Solar system efficiency

Default Solar system efficiency

How many guys looked at system efficiency before buying?

I have to admit that I was never really looking at that, but as it turned out my system is rather efficient. Blind luck!!

Yesterday while returning a battery (infancy mortality) I saw on display an opened inverter. Inside half of it was filled with a huge transformer.

When enquiring, the techy told me it's for the battery charger function, and he immediately added that it's notoriously inefficient as the transformer draws current full time!

Sounds like the loss is in the order of 10%, just on that transformer alone.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sakkie For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Solar system efficiency

Techie is perhaps thumb sucking like many other information given out as fact. The loss in an idling trfr to magnetize the core could be in the region of 0.4 to 2% which is 5-10 times less than stated. Under load we have to add the copper losses which could be 10x the core losses. Refer to actual test.
    Name:  ___MAR0045.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  47.5 KB
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2019/03/27 at 10:12 PM. Reason: added actual test readings

If you have storage and are using lead-acid batteries these are not at all efficient.
    i.e. the charge that goes into the batteries is way more than what you get out when discharging.
    I don't have the stats but maybe someone else has..

Don't know if this was included in the question but if you have storage and are using lead-acid batteries these are not at all efficient.
    i.e. the charge that goes into the batteries is way more than what you get out when discharging.
    I don't have the stats but maybe someone else has..