Have trailer manufacturers lost the plot?

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default Have trailer manufacturers lost the plot?

Please don’t get me wrong; with the exception of caravans and motorhomes etc, few trailer manufacturers seems to have lost the plot completely by producing expensive products; Most of the time much more pricier than a new/used car.

Without mentioning the names of the manifacturers, I understand they all have fancy features that makes camping experience comfortable, or should I say rather too comfortable. This also makes them too heavy to tow. Is it really necessary to build these in such exorbitant fashion?

In my opinion they also have to concentrate on “back to basic” trailers aka Buzzard trailer. More like.. less weight military style expedition trailer with basic amenities that you can literally take anywhere you want; That doesn’t hit your pockets during the initial purchase and on fuel mileage when towing. Is there such a thing in our country?

Default Re: Have trailer manufacturers lost the plot?

So have you ordered your Buzzard Bush Pig yet? Just received mine more than a week ago, super stoked. Empty weight is 370kg. I opted for one or two basic extras and still came in at half the price of the next competitor.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GKE For This Useful Post:

When one has an ORT, competing with Joneses is compulsory
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Quote Originally Posted by GKE View Post
    So have you ordered your Buzzard Bush Pig yet? Just received mine more than a week ago, super stoked. Empty weight is 370kg. I opted for one or two basic extras and still came in at half the price of the next competitor.
    Hi GKE, not yet. Still researching, but buzzard industries came to my mind when I started looking for back to basic expedition trailers.
    Please post some pics..

My desire for a new camping trailer is very deep! However have to wait, for at least 5 years.
    Thus I have "worked through" the very high price to make it less painful:
    1. The trailers are not mass produced, but made individually to owners spec (creates job opportunities)
    2. If you buy the additions/equipment separately and build your own you will pay as much or more.
    3. There is a lot of product specific knowledge and safety aspects "locked up" in such a camping trailer
    4. Years of customer suggestions as to how improve such a trailer to open without struggle and minimize set up time is also part of the product.
    5. A very expansive warranty/guarantee is part of the price.

Thus I happily count beans for the next few years
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johan Engelbrecht For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ra_01 View Post
    Please don’t get me wrong; with the exception of caravans and motorhomes etc, few trailer manufacturers seems to have lost the plot completely by producing expensive products; Most of the time much more pricier than a new/used car.

Without mentioning the names of the manifacturers, I understand they all have fancy features that makes camping experience comfortable, or should I say rather too comfortable. This also makes them too heavy to tow. Is it really necessary to build these in such exorbitant fashion?

In my opinion they also have to concentrate on “back to basic” trailers aka Buzzard trailer. More like.. less weight military style expedition trailer with basic amenities that you can literally take anywhere you want; That doesn’t hit your pockets during the initial purchase and on fuel mileage when towing. Is there such a thing in our country?
    Firstly, don't confuse affordability with 'expensive', I often do. Me, myself and I can not afford a R100k camping rig, however, if I ignore that fact then some of the offerings at R100k actually gives you acceptable value for money.
    Then some other points.
    What is expensive for one person is not so for another.
    A lot of the camping trailer manufacturers only do that - camping trailers, they can then focus on getting to know that market very well and become good in it, however, it implies they have to recover their cost and make profit only on camping trailers, thus their product becomes expensive - why not introduce some other products as well?. It is also a low volume market so they have to recover cost from only a few sales a year. That said, I always wonder why some of these trailer manufacturers do not try and increase their sales by making their products cheaper and thus selling more of them?
    Then also, it is expensive to manufacture these things, labour, material, design tools, regulatory expense, research, warrenties, after sales service - all cost money and these manufacturers won't do it for free.
    But then you get to the point of that something is just to expensive for its purpose - R450k for a camping rig is just crazy, in most people's mind I would think.
    It also boils down to the people buying these things, a lot of people want all the luxery otherwise they would not have started camping in the first place, and that drives the circle of things getting more complicated and expensive.

But yes, I do think that if you search around you will find a trailer that fits your affordability level.
    Neil

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neoT For This Useful Post:

go buy the Makro Campmaster trailer then?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Think about it as buying a house, with appliances in some cases.

not so expensive now isit?
    FORD Ranger
    Conqueror Courage

100K is not too expensive for my pockets either. I understand it would take at least this much to build a strong reliable trailer
    But I was referring to products (not caravans) that costs over 250k to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    go buy the Makro Campmaster trailer then?
    As I have mentioned in the post, go anywhere trailer.
    But thanks for the suggestion
    Last edited by ra_01; 2019/03/26 at 07:44 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ra_01 For This Useful Post:

That is exactly why suppliers like Metalian sell you the bare trailer at a fair rate, so that you can add extras as you have cash or DIY.

I do however get your point regarding all the apparent inputs into determining the cost - you pay for the physical material and the time and machinery needed to manufacture, plus perhaps a marginal profit. The time and effort to design and whatever else is none of my business and is considered "school fees" to market a product that will be bought. They get their "school fees" back by the numbers that sell. Without investing that input they wouldn't have sold anything.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

As I have mentioned in the post, go anywhere trailer.
    But thanks for the suggestion
    don't underestimate the Campmaster off road trailer, they aren't as bad as you think as long as you stay within its weight limits
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blind View Post
    Think about it as buying a house, with appliances in some cases.

not so expensive now isit?
    Agreed, but you get something back when you sell your property.
    If people can afford an expensive trailer why not. But what I am just trying to sensitise is that manufactures should also consider producing low price versions and not just sell products with premium price.

I believe Buzzard industries is good example, robust, no nonsense, go anywhere with enough space and less weight for an "expedition" and not just for holiday camping with family.

I only have this one pic so far, will take more. So it is basically a box trailer at this stage. A blank canvas. I have opted for a built in 50L water tank which sits on the belly and is removable. The two narrower side doors are wide enough for a standard crate/ammo box to fit through easily. The body width is perfect to pack crates next to each other from either side of the trailer. So i can easily stack 6 crates just from the front two doors, 3 per side. Obviously slides and packing systems could impact this.

2.5t axle, body frame fully galvanised. Body is 1.5m long. I opted for unbraked axle as i don't intend on towing a heavy beast.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GKE For This Useful Post:

Most of the "bigger" manufacturers want to build just a production line and I guess some of the products out there are pretty pricey. But I reckon if you shop around and have a look, one can find something reasonable within a decent budget. We are Venter agents, and there are good options through a range of different prices. Have a look at our site for their 4x4 products here: https://ventertrailersjhb.co.za/trailers/offroad-4x4/

You can get away with something decent for R40k or something a bit more full up at under 100k.

Alternatively we also manufacture our own range of commercial grade builds. Depending on what one is looking for. Here are some sample pics we built for @stranger

We can build similar to the exact spec a client desires and hopefully match the pocket too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bundutec Tent Trailer - www.xfactorsport.co.za6.JPG 
Views:	587 
Size:	306.9 KB 
ID:	523627   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bundutec Tent Trailer - www.xfactorsport.co.za2.JPG 
Views:	492 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	523628  

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ozosborne For This Useful Post:

Very happy with my Le-Busha.
    Go anywhere and easy to tow at 120kmh.
    Prefer it for short trips.

These also look like allot of trailer for the price .... might be wrong

https://www.facebook.com/TMCS-447158...dMDPcQuox6nMNW

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Agreed, but you get something back when you sell your property.
    Sure, but I bought my Conqueror Comfort in 2011 brand new for R125k. I sold it last year for R115k within 4 weeks. If I really tried and gave more time, I could have sold it for the same price or maybe more as I bought it
    Jacques

2013 Amarok BiTDi DC 4Motion
    2018 Bushlapa Ratel 4 Military Edition - BL1402

Sold - 2011 Conqueror Comfort
    Sold - 2004 Isuzu KB300 DC (was only 4x2 but a happy 240000km and 9 years)

Very happy with my Le-Busha.
    Go anywhere and easy to tow at 120kmh.
    Prefer it for short trips.

Quote Originally Posted by GKE View Post
    Never seen these, just had a look. It is exactly what I need ... And a great price with a life time guarantee. I never was too interested in the expensive trailers, as we sleep in a normal trailer mounted tent, the fridge lives where we place it, but I needed more clearance and a strong axle

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

GKE

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast