Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default smart charger working under load

I have a question for the fundis on smart chargers being used under load.

We have moved our camping power rig into the house now as a load shedding stop gap, to run the basics. One small fridge, a tv and internet etc, some LED lights that sort of thing.

I have a PSD008 smart charger connected to charge the battery back up after a load-shedding event, but now I am wondering, in the event that we are out or otherwise occupied when the power comes back on, and cant disconnect all the loads and put them back onto mains when the power comes back on, will the charger be able to cope with charging the battery with load on.

Will the load confuse the smart chargers cycling? Charger max output is 8 amps, I doubt the draw from a few led strips and an inverter charging cellphones and running a wifi router would come close to that? the fridge switches to mains automatically, so that isn't an issue.

Default Re: smart charger working under load

It should not be a problem but I don't know the operation of the charger in question.

Just a question. Why would your fridge go back to the grid when power comes back and not all the other loads as well?

I donít really know the PSD, but the smart charger I use for battery maintenance kicks out as soon as a load is detected. It does not charge while there is current being drawn from the battery.

Perhaps test it, and see what happens.

I have the same charger and it will continue on the stage it was on before the power went off. No problem.

But the fact that it continues on the same stage it was at when the power went off is a problem for me, I need it to start the charge cycle from the beginning and charge the batteries full cycle.

With this charger, you need to disconnect it from the battery and reconnect it, for its to start from the first stage again.

I am currently looking for a charger that will basically reset itself when the power is back.
    Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2019/03/27 at 11:59 AM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    I have the same charger and it will continue on the stage it was on before the power went off. No problem.

But the fact that it continues on the same stage it was at when the power went off is a problem for me, I need it to start the charge cycle from the beginning and charge the batteries full cycle.

With this charger, you need to disconnect it from the battery and reconnect it, for its to start from the first stage again.

I am currently looking for a charger that will basically reset itself when the power is back.
    From my experience this is not a problem, it tests the battery a number of times during charging stages, and if it detects a discharge has occurred, it will go back to the appropriate stage

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    It should not be a problem but I don't know the operation of the charger in question.

Just a question. Why would your fridge go back to the grid when power comes back and not all the other loads as well?
    I am referring to my Engel camping fridge. I am using it as a freezer and have moved all the critical stuff (meat and chicken etc) to there.

I have the 12v and 240volt cables connected, and the power supply automatically defaults to 220volt when the power is on

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    From my experience this is not a problem, it tests the battery a number of times during charging stages, and if it detects a discharge has occurred, it will go back to the appropriate stage
    Are you also using the PSD008 smart charger?
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Are you also using the PSD008 smart charger?
    Yes. Psd008 from midas

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    Yes. Psd008 from midas
    Does it charge while there is a load on the battery?

My PSA008 is permanently connected to my 12V home system.

It is switched on on cloudy days when my solar is struggling to charge batteries.

I use it as a charger that would be in a bi-directional inverter.

While it is switched on, fridge also does it thing, cycling as needed, no issues from PAS008 charger.

Going on three years like that
    '98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    Does it charge while there is a load on the battery?
    It hasn't had to yet, but with my current set up, it will if I am not around to sell the loads off the investor and back to mains....

I realize this is an old thread but I am still looking for answers.

My PSA008 does the same thing. While drawing current off the battery, the charger does not sense the drop in battery charge. After 3 days of running back-up items off the inverter, the battery was drained. The charger remained at stage 9. Only when I disconnected/reconnected the charger did it wake up and start charging again.

I will destroy by battery within a few weeks with this setup.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sawdust For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    I realize this is an old thread but I am still looking for answers.

My PSA008 does the same thing. While drawing current off the battery, the charger does not sense the drop in battery charge. After 3 days of running back-up items off the inverter, the battery was drained. The charger remained at stage 9. Only when I disconnected/reconnected the charger did it wake up and start charging again.

I will destroy by battery within a few weeks with this setup.

I have the same issue with the PSA008 charger, I have two 12V systems running, one for the TV, Router, lights on an inverter and another powering a 80L National Luna that we now use as freezer to keep the meat frozen during extended loadshedding periods.

I bought a small 5Amp C-Tec and so far it seems to be outperforming the PSA charger at least it restarts the charging cycle after a loadshedding session.

Are there any 12V timers available that can be scheduled to disconnect the charging leads for a period ? I suppose if you have loadshedding during that time it will also not help.
    2009 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 Raider D/C AT

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jurgen10 For This Useful Post:

My manual says this ...

Pulse (Stage 9): Maintaining the battery at 95-100% capacity. The charger monitors the
    battery voltage and gives a pulse when necessary to keep the battery fully charged

and

Charge Memory
    If power off on charging, PSD008 can automatically restart charging based on previous
    power down status for battery and charging current.

ATTENTION: Once the clamp of charger is disconnected from the battery, this memory is
    erased and the charging mode will need to be reselected.
    Last edited by Stranger; 2020/02/26 at 08:46 AM.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jurgen10 View Post
    Are there any 12V timers available that can be scheduled to disconnect the charging leads for a period ? I suppose if you have loadshedding during that time it will also not help.
    These timers as per the normal 220V AC timers are available for 12V locally but I can't remember who sells them.

As the 220V versions with the plug on is also timed with low voltage battery may be they can be modified to work from 12V DC. Only the charging circuit as well as the output will have to be rewired.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12v-timer.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	559635

Well I have just ordered a Victron charger, as I should have done from the beginning. The PSA will now do duty in the garage to charge car batteries only. I am a little disappointed to say the least.

After 36hours of charging, the battery is finally at stage 8. I left it on fast charge since this morning.
    Last edited by Sawdust; 2020/02/26 at 04:29 PM.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sawdust For This Useful Post:

Got me wondering if there is a difference between the PSA and the PSD, other than the obvious.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jurgen10 View Post
    I have the same issue with the PSA008 charger, I have two 12V systems running, one for the TV, Router, lights on an inverter and another powering a 80L National Luna that we now use as freezer to keep the meat frozen during extended loadshedding periods.

I bought a small 5Amp C-Tec and so far it seems to be outperforming the PSA charger at least it restarts the charging cycle after a loadshedding session.

What model C-Tec did you get? and the price, if you don't me asking?
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Been following these threads and have not seen anything on automatic transfer switches.
    Seems to me one of these can avoid a lot of the problems being discussed.
    You run on Escom direct and batteries get charged and inverter is idle. When LS comes in the inverter takes over. Depending on the switch you install, this can be instant or even a couple of seconds delay. When power comes back, Escom power goes direct, the inverter goes idle and the batteries get charged?
    Am I missing something?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auto transfer switch.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	277.8 KB 
ID:	559722
    https://www.banggood.com/63A-2P-50HZ...r_warehouse=CN

What model C-Tec did you get? and the price, if you don't me asking?
    I bought the MXS-5. It was on special some time last year at Outdoor warehouse.

Price is not bad at takealot at the moment.
    2009 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 Raider D/C AT

27. The Following User Says Thank You to jurgen10 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast