Goba - Border crossing

Default Goba - Border crossing

Hi All,
    First time user (questions) but long time reader and really appreciate all the information and discussions on the forum.Thank you.
    I have planned a camping trip through Swaziland (Hlane Royal National Park) through Goba border post into Mozambique, down to Ponto Malongane, and then onto Northern KZN (Kosi Bay,Ndumo,Pongola Game reserve)
    Please can somebody kindly assist with the following queries :
    1.Border crossings – do I need police clearance certificates as recommended by Outdoor Warehouse/Traffic department at Langlaagte/Websites ?
    AA says only needed from Zim to Zambia
    2. Is the Goba border post open ? AA maps say closed, tracks4africa routes you through Jozini, nobody at Mozambican embassy respond to e-mail or telephone calls
    3. Unable to buy Mozambican currency (Meticals) from banks, suggested not to use touts, will the posts accept Rands and or Dollars ?
    4. No meat products allowed out of SA !!!
    5. Initially tried to book Milibangane Campsite in Maputo Elephant Park – not successful – can one still visit the reserve ?
    6. State of roads from Goba to Malongane ? I have an offroad 4x4 vehicle and trailer and ‘some’ offroad experience (travelled SA/Bots/Zim/Zambia/Malawi/Namibia)

I was born BC (Before computers) and don’t quite understand “searches” and “threads” and the searched thread that I tried for the above is generally circa 2012 to 2015

Thank you
    Kevin

Default Re: Goba - Border crossing

Quote Originally Posted by K&JPic View Post
    Hi All,
    First time user (questions) but long time reader and really appreciate all the information and discussions on the forum.Thank you.
    I have planned a camping trip through Swaziland (Hlane Royal National Park) through Goba border post into Mozambique, down to Ponto Malongane, and then onto Northern KZN (Kosi Bay,Ndumo,Pongola Game reserve)
    Please can somebody kindly assist with the following queries :
    1.Border crossings – do I need police clearance certificates as recommended by Outdoor Warehouse/Traffic department at Langlaagte/Websites ?
    AA says only needed from Zim to Zambia

You need:
    *. Vehicle registration document if you own the vehicle. If not, a letter from the finance company giving permission to travel with the vehicle outside of our borders as well as a copy of the registration document.

*. For Mozambique third party insurance. This you can either buy at the border or at any Outdoor Warehouse. If you buy at outdoor warehouse have your vehicle details as well as your passport handy. There are no additional costs to entering Mozambique.

*. For Eswatini (Swaziland) you will be required to pay a R50.00 road tax.

2. Is the Goba border post open ? AA maps say closed, tracks4africa routes you through Jozini, nobody at Mozambican embassy respond to e-mail or telephone calls

*. Yes, Goba border is open.

3. Unable to buy Mozambican currency (Meticals) from banks, suggested not to use touts, will the posts accept Rands and or Dollars ?

*. Rands are accepted in Moz at about 4 Meticals to the rand. Most fuel stations and larger shops accept credit/ debit cards.

4. No meat products allowed out of SA !!!

*. Our group was not asked about meat 4 weeks ago.

5. Initially tried to book Milibangane Campsite in Maputo Elephant Park – not successful – can one still visit the reserve ?

*. Yes the reserve is open. You need cash to pay the entrance fee, I paid 1500 Meticais for one person and a vehicle. They do accept Rands.

6. State of roads from Goba to Malongane ? I have an offroad 4x4 vehicle and trailer and ‘some’ offroad experience (travelled SA/Bots/Zim/Zambia/Malawi/Namibia)

*. The road is tarred with a few bad sections up to Boane. From Goba, you go to Boane then past Bella Vista. There is a toll gate just after Bella Vista and a permanent check point after the Puma fuel station. Once you have passed the Total fuel station on your left the Elephant Elephant Park entrance will also be on your left.

I was born BC (Before computers) and don’t quite understand “searches” and “threads” and the searched thread that I tried for the above is generally circa 2012 to 2015

Thank you
    Kevin
    The Kosibay border post is a mess. Not only is corruption on the S.A side rife but there is no order, you have to be very firm about your place in the queue. It also doesn't matter which line you fall into, they both end at the same place.

Jozini is a dump, expect heavy delays.
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Friends of mine returned from Moz via Goba this past weekend. Roads on Moz side are dirt, and were a little tricksy in the rain they had. But they were travelling in 4x2's. You will be fine with a 4x4.

No police clearance was required when they crossed.

You can buy 3rd party insurance at Outdoorwarehouse or similar prior to your trip. This would mean you would not need to carry meticals.

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Friends of mine returned from Moz via Goba this past weekend. Roads on Moz side are dirt, and were a little tricksy in the rain they had. But they were travelling in 4x2's. You will be fine with a 4x4.

No police clearance was required when they crossed.

You can buy 3rd party insurance at Outdoorwarehouse or similar prior to your trip. This would mean you would not need to carry meticals.
    Not true, you can drive on tar all the way to Ponta Malongane from Goba. The road isn't very good in some places up to Boane but after Boane the road is brand new, smooth tar.
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

If I was going from Hlane I would use Naamacha border instead of Goba. Good road, easy border. Then via Boane and Bella Visa to Ponta. As said, tar road all the way to Ponta. Only the last few Km to Malongane is sand but nothing too difficult.

No need for police clearance. Only vehicle registration and permission letter from the the bank if still financed. Buy third party before leaving from Outdoor Warehouse.

Local currency can be withdrawn from any ATM using your credit card. Just inform your bank that you will be using the card outside South Africa before you go. There is an ATM in Namaacha village, about 2Km after crossing the border.

Going out at Kosi Bay was not a problem. They only open at 8. On both Moz and SA sides there is only one window for both exiting or entering the country so just join the queue and when you get to the window you tell them if you're coming or going to get the correct stamp. Park on the Moz side, get both Moz/SA stamps, hand back your Moz TIP (you will get this when entering Moz) to the customs officials then collect your car and drive out.

Always double-check at each border to make sure that all passports have been properly stamped before leaving the window.