My complete Echo 3 refurb thread

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default My complete Echo 3 refurb thread

Hey guys,

In 2014 I decided to buy an old 2002 echo 3 trailer off a guy. It was in pretty good condition, used it 3 times. I then found a panel beater (cheap backyard type) who then promised me the world of a refurbish and I got a product that was well, little to be desired. Used it once and then it stood for a couple of years and me regretting the botch refurb.

A few months ago I met a guy that does some awesome metal work and we agreed on some work to be done on the echo. He is struggling so thought hey, what better way than to help an awesome guy take care of his family.

So here is a photo journey of the echo.

1st camp session in the original Echo 3 as I bought it....

Photos below are of the trailer just before it went it for its 1st "refurb"...

The stripping process begins before its sent for "refurb"

Some photos of the botch job panel beating session.

I wanted it green, army green, black wheels, got rid of those horrible plastic mud guards to something I could walk on.... added a roof rack, tent and some other things... paint job was much to be desired and that bling checkerplate - bleh... it really didnt look very good or rugged for that matter. Those boxes were full of sand and shyte after the trip

Finished an awesome 12,000 km trip with it through Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia and South Africa and afterwards it stood. Was very neglected as I was not happy with my mistake.

Now for some photos of where it stands currently. The plan is to completely refurbish the botch job echo, my vision for it will be raptor lined in black both inside and outside, mud terrain tyres, original tent put back on and a new black tent cover made for it. in Short I love the whole tactical look.. New nose cone which will house 1 x 7L gas bottle that feeds the stove, potentially the new HCDP if it doesnt fit in the back and all other camping related gear, new mud guards, spare moved to the back, fridge slider in the front compartment. Kitchen completely redone, shelf, bottom shelf lifts up for storage and clothing drawers (his and hers) on the opposite side. There will also be a wood rack on top of the nose cone.

Next step is to add brake system and well as a water pump system with a faucet at the kitchen area to really benefit from that 100L water tank under.

A penny for your thoughts on progress so far.

Last edited by DETOUR-GP; 2019/04/19 at 03:45 PM.
    Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

Default Re: My complete Echo 3 refurb thread

Rob, you're right. That oke didn't do a great job but, what a fantastic foundation to use as a camper build! It's already looking so much better. I will subscribe to this thread to keep an eye on progress.
    Discovery 3 4.0 V6

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chopped For This Useful Post:

I would move the jockey wheel clamp forward as it seems to hit the nosecone

Nice project, sub
    Current: 2018 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLT AT DC 4x2 with 1985 Jurgens Fleetline L
    Sold: 2015 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL MT DC 4x2, Sold: 2013 Ford Focus 1.6 5DR Trend, Sold: 2010 Ford Ranger 2.5TD Supercab, Sold: 2007 Ford Bantam 1.6 XLE, Sold: 2006 Ford Focus 1.6 5DR Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefin06 View Post
    I would move the jockey wheel clamp forward as it seems to hit the nosecone

Nice project, sub
    Yes sir, the move of the jockey wheel forward is on the cards this weekend as well as sending bits and pieces in for powder coating.

Will post an update and more photos soon, for now this is the look I am going for.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DETOUR-GP; 2019/03/22 at 11:19 AM.
    Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DETOUR-GP For This Useful Post:

An update on where the trailer is at. Itís a slow build but a fun one.

Next step, grind off all the unwanted bits, sand and raptor line it

Rob,

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DETOUR-GP For This Useful Post:

Found some more before photos of the trailer and while i was stripping the original bits and bobs.

How its changed
    Rob,

Update: 01 May 2019

• Trailer has been booked in for a full sandblasting outside, inside and under. Once done it will be primed with automotive primer. Now the stripping needs to begin in order to deliver a shell on wheels
    • New jockey wheel, outriggers, trailer wiring, tail lights, indicators
    • Upol Raptor liner black has been ordered.
    • New black canvas tent cover has been ordered
    • 31x10.5 R15 General Grabber Mud Terrains ordered.

2 of these brake/running lights will be fitted at the rear top on each side. 2 mini indicators on each side
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	527193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l500.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	527196

2 of these lifting legs will be at the rear with a heavy duty jockey wheel in front. Should make for a stable trailer. Found the factory stabilizers to be a bit flimsy. The lifting legs will be stored on the front nose cone.

Name:	41-l.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	527194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60-single-side.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	527195
    Last edited by DETOUR-GP; 2019/05/01 at 10:43 AM.
    Rob,

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DETOUR-GP For This Useful Post:

Your rebuild is coming along great guns. Have a look at the Desert Wolf Lynx Kitchen set up whilst you still refurbishing. It is a great idea.
    MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Your rebuild is coming along great guns. Have a look at the Desert Wolf Lynx Kitchen set up whilst you still refurbishing. It is a great idea.
    Thanks for the compliment and the suggestion. I have been looking at all kinds of kitchen setups (Conqueror, Metallian, Echo, Desert Wolf etc) to find inspiration for mine and find that many of the trailers just have so much stuff that one doesn't need so I am going for a minimalist type setup. (This comes from being a car only Overlander and taking only what I need due to limited space).

The left side main door itself will get a food grade stainless steel sheet which will be the prep area. The kitchen in the trailer is split into 3 horizontal sections:

Top Shelf: The top shelf where I plan on splitting it into 3rds. 2/3 will be the crockery (4 plates, 4 mugs, 4 glasses, 4 bowls, cutlery to suit, cutting board, cheese grater) & cutlery (Knives, forks etc) the 1/3 will be cooking spices, oil etc. The stuff you use all the time.
    Bottom Shelf: This shelf will be use area storing bread, kettle other items when the kitchen is open / camp setup
    Under Bottom Shelf: The bottom shelf has an opening floor lift up where underneath I plan on putting Big Volcano pot, small volcano pot, Bread pot, small dutch oven & pan, 2 collapsible bowls, 2 plate gas cooker, non perishables and vegetables for the camp.Basically Items you will only access once or twice a day.

2 Braai grids will fit into the pouch on the back door of the trailer.

The front door of the trailer (where the original echo 3 kitchen was) will house a NL weekend 52L fridge on a slider. I may just fit a drawer above it on a slide (Will see how the fridge fits).
    Last edited by DETOUR-GP; 2019/05/01 at 04:02 PM.
    Rob,

2 May Update

Purchased 2 of these voltage displays to monitor the 2 batteries:

Name:	61y5RoEK33L._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	527311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61IX3DbNvHL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	527312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71nySX0ocOL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	527313

Also got hold of these battery waterproof isolator switches, 1 for each battery and will be mounted externally for easy access

Name:	61VxBP1Y7QL._SL1010_.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	527314

12 fuse Blue Sea Systems Fuse block to distribute the 12V power. Strange enough the 12 fuse block was cheaper than the 6 fuse block which I initially wanted.

Name:	91Ef-cG4R5L._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	527315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81qzMsck8VL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	527316
    Rob,

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DETOUR-GP For This Useful Post:

Finalized the trailer wiring diagram of how to wire the beast.

View it here ---> http://www.xpedition.africa/share/Tr...ring-final.pdf

Power decisions made
    • Opted not to go for the HCDP at the moment simply to keep the cost down. Purchased the Victon MPPT for USD 75 and the CTEK MXS 7.0 for a whopping R1200
    • Decided to not fit an inverter at all, don't need it. All of my gear charges with USB so more than sufficient charging points available around the trailer. There will be a 5 point panel in the kitchen area which is only connected to mains input so if the trailer is set up where there is mains power.

Also fitting 2 of these, 1 on each side of the trailer. This way I can charge my phone or mac in either the kitchen area or on the inside of the tent.

Name:	61pQKRmOr4L._SL1000_.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	527583
    Rob,

Quote Originally Posted by DETOUR-GP View Post

Power decisions made
    • Opted not to go for the HCDP at the moment simply to keep the cost down. Purchased the Victon MPPT for USD 75 and the CTEK MXS 7.0 for a whopping R1200
    • Decided to not fit an inverter at all, don't need it. All of my gear charges with USB so more than sufficient charging points available around the trailer. There will be a 5 point panel in the kitchen area which is only connected to mains input so if the trailer is set up where there is mains power.

Also fitting 2 of these, 1 on each side of the trailer. This way I can charge my phone or mac in either the kitchen area or on the inside of the tent.

Rob
    Hi and wow that is very impressive, What software did you use to do that drawing.

http://www.overlandworx.com

Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)
    Peter Street

2013 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE 8sp AKA " Gr8 White Induna"

Here is my setup

Note - the blue square is actually a fuse box and all red wires go through fuses...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) beyond 830 000 km

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    Rob
    Hi and wow that is very impressive, What software did you use to do that drawing.
    Thanks bud, used Microsoft Visio. Its a really awesome, simple to use tool to do most simple drawings from flowcharts, floor arrangements, electrical drawings etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    Here is my setup

Note - the blue square is actually a fuse box and all red wires go through fuses...

Likewise, I also plan to have inline fuses on the main battery cables.
    Last edited by DETOUR-GP; 2019/05/05 at 11:26 AM.
    Rob,

Power decisions made

Excellent.

Having fitted these to mine, may I suggest a switch to shut them off when not in use - they draw a surprising amount of parasitic current when idle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombie View Post
    Excellent.

Having fitted these to mine, may I suggest a switch to shut them off when not in use - they draw a surprising amount of parasitic current when idle.
    Very valid point you have there. Perhaps ill make a switch panel to independently turn each circuit on and off as needed. Thanks for the suggestion :-)
    Rob,

Look whatís arrived today! Woohooooo

Rob,

24. The Following User Says Thank You to DETOUR-GP For This Useful Post:

Look whatís arrived today! Woohooooo

Where did you buy it from
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

Quote Originally Posted by whosthejman View Post
    Where did you buy it from
    Bought it directly from the U-Pol agent in South Africa, Barkocel. Registered with them as a distributor pop me a direct message and I can help order.

Last edited by DETOUR-GP; 2019/05/14 at 02:14 PM.
    Rob,

Bought it directly from the U-Pol agent in South Africa, Barkocel. Registered with them as a distributor pop me a direct message and I can help order.

What business are you in if you don't mind me asking?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast