at one stage I will get tired of lead acid replacements and just bite the bullet.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...30V_EN_web.pdf

As a matter of fact, here is another "out of the box" idea. I recently needed to recharge a 3.2v 100ah lithium cell, 2 in fact, so I did this ... takes like 2-3 days, but that is also good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charging Lithium.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	611001   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charging Lithium2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	611002   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charging Lithium3.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	611003  
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

Context:
    I am now also considering taking our camping power set-up out of the 4x4 and setting it up at home - My small solar panel (80 or 90 W ?) with it's own controller, together with a charger from mains power, and permanently connected to mains - but no feedback to mains.
    The charger to run when mains power is on together with the solar panel if daylight

Intention is to to run a 1 000 W inverter during loadshedding.
    Inverter would be manually switched off shortly after mains power returns and would likewise be manually switched on when no mains available.

Questions:
    Is it better to have two (say) 100 AH or 105 AH batteries, linked to provide 12V
    OR
    One (Say) 200 AH or 240 AH battery.
    In each case what charger would be recommended to fully re-charge within a day or so with the solar panel - while protecting against over charging?

What protection / fuses / anti surge, etc. would be needed, if any ?

I am already looking at some other alternatives but all a bit too price heavy for me right now.
    Looking for an interim solution for about 4 years, before developing further in this direction.

Thanks for any input.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Context:
    I am now also considering taking our camping power set-up out of the 4x4 and setting it up at home - My small solar panel (80 or 90 W ?) with it's own controller, together with a charger from mains power, and permanently connected to mains - but no feedback to mains.
    The charger to run when mains power is on together with the solar panel if daylight

Intention is to to run a 1 000 W inverter during loadshedding.
    Inverter would be manually switched off shortly after mains power returns and would likewise be manually switched on when no mains available.

Questions:
    Is it better to have two (say) 100 AH or 105 AH batteries, linked to provide 12V
    If you already have a 100Ah I would be inclined to say just add a second 100Ah. Then do a capacity test of the older battery to see when it start nearling end of live. Even if you don't have a good old battery I would still go the 2x100Ah route. They tend to offer better value for money looking at pricing. R2300 for AGM from "Thesunpays.co.za"
    OR
    One (Say) 200 AH or 240 AH battery.
    In each case what charger would be recommended to fully re-charge within a day or so with the solar panel - while protecting against over charging?
    If preparing for 1 LS of stage 2 per day a 8A intelligent charger plus the solar controller should be enough to re-charge in 20 hours. Just ensure you don't use more than 50% of the 200Ah available.

What protection / fuses / anti surge, etc. would be needed, if any ?
    Beny/Scneider DC anti surge unit on the panel.
    https://www.inverter-warehouse.co.za...-600v-bud-40-2
    or similar
    Blade fuse holder with 10A fuse before it goes into the solar controller.

Strip fuse holder with 50-80A fuse between battery and inverter from 4x4direct

I am already looking at some other alternatives but all a bit too price heavy for me right now.
    Looking for an interim solution for about 4 years, before developing further in this direction.

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2021/04/04 at 01:03 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

I do have two 100 AH (Aux.) in the back of the 4x4and one 90 AH "backup" also there.

Of course I will first get them re-charged at the Battery Centre (Not accepting charge from my 12 amp charger) and then tested.
    So I expect that I need to buy either the one big battery or, again two 100 + amp hour batteries.

But I note the comment that it is more effective to get two instead of one larger capacity - just not sure that I understand the logic.

Surely one larger battery is better ?
    Maybe there are considerations to take into account.

I am going to need to do this quite soon and don't want to make a poor decision.

I do have a small 7 amp pulse charger that I use on the old Suuz starter battery to keep it OK.
    Then I have the so called, smart, 12 amp charger that I use on the aux batteries.

However I think that if I get new (2) or one larger battery then I may need a stronger charger or is this not so ?
    Forgive me if these questions are stupid but my electrickery knowledge is not at the top level.

Remember that I am now looking at a loadshedding situation at home - not a mobile camping setup.

Thanks for all advice received so far, really appreciated.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    I do have two 100 AH (Aux.) in the back of the 4x4and one 90 AH "backup" also there.

Of course I will first get them re-charged at the Battery Centre (Not accepting charge from my 12 amp charger) and then tested.
    So I expect that I need to buy either the one big battery or, again two 100 + amp hour batteries.

But I note the comment that it is more effective to get two instead of one larger capacity - just not sure that I understand the logic.

Surely one larger battery is better ?
    Maybe there are considerations to take into account.

I am going to need to do this quite soon and don't want to make a poor decision.

I do have a small 7 amp pulse charger that I use on the old Suuz starter battery to keep it OK.
    Then I have the so called, smart, 12 amp charger that I use on the aux batteries.

