Have trailer manufacturers lost the plot? - Page 9

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Default Re: Have trailer manufacturers lost the plot?

Quote Originally Posted by LouisXander View Post
    I have also looked at these trailers, the excessive weight also concerned me. But I understand they must be built more ruggedly, but still a put off for me. SWAMBO doesn't like to sleep in the air, so smaller trailer and tents works for me luckily.
    Excessive is putting it mildly
    More tow weight = More fuel consumption and engine blow up's. As I mentioned in my thread, some of the trailers are overdone.

Quote Originally Posted by ra_01 View Post
    Excessive is putting it mildly
    More tow weight = More fuel consumption and engine blow up's. As I mentioned in my thread, some of the trailers are overdone.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by vdb24 View Post
    We are totally in love with our Bush-trotter piglet trailer. There are several storage bins to keep everything separated and organized. The gvm is only 330kg and the 1.6 ton brake axle allows you to take on those off-road campsites.Here is their website https://bush-trotter.co.za/piglet/
    My case in point. This looks like a great trailer if you want this kind of thing. Looking at the website pics of the trailer is exactly what I'm talking about. It is so full of stuff (kitchens, ammo boxes, Fridge slides, water tanks, TTT's etc) that there is absolutely nowhere to load what is necessary for an overlanding trip for some of us.
    Why not market the trailer as an empty box with all the quality that goes into the particular trailer build and offer all the "stuff" as accessories that can be added if wanted.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

Hi all been away this weekend (camping obviously )

The purpose of this thread is to discuss why big manufactures won't make cost effective go anywhere expedition (meaning off road) trailers as Buzzard.

Firstly 90K for a base trailer (with nothing in it) is excessive; regarding price difference, so they must be making money on the accessories, but 220K is ridiculous for it's purpose. This raises more questions

This proves my point too; if an off road caravan can be built under 100K based on the same materials as top end, I am sure one can do the same with trailers. It's not just about affordability, but getting taxed to death as well.

Just wait a little bit. In a few years maybe you will get an off-road trailer for less than R10 000 and 20 years of free camping included, and/or an off- road caravan - R 20 000 + a nice 4x4 for towing+ free petrol. That is if South Africa is transformed into a Marxists paradise. The best thing in this paradise for you is that no manufacturer and supplier will make a profit. Just make sure you vote correct in the upcoming election. This will really be cheap and solve all the new raised questions you have. - a bit like Zimbabwe where salaries are in the Trillions.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

I guess for a cheap well equipped trailer you should make a deal with people specializing in midnight pilfering. You will find these pilferers are more abundant than trailer manufacturers and the waiting list is only a few nights away. I am not an expert in this thing but I am sure you will get a pre-selected trailer worth R220 000 for a bargain.

NB. By the way, in the Marxists utopia, you have to wait more than 200 years for delivery, and you will have an option to kill these capitalist profit mongers immediately.

I would love to see you building a "R220 000" trailer and selling (same rules as for the manufacturers) for less than 100 K, obviously with all included as per the manufacturers list. I am ready to place my order - please advise the date of delivery and spec sheet.

Sorry - I forgot. Please also list all the accessories and option you include free of charge.
    Last edited by Zirk; 2019/04/01 at 11:30 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zirk For This Useful Post:

Zirk, clearly you have not understood the purpose of this thread or some people posting valuable information so far.
    Go enjoy that 220K trailer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ra_01 For This Useful Post:

Zirk, clearly you have not understood the purpose of this thread or some people posting valuable information so far.
    Go enjoy that 220K trailer.
    NO, I want to buy a R 100 000 caravan from you - but it must be the same as the "overpriced" + R 350 000 caravans the manufactures pushing with force down our throats. I am ready to place my order NOW. Please provide me with the speck sheets and free option and accessories.

I am even prepared to pay R100 000 for the same Trailer the "overpriced" manufacturers pushing with force down our throats for R 220 000.

OR

Are you saying that you can not better the prices the "overcharging" manufactures charge?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zirk For This Useful Post:

I think there are enough options in the market for everyone. You can get an empty box trailer at Makro, or Venter ( I had one from Venter and was very happy with it), as well as many other suppliers mentioned in this post. What do you expect to gain by trying to dictate to the guys who offer a more comprehensive solution to change their business? There is a market for everyone, and if you are not happy with any of their solutions, you still have the option to build your own. Surely there is no need to continue deliberating on this subject?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bush freak For This Useful Post:

There is no way I would sink my hard earned money into a "cheap" trailer from Makro or the like, I am happy to pay more for a good rugged trailer, but I don't want all the "stuff" that automatically comes with these well manufactured trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    Your post is levelled at me because I'm the only one winning prizes in Australia , so please allow me to state some facts about your perceived value.

Let me tell you what winning a prize in Australia is worth. This market has to be the most competitive with many brands from China, Taiwan, South Africa, the US and local Australian brands, built by Australians. In a way, winning in Australia is as good as taking first place in the world. Their conditions are harsher than ours in this that they are not as conservative campers, they pack heavier and they travel longer distances with bigger pimped up vehicles - you'll often hear - take a Cruiser or a Patrol or stay at home. And because many of their campers are artisans, expert welders, electricians, plumbers, etc.., don't think you will get away with what many local SA manufacturers do at home. Even the women I met will give many a local man a run for his money. (I was going to say stiff competition.)

The judging is done by 4 independent judges in ten different categories, fit for purpose, design innovation, value for money, finish, X-factor, quality of build, etc... Each judge's scores in each category are published, unlike the South African award which is a social media nomination by users/owners (so the more active you are on social media or the more units you have in the market - the more likely you will win (there is some merit in this method, but it is hardly conducive for newer brands that are working harder, innovation, etc.. because everyone only votes for what they know (or rather don't know.) In South Africa, Metalian is placed third. Go figure.
    I rather Enjoy the Aussies, when they launch, rate and test stuff. Watching the aussies test a vehicle and the trailers are enjoyable. These test seem proper by an unbiased lot. They actually say what is wrong with a design or function. The do not hide behind sponsorships etc. This is where I enjoy particular Ronny Dahl. He tests an item and before he starts, he does say about 10 times he is not sponsored and bought the items himself and gives his personal feel of it. Here is SA, with car of the year tests generally no real surprise who wins. Biggest sponsor wins, not the best value for money.
    Last edited by Dwayne P; 2019/04/01 at 02:05 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bush freak View Post
    I think there are enough options in the market for everyone. You can get an empty box trailer at Makro, or Venter ( I had one from Venter and was very happy with it), as well as many other suppliers mentioned in this post. What do you expect to gain by trying to dictate to the guys who offer a more comprehensive solution to change their business? There is a market for everyone, and if you are not happy with any of their solutions, you still have the option to build your own. Surely there is no need to continue deliberating on this subject?
    Other than comments adding no value to this thread or forum; That is exactly what this is about. To find out from members, what are the other options comparatively. I have closed on the fact that, some companies manufacture 250K trailer because their customer base is entirely different. But why wouldn't they build back to basic trailer, is still a question for which I may not get an answer.

I also agree with Tony regarding the ruggedness of a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    There is no way I would sink my hard earned money into a "cheap" trailer from Makro or the like, I am happy to pay more for a good rugged trailer, but I don't want all the "stuff" that automatically comes with these well manufactured trailers.
    That's why I did what I did. I sat down with OZ and discussed how we could make it work for what I wanted. He built me a bloody tough trailer but it was bare bones and I have done the rest with a little help from Bundutec (they made the tent) I know it is tough, it survived Kgalagadi rds with just a little road rash
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

100% Stranger. So I suppose the thing to do would be to select a trailer based on the quality of build and material, ignoring the price and all the extras. Then approach that particular manufacturer and try to work a deal whereby he sells me the same trailer but leaves all the stuff out of it.

Please don’t get me wrong; with the exception of caravans and motorhomes etc, few trailer manufacturers seems to have lost the plot completely by producing expensive products; Most of the time much more pricier than a new/used car.

Without mentioning the names of the manifacturers, I understand they all have fancy features that makes camping experience comfortable, or should I say rather too comfortable. This also makes them too heavy to tow. Is it really necessary to build these in such exorbitant fashion?

In my opinion they also have to concentrate on “back to basic” trailers aka Buzzard trailer. More like.. less weight military style expedition trailer with basic amenities that you can literally take anywhere you want; That doesn’t hit your pockets during the initial purchase and on fuel mileage when towing. Is there such a thing in our country?

Cool Re: Have trailer manufacturers lost the plot?

I agree,,,, what ever happened to "Roughing IT" ,,, seems people want all the luxuries of home rather than enjoying nature as it is . We prefer going to wild places and using Camping gear that blends in with the surrounds Parraffin lights ,no boom box ,cooking over the fire etc after a holiday like this you appreciate your bed and home far more.

Quote Originally Posted by Zirk View Post
    Just wait a little bit. In a few years maybe you will get an off-road trailer for less than R10 000 and 20 years of free camping included, and/or an off- road caravan - R 20 000 + a nice 4x4 for towing+ free petrol. That is if South Africa is transformed into a Marxists paradise. The best thing in this paradise for you is that no manufacturer and supplier will make a profit. Just make sure you vote correct in the upcoming election. This will really be cheap and solve all the new raised questions you have. - a bit like Zimbabwe where salaries are in the Trillions.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

I guess for a cheap well equipped trailer you should make a deal with people specializing in midnight pilfering. You will find these pilferers are more abundant than trailer manufacturers and the waiting list is only a few nights away. I am not an expert in this thing but I am sure you will get a pre-selected trailer worth R220 000 for a bargain.

NB. By the way, in the Marxists utopia, you have to wait more than 200 years for delivery, and you will have an option to kill these capitalist profit mongers immediately.

I would love to see you building a "R220 000" trailer and selling (same rules as for the manufacturers) for less than 100 K, obviously with all included as per the manufacturers list. I am ready to place my order - please advise the date of delivery and spec sheet.

Sorry - I forgot. Please also list all the accessories and option you include free of charge.
    Rambling? Not really making sense!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    100% Stranger. So I suppose the thing to do would be to select a trailer based on the quality of build and material, ignoring the price and all the extras. Then approach that particular manufacturer and try to work a deal whereby he sells me the same trailer but leaves all the stuff out of it.
    OR, have a chat with OZ Osbourne, tell him what you want and let him quote you. This dude builds all kinds of stuff and for the mines who are as fussy as all hell about "tough"

I wanted a full frame trailer and got it at a price that was comparable with off the shelf. Yes I wanted a great tent which the Bundu top is, but I already had that and trailer size was matched. I also did not want all the bits hanging off the trailer, I wanted a sleek clean look. I also wanted to do the finishings my way in my time at my budget. Custom build need not be over the top expensive.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Zirk View Post
    NO, I want to buy a R 100 000 caravan from you - but it must be the same as the "overpriced" + R 350 000 caravans the manufactures pushing with force down our throats. I am ready to place my order NOW. Please provide me with the speck sheets and free option and accessories.

I am even prepared to pay R100 000 for the same Trailer the "overpriced" manufacturers pushing with force down our throats for R 220 000.

OR

Are you saying that you can not better the prices the "overcharging" manufactures charge?
    Where and when did any manufacturer “force” a caravan down your throat? As far as I know you are free to buy whatever caravan or trailer you want, as long as you can afford it. If you can’t afford it then you have to work harder to make more money to afford it, and if you don’t want to do that then you have to downgrade you expectations. That is how the capitalist system works!

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    I agree,,,, what ever happened to "Roughing IT" ,,, seems people want all the luxuries of home rather than enjoying nature as it is . We prefer going to wild places and using Camping gear that blends in with the surrounds Parraffin lights ,no boom box ,cooking over the fire etc after a holiday like this you appreciate your bed and home far more.
    There is nothing wrong with all the comforts of home. Before we invented camping , people came to Africa and got a train load of porters and horses to take them into the bush and then set up a camp fit for a Bedouin prince. Your bed sheets were turned down every night and you had the obligatory gin and tonic before bed.

Your scenario requires that I carry both wood for the fire and liquid fuels, none of which I am happy to do. Charcoal and usb lights are my preference. I have only once slept on a blow up mattress, first and last time. I want a comfy bed, if it sticks out like a sore thumb, then so be it.

BMW R1200R

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Oh LOL

We prefer and do go to wild places, we cook over the fire, barely use any light except solar lanterns, shower under the stars, listen to night sounds.

I never think of my bed at home, or even my home for that matter, while camping. But I do miss my bed in the caravan when I get home.

Now what? Are we doing something wrong?
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Ja nee Woodsey. Swambo is not one for roughing it in the sense that I understand. Up until only 5 years ago she happily sent me on my way with a bunch of mates into the bush for our annual overlanding trips. And yes, being a bunch of guys, camping luxury was about the furthest thing from our minds.
    However, I finally convinced her to give camping a try, obviously the trade-off was to provide a bit of comfort. We have found our happy medium and she thoroughly enjoys it, but the happy medium doesn't include 5 star luxury. Her comment is that she likes it to be different from having all the home amenities but would never consider rough camping the way the guys used to do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in days gone by, wild camping was an exercise done mainly by boys and men, thankfully that has changed to a larger extent and we are now able to enjoy the wild places with Swambo.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast