Have trailer manufacturers lost the plot? - Page 14

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Default Re: Have trailer manufacturers lost the plot?

any update on that proto Heinz?

Quote Originally Posted by D-tox View Post
    any update on that proto Heinz?
    The box is done and should go to powder coating tomorrow. Allow me to fit the axle, coupler, etc and then post a pic please.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heinz Modricky For This Useful Post:

Wow, great stuff!
    I'ts amazing to see how flexible and adaptable Metallian as a company is! Great Job!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D-tox For This Useful Post:

Heinz, the trailer you are busy with, is that the smaller one of the two you mentioned and posted drawings of recently?
    Last edited by TonyP; 2019/05/16 at 12:56 PM.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    Heinz, the trailer you are busy with, is that the smaller one of the two you mentioned and posted drawings of recently?
    Yes, and it will go a bit cheaper as it is a prototype .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heinz Modricky For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post

you don't perhaps have a prototype Mini standing around in the shop?

Quote Originally Posted by D-tox View Post
    you don't perhaps have a prototype Mini standing around in the shop?
    No, but you may recall the 10 that sold in 3 minutes for R29k each.

Hi Heinz. I hope that we will also get a look in here in Gauteng. I have received some info from Sky in this regard. My Renault Duster 4x2 is light and simple, and I can say the same about this design of yours. Thank you for taking this segment of the market into consideration. Other manufacturers I won't name think they have "conquered" the industry, but you are doing impressive things. Keep at it, you deserve massive success.

Once the above becomes a reality, you will be seeing my order soon after.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stof-lappie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    go buy the Makro Campmaster trailer then?
    I did, Paid for the trailer R25K, went to Cristy sport, got me a tent made that I wanted and fitted, R23K, Rig the trailer out the way I wanted it R20K, with fridge, and I have been 4 times to the Kalahari en 3 times to Namibia, not a days problem, and happy, it did not cost me a harm and a leg, and it has everything in I need for a 2 week holiday. I have the trailer now 10 years. Only issue I have is, it is time for a respray, as it is starting to show rust from were the stone chips has hit it.

Pepe Kleinhans
    Pepe Kleinhans
    VW Caravelle T5 4-Motion
    KTM 520 EXC and BMW R1250 GSA

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pepekleinhans For This Useful Post:

Here's my Bushpig - heavily redesigned

Its in the classified section for sale
    Merit before Race - anything else IS Racism.
    Stay Calm, engage low-ratio, keep buggering on - a Landy Man
    Longevity isn't worth dying for,

Post Re: Have trailer manufacturers lost the plot?

Quote Originally Posted by pepekleinhans View Post
    I did, Paid for the trailer R25K, went to Cristy sport, got me a tent made that I wanted and fitted, R23K, Rig the trailer out the way I wanted it R20K, with fridge, and I have been 4 times to the Kalahari en 3 times to Namibia, not a days problem, and happy, it did not cost me a harm and a leg, and it has everything in I need for a 2 week holiday. I have the trailer now 10 years. Only issue I have is, it is time for a respray, as it is starting to show rust from were the stone chips has hit it.

Pepe Kleinhans
    Hmm...would be interesting to see the price calculation of your setup today ( 10 yrs later)

Then again, to comment on lots of previous posts....camping trailers are NOT 4x4 off-road caravans, 2 x completely different products. One cannot compare a camping trailer with to an off-road 4x4 caravan with full swing our tents, solar systems, bathrooms etc. and many more luxuries.
    Also, a family of 4-6 can never go over-landing in campmaster trailer and do it in comfort for 3 weeks...never. :-)
    2009 D3 V8 SE - Family car, holiday and weekends
    2009 Mahindra Scorpio 2.6 GLX - Mom's Taxi
    2001 Ford Ranger 2.5 D/C - My Car

2007 D3 TDV6 S - Family car, holiday and weekends ( RELUCTANTLY SOLD )

This thread was never about 4x4 or offroad caravans. It is all about offroad camping trailers and the fact that these days most of the well known camping trailers can only be purchased fully kitted.
    Fortunately Heinz is coming to the party.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/class...h-walls/cat/16

This is the way to go.

solid well built
    Merit before Race - anything else IS Racism.
    Stay Calm, engage low-ratio, keep buggering on - a Landy Man
    Longevity isn't worth dying for,

the key focus of this thread can be seen on page 1: ---- (In my opinion they also have to concentrate on “back to basic” trailers aka Buzzard trailer. More like.. less weight military style expedition trailer with basic amenities that you can literally take anywhere you want; That doesn’t hit your pockets during the initial purchase and on fuel mileage when towing. Is there such a thing in our country?) There are a number of Forum members who do not want Rolls Royce trailers but a simple tag along trailer in order that the tow vehicle is not overloaded. The people who enthusiastically started the camping frenzy back in the 70's have now got older and wiser and just want a simple strong bush capable trailer that, if necessary, can be added to by owner as required. We simply want the Manufacturers to review this, take a market survey and check potential of developing something like this. I wonder what a Conqueror Compact would cost totally stripped down to doors and body etc. The following, in my opinion, are possible strip downers - Echo 3, Bushpig, Metalian new, Conqueror compact. I also hope I have interpreted the "Thread Driver".
    MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:

Sorry for the Off Topic Q :

Heinz, any idea where one could buy decent 12V Linear Actuators to lift and close a pop-top roof ?
    UZJ 42 LX: Olive (Sold)
    HDJ 75 RV Troopy

Quote Originally Posted by TheoM View Post

Heinz, any idea where one could buy decent 12V Linear Actuators to lift and close a pop-top roof ?
    Be aware that Electric Linear actuators come in two major types. Acme Screw and Ball Screw.

Acme screws cannot easily be backdriven. In other words it will stay at the length that you commanded it to. Handy for lifting things because you don't usually need a brake mechanism.

Some screws, like most Ball Screws can be backdriven. So if you lift the pop-top, the moment you remove the voltage it will just simply close again under its own weight, albeit quite slowly.

https://www.progressiveautomations.c...rew-ball-screw
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheoM View Post

I see Fluffy has beaten me to it, but I would not have been able to help anyway.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Heinz Modricky For This Useful Post:

Here are the final drawings. We'll go to making a prototype, and hopefully only have a few corrections and then run 10 as we usually do.

As for the name, we thought of something along the lines of "B2B" (Back to Basics), "101" as in Camping 101, but Swambo said Genie - hopefully it answers your three wishes for a trailer: "Cheap, Light and Practical !"

Your input is welcomed.
    Before I bought my normal caravan 2 years ago this was exactly the kind of trailer I was looking for. I camped with a ground tent and was quite happy with it. But the thing that got to me was setting up the kitchen every time, packing and unpacking crates. I wanted a basic trailer where I could mount my fridge (not even a deal breaker), but most importantly had a opening for a kitchen where I can build the internals of the kitchen to my own requirements. E.g. I don't use a gas stove, but want a small microwave fitted. Then some space for a tent, gazebo, chairs and other odds and sorts. And something I didn't need a EB license for. 4x4 didn't matter, not does things like water tanks, duel batteries, jerry cans, etc. Closest was the Jurgens XT75 but doesn't have a kitchen door. Campmaster had the horrible side box kitchen that was way too small. Rest was overkill and too expensive for my use.
    '99 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0 @ 143000km
    "Frankenstein" 5" lift | Nomad Bumpers | Safari Snorkel | Gorman rocksliders | Khumo 31x10.5x15 | Jerry can holders | 29Mhz Radio | Custom roof rack | Dual Battery | ARB onboard compressor

28. The Following User Says Thank You to sclater For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    the key focus of this thread can be seen on page 1: ---- (In my opinion they also have to concentrate on “back to basic” trailers aka Buzzard trailer. More like.. less weight military style expedition trailer with basic amenities that you can literally take anywhere you want; That doesn’t hit your pockets during the initial purchase and on fuel mileage when towing. Is there such a thing in our country?) There are a number of Forum members who do not want Rolls Royce trailers but a simple tag along trailer in order that the tow vehicle is not overloaded. The people who enthusiastically started the camping frenzy back in the 70's have now got older and wiser and just want a simple strong bush capable trailer that, if necessary, can be added to by owner as required. We simply want the Manufacturers to review this, take a market survey and check potential of developing something like this. I wonder what a Conqueror Compact would cost totally stripped down to doors and body etc. The following, in my opinion, are possible strip downers - Echo 3, Bushpig, Metalian new, Conqueror compact. I also hope I have interpreted the "Thread Driver".
    You can add the basic Echo 4 to the list.
    We had one and build it up over 3-4 years.
    Ended with solar panel, 2 x batteries, power panel, drawers, kitchen, extra awnings, the whole works.
    Total cost when we sold it was between R80-90k and sold it for R80k (think basic cost was R40k when we went camping first time and included rims and tires same as the Ranger)
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danie S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Danie S View Post
    You can add the basic Echo 4 to the list.
    We had one and build it up over 3-4 years.
    Ended with solar panel, 2 x batteries, power panel, drawers, kitchen, extra awnings, the whole works.
    Total cost when we sold it was between R80-90k and sold it for R80k (think basic cost was R40k when we went camping first time and included rims and tires same as the Ranger)
    Fantastic trailer! Bought my 2011 Echo 4 2nd hand in 2016 for R70K. Previous owner had replaced the original (crappy) RTT with Echo's latest (brilliant!) tent. Came with the NL 80L Fridge/Freezer in the nose-cone, standard electric box (includes a solar charger), 1 x 80W solar panel and an after-market CTEK to charge from the vehicle, 60L water tank and FloJet pump which provides water at the kitchen with the turn of a tap. Also included was all the original cutlery / crockery and 8 x drawers.

I replaced the single battery with 2 x 105AH batteries and the single panel with 2 x 100W panels and Voila!

Total cost currently around R80K.

We have ticked Kgalagadi, Mabua, Richtersveld (both sides), Mozambique (mostly interior plus a few sea-side trips), KNP and a lot of weekend getaways - we love going off the grid. With my 3.5 Pajero in the lead I have come through a few deep sand roads without any hassles. The Echo is an absolute breeze to tow.

Eventually I will probably have to trade it in for something like the Explorer (no ladders to climb) but it will be a sad day indeed!
    Last edited by alouwtjie; 2019/05/29 at 07:31 AM.
    2000 Pajero 3500 V6 - Old Faithfull!

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alouwtjie For This Useful Post:

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast