Lexus 1UZ 4.0 V8 or Toyota 1JZ 2.5 Turbo

Default Lexus 1UZ 4.0 V8 or Toyota 1JZ 2.5 Turbo

Good Day Everyone

I'm looking at doing an engine swap on my 2011 GWM 2.2 4x4 LUX, anniversary version. At the moment I'm contemplating between the Lexus 1UZ 4.0 V8 and the Toyota 1JZ 2.5 Turbo.

The 2.2 is too small to lug all the weight around, It's underpowered and also quite thirsty because of this. What do you guys think about these 2 engines, pros and cons, and also which 1 should I use?

Eagerly awaiting feedback.

Default Re: Lexus 1UZ 4.0 V8 or Toyota 1JZ 2.5 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle90 View Post
    Good Day Everyone

I'm looking at doing an engine swap on my 2011 GWM 2.2 4x4 LUX, anniversary version. At the moment I'm contemplating between the Lexus 1UZ 4.0 V8 and the Toyota 1JZ 2.5 Turbo.

The 2.2 is too small to lug all the weight around, It's underpowered and also quite thirsty because of this. What do you guys think about these 2 engines, pros and cons, and also which 1 should I use?

Eagerly awaiting feedback.
    As a former owner of Lexus LS400, I would definitely take the 1UZ-FE...This engine is absolutely bulletproof. It is one of those that is resistant to timing belt failures, as it does not bend valves should something like that happen. Also, it is very powerful and quiet... + there is no turbo that can fail

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    As a former owner of Lexus LS400, I would definitely take the 1UZ-FE...This engine is absolutely bulletproof. It is one of those that is resistant to timing belt failures, as it does not bend valves should something like that happen. Also, it is very powerful and quiet... + there is no turbo that can fail
    I thought so too .. Water pump seized and stripped some of the cambelt teeth.

But yes, that engine really is (almost) bullet-proof and a pleasure to enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Johan Mitchell, .... r.i.v. Swambo Marthie

My beste kennis is diť oor my eie onkunde

'96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150 ... sold
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

Will the drive train of the GWM handle the power of the two suggested engines?

1JZ is a long engine. One usually battle to fit it in an engine bay that were designed for a 4 cylinder engine.

I have had made several modifications to do a proper Lexus conversion into a SFA Hilux. The 1UZ is wider than a 350 Chevy V8.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Are you sure it's a good idea to do an engine conversion on a GWM? No offence, but why not sell the bakkie and get a 2nd hand V6 Hardbody or Hilux?
    Be aware that after an engine conversion that GWM will be nearly impossible to sell one day and it doesn't really strike me as a vehicle that would last long enough to consider it to be a long keeper anyway, nor does it seem to be an overingeneered platform able to handle much more power.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Are you sure it's a good idea to do an engine conversion on a GWM? No offence, but why not sell the bakkie and get a 2nd hand V6 Hardbody or Hilux?
    Be aware that after an engine conversion that GWM will be nearly impossible to sell one day and it doesn't really strike me as a vehicle that would last long enough to consider it to be a long keeper anyway, nor does it seem to be an overingeneered platform able to handle much more power.
    I've already said basically the same on his other thread.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

GWM's are like bic pens, use it till it's done and throw it away.
    I will not spend money on it.
    Rather buy a bakkie that has the power you need.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ocin For This Useful Post: