New 300tdi Fanbelt Noise?

Default New 300tdi Fanbelt Noise?

It never rains but it pours!

As some of you may remember, I have just successfully reconditioned my 300tdi but had to replace a leaky Welch Plug next to the P Gasket.

So, I fix the leak and replace everything correctly and when I start it there is a new noise coming from the fan belt. It's not any of the bearings as they've all been replaced. The fan belt is about a month old at the most and it's not anything sinister.
    If I spray a hose on the belt the noise stops.
    What irks me is that there was no noise before I pulled it down and reassembled it. Once the car warms up it's much better but I can't find a reason for it. It's just annoying as I want to hear the new motor purr not squeak like a cat having a car run over its tail repeatedly.

Any ideas?

Default Re: New 300tdi Fanbelt Noise?

I know when anti-freeze or sometimes some engine cleaners gets on some serpentine belts they can make a terrible noise!! I can only assume it 'dries' it out or takes away the coating or something. Jeep 2.8's, Hilux D4D's, Navara's and also the 300tdi come to mind. I've used a Kent product called Acrysol that works well to clean and help, but most of the time you need to replace the belt and give the pulleys etc a good clean first before putting the new belt on. Thats whats worked for me, maybe there some other ideas. Cheers

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shaun8500 For This Useful Post:

I had exactly the same with my 300. With everything new I even had the charge light glowing a tiny bit. With a bit of Googling I learnt that it's often the tensioner and you need to shim up one side to realign the pulley. That didn't make any difference to mine though.
    What did work was belt dressing.
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hagu13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the suggestions but......

What is belt dressing?

Quote Originally Posted by Peppercorn View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions but......

What is belt dressing?
    Aerosol stuff you buy at the auto spares places. You spray it onto both sides of a running belt. It's quite tacky so the belt is "glued" to the pulleys.
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hagu13 For This Useful Post:

Its probably your tensioner pully. The bush in the centre starts to collapse and alignment goes out. you can buy some time by shimming up the water pump side of the tensioner assembly. Just carry a spare belt, the belt will fail prematurely if misaligned. Even with belt dressing.
    1985 Land Rover 110 - 300tdi conversion

It's always more fun on the road less travelled

10. The Following User Says Thank You to iLandy For This Useful Post:

Mine did the same after I recond my engine. After about 5000km I checked the timing belt cover and noticed the pulley was wobbly. Replaced the timing belt cover and sound is gone.Cheers
    Theo le Roux 1995 Defender 110 300TDI 2014 Bush-Trotter Warthog

12. The Following User Says Thank You to T le Roux For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the advice.

Gee it's bloody noisy and annoying. It's also very difficult to tell where it's exactly coming from. It's just a wide noise. It sounds like about 30 Locusts all rubbing their legs together calling each other.

I will try the shimming and see of that makes a difference. The worse thing is that everything looks and feels fine or is new.

I just thought I would give this thread an update on this annoying noise that no remedy seemed to fix and all logic failed until.........

I'd replaced the belt with a new belt with the rebuild of the motor (2 weeks ago) and then because the noise continued, I decided to buy a new tensioner. The noise was diminished significantly however the motor was hot when I replaced it.

However the next morning when I start her up and she's cold, the million crickets reappear.

So, this morning I tried the 10 cent piece at 9 O'clock trick. It made it worse. So, I tried it at 3 O'clock and there was an improvement but still squeaky. So, I thought I'd try a 20 cent piece as they're a bit thicker. Bad mistake.

I started her up and within 30 seconds the belt started to eat itself because of misalignment no doubt. I stopped the motor, removed the coin, shouted some choice swear words and threw the now shredded belt into the garbage. I found the old belt and put it back on.

Guess what? No noise! None whatsoever.

It was the bloody belt!!! Some cheap Indian or Chinese thing no doubt. So, I've ordered a new belt from a reputable Landy Dealer as the old one I'm using is pretty frayed in spots.

Anyway, I'm happy to have finally found the genesis of the problem because it was driving me crazy and I just couldn't let it go. The squeak was so bad that when you passed oncoming cars at any speed the squeaking noise from the belt bouncing off those cars was a constant reminder.

There just seemed to be no logical answer to any logical question..... especially why is this bloody thing squeaking so loudly?!?!?
    So beware, there are crappy belts out there with no name on them that 'squeak like the deek'.
    Thanks for all your suggestions and help though. I hope this saves someone the hassles I've had.

I had the same experience - can't remember the make of the belt, but it obviously had a different rubber compound and squeaked a lot, especially at slow rpm. I learnt to live with it. The belts lasted as long as the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by Peppercorn View Post

Guess what? No noise! None whatsoever.
    If you continue to struggle, get a "Gatorback" belt. It used to be a Goodyear product, but I think it is now RAM.

The Gatorback has always solved squeaky 300 Tdi problems for me. Even when the OEM belt didn't.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fontuin For This Useful Post:

thanks Fontun

I will remember that. I will fit the new one that's coming and it should be a good quality one. So, I'll see.

Good outcome in the end! Some things with cars are hard to understand haha. I agree with the belt choices given

Cheers

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Shaun8500 For This Useful Post:

Well, the new belt turned up a few hours ago. I'm such an expert now that it took me all of 5 minutes to find my tools, remove the Fan, release the tensioner, remove the old belt, then fit the new one and refit the Fan.
    Started her up and whisper quiet. Thank you Lord!

It's a Dayco Belt. Made in Italy. (it should be called a Daygo belt!!!! Don't be offended I'm Italian heritage myself)

Now I can hear my motor purr as it should be.

thanks again.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peppercorn For This Useful Post: