Have trailer manufacturers lost the plot? - Page 7

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Default Re: Have trailer manufacturers lost the plot?

Sleep in your car
    Sleep in your 4x4
    10 day tent (thats the one you take 10 days to figure out how to twist it back into a disk again)
    Ground tent that you can stand up in
    Fancy ground tent with 6 rooms.
    RTT
    Trailer
    Sleeping trailer
    Caravan
    Motorhome
    MOG
    Chalet
    5* lodge

Each and every one of these options have a down side.

There IS NO perfect setup. There is a great set up for each and every one though. If you cant afford it - don't blame the supplier.

Expecting a supplier to put a cheap product on the market for your needs,is asking him to cater to your budget
    If anyone can build it cheaper, please do. Then when your neighbour wants one - build him one too for that price.
    And your brother in law, and his friend.
    And see where you end charging after 6 months.

If you can't afford a product - move along. I want a 4x4 motorhome but I have a BC. If a product is over priced, chances are it won't survive anyway.

Heinz, your Metalian product appears to me to be of excellent quality, and well done on your award. You almost got me interested
    Wishing you lots of great sales for 2019.

To the poster of this thread - thank you - threads like this do give people the chance to post from both sides of the fence. We are all a bit "ingat" in this country.

I will just keep quiet now and go sleep in my RTT. Like AntonN.
    Fiddler

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post
    There are days where I like to Chalet, days I like to ground camp, days I like to Roof top and then days I want some comfort without camping. Totally agree
    There is however never a day I want to tow a trailer. In my infinite ignorance, I fail to see the benefits.

For years we preferred to camp minimalistic in remote areas with a ground tent and later our RTT - definitely never felt the need for a trailer.

A few years ago we were joined by friends who, at that stage, had an Echo trailer. A RTT is wonderful when you are on the move every day, but with our friends we changed our camping style from camp-hopping to staying in one campsite for longer. Carrying additional fuel and water to remote areas also became a problem.

The need for a camping trailer was born, albeit reluctantly.

After much research and deliberation, the Metalian Mini was the only trailer that made the list: weight, quality-, price- as well as size-wise.
    What a fine and well-built trailer. Stainless steel with a mono-coque design. Tows like a dream, which is just as well, because I don’t need an extra burden on the thirsty Jeep.
    I still don’t like to reverse when wanting to take a photo, even though I have a reverse camera on the trailer.

It took us a while to rig the Mini to our taste. It now has everything: place for 5 petrol jerry cans for my Jeep, fridge (freezer built into home-made drawer system in the Jeep), Dometic gas stove, basin, 75L water tank as well as 40L osmosis drinking water, running water, and ample lighting inside and outside of the tent.
    Granted, the Mini is packed to capacity. I don’t transport air when we camp for a few weeks – every available space is utilized!

When we overnight in a camp, we only open the TTT section with awning over the kitchen. When staying in the same camp for extended periods of time, we open the full awning and erect the side walls. In complete wilderness (without ablutions) we even put up the add-on room without the floor section to create an ablution corner. A real home away from home. Wonderful to come “home” after a long day’s drive and just zip up your door. We like it so much that lately we have begun to put up everything, even when we are travelling alone.

This setup has drawn much attention – once we even had a couple parked at a distance to watch us dismantle the whole setup because they could not believe that this mini-village could fit into a small metal box on wheels. Last year in CKGR we even had rude people unzip the flysheet and rip-stop door to inspect the inner setup while we were not there. How do we know? Caught them on our trail-cam!
    Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2009

Know where you are going in life... you may already be there!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Danie Malan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Danie Malan View Post
    For years we preferred to camp minimalistic in remote areas with a ground tent and later our RTT - definitely never felt the need for a trailer.

My work responsibilities are such that I do not get a lot of time to camp. We travel abroad a lot for business and I am involved at the airfield.

My camp excursions are the spur of the moment kind and 2, maybe 3 days.

If we were not playing with the choppers this weekend I would have been in Pilanesberg. Just load the fridge, camera bag, change of clothes and something to braai. My camp stuff has its own spot in the study and it takes about 15 minutes to load. It takes longer to get my Jack Russell's sorted.

Leave after work and by late afternoon I am camping. Travelling solo is easy and I take the minimum. I will make 'n boerrie roll the first night, breakfast is rusks and a coffee. Brunch is egg and leftover wors in a roll. That night I have a few Glenfiddich's by bonfire, braai a pork chop and kalahari toast. Last day is rusks and coffee, pack, drive through the park till about 12:00 and head home.

Time flies like a rocket these days and a weekend is a very, very short-lived break.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AntonN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    Yes it is, and there is progress in this regard. I've never had a tent making division, and with such a low value product, the tent equals the trailer cost. I should have a canvas division going in 60 days.
    Exciting development!
    Pete

Living the dream baby, living the dream......

2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 3.8
    1999 Jeep Cherokee Country 4.0 - SOLD

I won't go anywhere near a "cheap" trailer as in cheaply built or the use of cheap materials.
    When I talk about a lower cost, I'm talking about a good trailer, just without all the extra stuff that drives the price up.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    I won't go anywhere near a "cheap" trailer as in cheaply built or the use of cheap materials.
    When I talk about a lower cost, I'm talking about a good trailer, just without all the extra stuff that drives the price up.
    I would call it a "simple trailer, well built. Literally a box with wheels and TTT.
    A tail gate that opens where one can slide some boxes in, not even a Cargo slide or drawers, just guides and some tie down points to secure the lot with bungee straps.
    Forget Electrickery (personally). I have camped in Berg en Dal next to a power point for 6 days and never used it.

One must be able to completely remove the lid and tent, then I can use it as a conventional trailer to take my garden rubbish away or collect a fridge when needed.

Now there is a trailer I will consider.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AntonN For This Useful Post:

I would call it a "simple trailer, well built. Literally a box with wheels and TTT.
    A tail gate that opens where one can slide some boxes in, not even a Cargo slide or drawers, just guides and some tie down points to secure the lot with bungee straps.
    Forget Electrickery (personally). I have camped in Berg en Dal next to a power point for 6 days and never used it.

One must be able to completely remove the lid and tent, then I can use it as a conventional trailer to take my garden rubbish away or collect a fridge when needed.

Now there is a trailer I will consider.
    Not sure if you've seen these

http://buzzardindustries.co.za/bush.php

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GKE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GKE View Post

I never really looked for a trailer long enough to come across this one. Interesting.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AntonN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    What irks me is that most of these trailers/caravans takes longer to "deploy" than it takes to erect a dome tent plus extension, assembling our carmaquip beds and set up our fully equipped kitchen.
    ..We dont mind spending a morning putting up our Skipper set up for a Pensioners month at Yellow Sands @ R 1750 for the month or our upcoming 12 days at Rooiputs...Far more comfortable than our old Ground tent set up and far more safe at Rooiputs than our old Ground tent ..We just move less often ..Choose a camp at booking and enjoy your holiday instead of packing up and trekking every 2nd day without getting into the area
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2019/03/29 at 06:43 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Danie Malan View Post

A few years ago we were joined by friends who, at that stage, had an Echo trailer. A RTT is wonderful when you are on the move every day, but with our friends we changed our camping style from camp-hopping to staying in one campsite for longer. Carrying additional fuel and water to remote areas also became a problem.

The need for a camping trailer was born, albeit reluctantly.

After much research and deliberation, the Metalian Mini was the only trailer that made the list: weight, quality-, price- as well as size-wise.
    What a fine and well-built trailer. Stainless steel with a mono-coque design. Tows like a dream, which is just as well, because I don’t need an extra burden on the thirsty Jeep.
    I still don’t like to reverse when wanting to take a photo, even though I have a reverse camera on the trailer.

It took us a while to rig the Mini to our taste. It now has everything: place for 5 petrol jerry cans for my Jeep, fridge (freezer built into home-made drawer system in the Jeep), Dometic gas stove, basin, 75L water tank as well as 40L osmosis drinking water, running water, and ample lighting inside and outside of the tent.
    Granted, the Mini is packed to capacity. I don’t transport air when we camp for a few weeks – every available space is utilized!

When we overnight in a camp, we only open the TTT section with awning over the kitchen. When staying in the same camp for extended periods of time, we open the full awning and erect the side walls. In complete wilderness (without ablutions) we even put up the add-on room without the floor section to create an ablution corner. A real home away from home. Wonderful to come “home” after a long day’s drive and just zip up your door. We like it so much that lately we have begun to put up everything, even when we are travelling alone.

This setup has drawn much attention – once we even had a couple parked at a distance to watch us dismantle the whole setup because they could not believe that this mini-village could fit into a small metal box on wheels. Last year in CKGR we even had rude people unzip the flysheet and rip-stop door to inspect the inner setup while we were not there. How do we know? Caught them on our trail-cam!
    A Roof top tent will never work with Jane & I as I go out before sunrise for 2 hours to photograph wildlife and come back at 07h30 as J prefers to get up later and make coffee with the birds .Packing away a RTT every morning in the Dark with a wife inside is not doable

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    A Roof top tent will never work with Jane & I as I go out before sunrise for 2 hours to photograph wildlife and come back at 07h30 as J prefers to get up later and make coffee with the birds .Packing away a RTT every morning in the Dark with a wife inside is not doable
    Mr Betts - First time EVER I have seen you being prepared to back down - for the wife nogal
    Fiddler

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    We have the same problem, out early morning back mid morning out again late afternoon back late evening. Two weeks fighting with the traditional RTT and you need another holiday
    The only alternative is the Bundutec where setup take seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by GKE View Post

Yup thank you, this trailer has been discussed extensively earlier in this topic, it is ideal and at under R40k a real contender.

I just don't understand why the big manufacturers can't take one or two of their normal model off the production lines before they start fitting all the extra stuff.
    They will be exactly the same box and wheels as their normal models, same quality, same dimensions, same material, same production line and methods, just without all the bits and pieces that push the price up to over R200k. In other words, give us the option of buying an Echo 2 for example with nothing in it.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    Y In other words, give us the option of buying an Echo 2 for example with nothing in it.

totally possible, I did this on a echo 2 and got delivery within 2 weeks (8 work days to be exact)

Quote Originally Posted by ehoffmann View Post
    mr betts - first time ever i have seen you being prepared to back down - for the wife nogal ;d;d;d;d
    ;d;d;d;d;d;d

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

In an earlier post I actually stated that I enjoy my holidays different ways. Ground camp, RTT and chalet.
    I also said I prefer the camping experience to the chalet. The Pretoriuskop analogy was purely for illustration purposes. I can still visit and enjoy any place (most places), which I do, in my Everest, without a trailer, without paying any premium.

So let me not use a chalet as example, let us compare camping rates then. For a R100,000 trailer at R380 per night I can camp 263 days anywhere I want. At say, 15 days a year, which is my annual leave, gives me 17 years of camping paid.
    If (when) I get to old to camp and I have to chalet because I have to take a P&& every 3 hours then I can still chalet in comfort at R1300 per day for 76 days, that is 5 years...
    For R200k my camping and holiday accommodation is paid for 22 years....

I still cannot be sold a trailer as much as I will not try to convince any another person, not buy one. In my world it is unjustifiable. I do not have unlimited funds to buy toys for the sake of having them. They need to serve a purpose first, then I consider the price and then see if I can do it myself or have it in the house. Only after that will I see if it can be obtained anywhere but an out-door shop.
    Dont want to derail this thread but need to point one thing out.
    Keep in mind a trailer/caravan is a big expense now but if looked after well will last you 10-20 years, after which you will probably get your invested money back if you sell it.
    Also this price is now where I am pretty sure chalet holiday prices will not stay the same as now.

On the points of price discrepancy between small and luxurious models I think it is the same with cars. It cant be that much more expensive to build a M3 than it is to build a 320, but there is a huge price difference for the consumer.

I have a Camptech Bosvelder that I am selling. Made completely of fibreglass. Very light to tow and easy and quick to setup. But the big thing is no ladders to get into bed. One step up and you are in bed! See the Classifieds.
    Mahindra Scorpio Suv 2015 2.2 mHawk 4x4 7 seater
    Summit Everest trailer
    Mahindra XUV500 W8 2013

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Petzer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    Dont want to derail this thread but need to point one thing out.
    Keep in mind a trailer/caravan is a big expense now but if looked after well will last you 10-20 years, after which you will probably get your invested money back if you sell it.
    Also this price is now where I am pretty sure chalet holiday prices will not stay the same as now.

On the points of price discrepancy between small and luxurious models I think it is the same with cars. It cant be that much more expensive to build a M3 than it is to build a 320, but there is a huge price difference for the consumer.
    Have you seen how many trailers are for sale? One might get your money back, maybe, however there are so many available that it is not going to be a quick sell, if you need to get rid of it fast. I also stated that I don't always camp. I have the flexibility, without extra cost, to camp, chalet and do many things without spending money on a trailer, since I do not need the extra space. The Everest does the job just fine.

I merely pointed out, that for me personally, it makes no sense. On the flip-side, I cannot see myself trailer camping for 20 years. I need some diversity in my holidays. Yes I can rough it and we have, but I sometimes also want to just pack in 10 minutes and go to a place where I can open a door and enjoy some creature comforts.

The trailer thing is a personal choice thing. Maybe if I was 25 or 30, my view might have been different.

Over the last 30 years that I have camped I have gone from caravan to off road trailer to off road caravan. Although some don't tow, that is a personal opinion. We spend a lot of time in the bush where our van is our base camp. One closes the door in the morning and when you return after a long day in the bush it's a quick unlock. Fortunately we are all different. I for one like the idea that my camp setup is 15minutes and I am self sufficient off grid and when we go out into the bush for the day that my camp breakdown is only having to lock my van door.
    I have never lost money selling a van nor a trailer. And they sell very quickly. Considering that a new 4x4 is 500 plus I am more than happy to pay 300 for my holiday home. It also helps that it is used monthly.
    This is not a case of trying to understand nor keep up with the Jones'
    It's exactly the same with everything, camera equipment for example, some are happy with a cell phone pic some spend a huge amount of cash on their hobby.
    Do what you love, and spend the money doing it.

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mplester For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: Have trailer manufacturers lost the plot?

Agree with 4x4 wannabie 100% - Hit the nail on the head - have trailer, will go... !!
    Offtrax gave us the option to add to the basic Outplay according to our needs and budget.
    Last edited by Robinr22; 2019/03/29 at 01:52 PM.
    2014 Renault Duster 4x4
    Haval H1
    2016 Offtrax Outplay

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Robinr22 For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast