Show us your gravel bike (or gravel bike build)

Default Show us your gravel bike (or gravel bike build)

Anyone building a gravel bike? I have embarked on a DIY Budget Gravel Bike build, for which I now only have the frame (A Bianchi 29r)

Would love to see what the members here are doing.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Default Re: Show us your gravel bike (or gravel bike build)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Anyone building a gravel bike? I have embarked on a DIY Budget Gravel Bike build, for which I now only have the frame (A Bianchi 29r)

Would love to see what the members here are doing.
    I had the carbon Spez Epic Expert a few years ago, but I have to admit I Love the Niner MCR 9 Steel Frame (29r) more - Going "old school" is cool
    SID 100 Air fork
    3x9 drivetrain - Goes like the clappers because I do not have the 1x(whatever) configuration. This means I have much better top-end speed on open road or downhills due to improved cadence.

I just need to remember the kidney-belt and mouth guard next time I take her out
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4 - Die kar agter die donkie
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques_Nel View Post
    I had the carbon Spez Epic Expert a few years ago, but I have to admit I Love the Niner MCR 9 Steel Frame (29r) more - Going "old school" is cool
    SID 100 Air fork
    3x9 drivetrain - Goes like the clappers because I do not have the 1x(whatever) configuration. This means I have much better top-end speed on open road or downhills due to improved cadence.

I just need to remember the kidney-belt and mouth guard next time I take her out
    But those aren't gravel bikes...
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Some people cannot read...
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

all depends on your interpretation of the term "gravel bikes" when comparing it to other types of bikes e.g. XC, Trail, Enduro and DH
    If I take my trail bike (150mm Trance) then I will not go and go 50-100km on it on dirt roads, That would be my weekend play bike.

Are you going to put flat bars or drop bars on the Bianchi 29R frame (which i assume is a MTB specific frame)

all depends on your interpretation of the term "gravel bikes" when comparing it to other types of bikes e.g. XC, Trail, Enduro and DH
    If I take my trail bike (150mm Trance) then I will not go and go 50-100km on it on dirt roads, That would be my weekend play bike.

Are you going to put flat bars or drop bars on the Bianchi 29R frame (which i assume is a MTB specific frame)
    Well I have a Trance as well, which I have done 100+ on dirt roads and tar roads with knobblies.. but looking for something lighter and faster and (and generally a little more comfortable).

The idea is for drop bars, but it does make a build more complex (and expensive), mixing brifters with MTB drive trains.

Yeah the Bianchi is a 29er HT frame, but I want to add a shorter rigid fork to drop the nose a bit too.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Well I have a Trance as well, which I have done 100+ on dirt roads and tar roads with knobblies.. but looking for something lighter and faster and (and generally a little more comfortable).

The idea is for drop bars, but it does make a build more complex (and expensive), mixing brifters with MTB drive trains.

Yeah the Bianchi is a 29er HT frame, but I want to add a shorter rigid fork to drop the nose a bit too.
    but looking for something lighter and faster and (and generally a little more comfortable
    That is exactly why I have the Niner and I lock the front fork to get the same experience

Well, you can get some carbon rigid MTB specific forks, but they can be expensive. This one is a good deal
    https://www.bikehub.co.za/classified...mm-qr-ud-matt/

My only concern with a drop bar on a 29r MTB bike is that the steering will be seriously twitchy, hence I prefer wider bars which gives a lot more direct steering and control, but it all depends on what you want and if you are going to be happy with it.

Also, forks will have a specific height due to them having to accommodate the standard 29" diameter wheels and tires. The only realistic way "to drop the nose" is to slam the stem downwards or put the stem directly onto the headset without a spacer. it will affect the geometry of the bike and potentially put pressure on your hands a lot more.

Will you be using 29r wheels or will you be using cyclocross(roadbike oriented) wheels?

Oh, and please share pictures!!

Also, forks will have a specific height due to them having to accommodate the standard 29" diameter wheels and tires. The only realistic way "to drop the nose" is to slam the stem downwards or put the stem directly onto the headset without a spacer. it will affect the geometry of the bike and potentially put pressure on your hands a lot more.
    Changing stems and stuff does not alter geometry. When I mean get the nose down, I mean use shorter forks. Gravel bikes have steeper geometry than mountain bikes. A 26" rigid fork easily fits a 29er wheel. Remember rigid forks attempt to keep the geometry the same, so assuming a suspension fork of 100mm travel, the appropriate rigid fork fork will have have the same crown to axle length as a 100mm fork, minus the sag. But if you use a 26" or 27.5" fork, it drops the nose, akin to gravel bike geometry.

Will you be using 29r wheels or will you be using cyclocross(roadbike oriented) wheels?
    29r. Same size as road wheels but easier to get hold of with disk brakes

I got the frame yesterday, and picking up the wheels tomorrow
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

I have looked at a gravel bike especially for race to the sun. It is faster than a mtb. but the moment you hit corrugations you are in trouble. Them for bad tarred roads they are quite nice. Norco makes a nice bike @ about 60k!

Cant decide between racing and gravel bike
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination of coronaviruses
    [email protected]loffroad.co.za
    [email protected]
    +27824453301