However I think that if I get new (2) or one larger battery then I may need a stronger charger or is this not so ?
    Forgive me if these questions are stupid but my electrickery knowledge is not at the top level.

Remember that I am now looking at a loadshedding situation at home - not a mobile camping setup.

Thanks for all advice received so far, really appreciated.
    Something to consider - a 200AH battery is almost impossible for even a young fit fellow to carry more than a few meters. You wont lift it onto the back of a bakkie or a shelf.

Two separate batteries leaves the option open for upgrading to a 24V system.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Peter just something on "not taking charge" If your smart and 7A pulse charger does not manage to charge those batteries just connect 2 pieces of 6 sq mm wire from your starting battery to one of them on a short trip to the shops(30min+). If they are still sound this should be enough for the smart and pulse charger to take over and charge them. Or you can ask Battery Centre to charge each one for an hour or 2 before trying yourself or as indicated let them check if they can take charge or past sell by date and charge to full.

As indicated the 12A charger should put the 100Ah you used between LS events back if you are using 2. During a sunshine day even after allowing for the lower PV of KZN compared to JHB you should be able to put 14Ah into the batteries with your 80W panel.

Also make sure that after charge you do a load test with a car headlamp bulb en check how many hours the bulb burns up to the point where the battery voltage drops to 12V. Just a quick and simple more or less test. You can also ask Battery Centre to do such a test with their fancy equipment.

I would for sure take note of Fluffys comment on the weight of a 200Ah.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

OK, thanks all.
    I have decided for various reasons, some mentioned above.
    I have purchased 2 x 110 AH deep cycle lead acid batteries as replacements.
    I will be moving them into my workshop with the 1 000 W inverter to act as power backup during loadshedding and will run an extension cord to the house for that purpose.
    Obviously not using workshop equipment - just to run 1 PC + screen and one TV and two LED lights.
    For now I have been continuing with the 12 Amp charger in conjunction with the solar panel to re-charge, but we have not had power cut since changing so ??
    Assuming that the batteries are not more than 50% discharged would the 7 Amp pulse charger maintain them at full charge in the interim?
    Then use the 12 Amp and solar only after a load shed period ?
    If so, any idea of how long it would take to re-charge to full?

NB:
    This is an interim solution due to some unexpected medical costs (AGAIN!).
    I expect to upgrade the system a bit more in two years or so.
    In the meantime I hope that this set up will "hold the fort".

I have been recommended to rather get the CTEC MXS-5 charger (About R 1 900 odd).
    Any comments ?

I have become aware that this is a very different application to the camping situation when overlanding.
    e.g. No Alternator charging going on !!!! (Eish).

Thanks all who have given advice thus far.
    Peter Hutchison

For estimation my guess would be 6-8A going into the 2 batteries after a LS event. To get the 50% back is 100Ah. About 13 to 17 hours.
    Yes if the 7Aintelligent is the one sold in a blue box then it will be able to keep them fully charged up to a LS event.

Peter you are really getting organized! Don't forget to post regular reports on your set-up.

Does the charger stay permanently connected to the batteries?

Is there no risk of fire?

Any advice on fuses for this set-up.

I recently had a battery charging cable short in my car and catch fire the flames and smoke were impressive.

Also should we be earthing our car inverters to the chassis? I use a small one 500W for electric blankets when camping etc. Any tips on safeguarding our inverters (other than keeping them cool)?

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

I have been recommended to rather get the CTEC MXS-5 charger (About R 1 900 odd).
    Any comments ?

Have a look at the victron blue smart charger 15A with 3 outputs - will be about R800 more.

If eskoms denial of service goes back to 4 hours twice a day, you will need more charging capacity for your intended loads.
    Last edited by HobieDave; 2021/04/09 at 03:31 PM.
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to HobieDave For This Useful Post:

Wink Re: smart charger working under load

Thanks Dave - will investigate that.

The base is:

I need a reliable system for the next 3 (or so) years for those limited needs (as of now) and then intend to upgrade later, probably,
    If Squirrel does not get things right, then even to a larger solar system.

Having said that (as the saying goes these days), there is NO way that I (We) can afford a full scale solar facility and not only that - due to the nature (pun intended) of our property (Think trees, bushes, = shaded areas etc. as well as the regional weather conditions).

On the other hand we will not long be able to afford the ever escalating Eskom / Municipal power supply prices.
    So ultimately will be looking at some middle ground to best economic effect.

I am very sure that there are many other older folk looking at similar scenarios.
    So - ALL advice and comments - good, bad, indifferent are welcome.
    Maybe the indifferent ones should just abstain.
    Peter Hutchison

Peter, as finances allow, look for a couple of additional panels.

Your one panel will not recharge your batteries in a day.
    Errol Cornelius

Citroen C5
    Touareg V8
    Audi A6 3.0 Avant

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3