My complete Echo 3 refurb thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: My complete Echo 3 refurb thread

You do get proper heavy duty lifting legs that you fit onto the trailer . Gonna be a lot neater I would think and not all these loose things lying around .

Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    What business are you in if you don't mind me asking?
    Sent you a direct message
    Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

Thank You for your inputs on this thread Detour. I think anyone who wants a tag along is looking for a no fuss easy trailer for self catering purposes at a camp or with a RTT set up of some sort. Something that can remain packed and just replenish and hit the road. I was quite impressed with the Simpson 18 Austrack Campers -- https://www.austrackcampers.com.au/simpson-x-video-new/ I like the idea of narrowing the back section for a fridge only and giving more capacity for the sides. Keeping one side for Food preparation and one side for apparel storage etc.Please send pics once you have finished your layout. The Echo 3 or 4 are looking as good options. The XT 140 Jurgens is still in the frame though for me.
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Thank You for your inputs on this thread Detour. I think anyone who wants a tag along is looking for a no fuss easy trailer for self catering purposes at a camp or with a RTT set up of some sort. Something that can remain packed and just replenish and hit the road. I was quite impressed with the Simpson 18 Austrack Campers -- https://www.austrackcampers.com.au/simpson-x-video-new/ I like the idea of narrowing the back section for a fridge only and giving more capacity for the sides. Keeping one side for Food preparation and one side for apparel storage etc.Please send pics once you have finished your layout. The Echo 3 or 4 are looking as good options. The XT 140 Jurgens is still in the frame though for me.
    Thanks for the message Mike. The idea behind the trailer refurb is 2 fold. Firstly, I only have a B license so I am limited to towing GVM 750kg. Secondly, I find all the camping trailers to have sooo much unnecessary stuff in them and are so heavy. All I want is a modest base camp, built in 12V power, comfortable bed, Tent room with drawers for clothes (his & hers), workable/ practical kitchen area with the necessities and a fridge. The goal is to keep it lightweight packed with only what I need and being ready for adventure with only the need for food replenishment.

The problem with the older Echo 3 trailers in their factory form is that they are rather archaic (you get what you pay for) hence why I decided to put a bit of money into the trailer to make it work for me yet, looking good in the matt black while remaining capable off-road. I am considering fitting shock absorbers to it - really hate the bounce.
    Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

The trailer was stripped of all its goodies today and gone in for sandblasting and priming. Should get it back Monday / Tuesday next week and then reassembly and ready for Raptor lining.
    Rob,

Quote Originally Posted by Pierreo View Post
    You do get proper heavy duty lifting legs that you fit onto the trailer . Gonna be a lot neater I would think and not all these loose things lying around .
    Do you have pictures or a link of this?

Land Rover Freelander 2009 Td4 2.2 HSE (his)
    Land Rover Freelander 2005 td4 2.0 HSE facelift (hers)

Modified Jurgens xt 75

The problem with the older Echo 3 trailers in their factory form is that they are rather archaic (you get what you pay for) hence why I decided to put a bit of money into the trailer to make it work for me yet, looking good in the matt black while remaining capable off-road. I am considering fitting shock absorbers to it - really hate the bounce.[/QUOTE]

good work so far...

I also recently bought a trailer, I know the history on this trailer and this also bounced around on bad roads. I was considering shocks from day one and when I crawled underneath found it has all the brackets and mounting for these (bonus). Phone the manufacturer to get shock specs and viola, mini from the 70's shocks were used.

Fitted them and I must say so far there is a difference.

Hallo Detour gp. Please put up pictures showing trailer repairs. Very interesting

Collected the new canvas today. Tomorrow morning we Raptor. Excited

Rob,

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DETOUR-GP For This Useful Post:

Looking forward on seeing the end result!
    André Jordaan

2016 Ford Ranger 2.2TDCI XL SuperCab 4X2

I've just done something, and I DON'T KNOW what it was!!!

For those curious... progress photos

Rob,

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DETOUR-GP For This Useful Post:

Default My complete Echo 3 refurb thread

Painting is complete. Next step is assembly of all the kit

Last edited by DETOUR-GP; 2019/06/17 at 12:22 PM.
    Rob,

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DETOUR-GP For This Useful Post:

Very nice job Rob. Like to see when all kit is assembled. Please show pictures where batteries are stored and water tank etc Thanks for sharing. Cheers for now
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Very nice job Rob. Like to see when all kit is assembled. Please show pictures where batteries are stored and water tank etc Thanks for sharing. Cheers for now
    Thanks so much bud.

The batteries will be stored in the standard compartment that fits between the 2 wheels just behind the axle, but will be 2 x 74AH Varta batteries. I'm still debating whether to fit that water tank or not as the standard echo tank is not intended to be drinking water - its brown water/ wash water which is available in most places. This will add an unnecessary 118kg (100L water + tank & fittings weight) to the trailer weight which is what I do not want as I want to keep it light weight.

The nose cone will hold 2 x 9kg Cadac gas bottles for cooking and other needs. Fridge on slider in the Front compartment of the trailer
    Rob,

Rob, looking GOOD!!!!!!!!!!
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Really looks very good Rob!
    I have an Echo 4, and am very interested in how the internal packing space will be utilised, once complete. On mine, I don't like the standard packing space on the Echo for all the kitchen stuff, but I see that your intention is to keep your fridge there. So where will the kitchen storage be accommodated?
    Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
    Echo 4 Off-Road Trailer
    Gemini 505 S/Rigid
    Ford Ranger T6 S/C 4x2

Are you going to put clear coat on it?

I might be wrong but I think that is the benefit of the Raptor, it doesn't need a clear coat. It's apparently very robust.

Correct, you do not need to clear coat, but it will give it more of a shine and less of a matt look. But flip side is that if you clear coat scratches will show. But they can be polished/ buffed out.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Wicd For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Really looks very good Rob!
    I have an Echo 4, and am very interested in how the internal packing space will be utilised, once complete. On mine, I don't like the standard packing space on the Echo for all the kitchen stuff, but I see that your intention is to keep your fridge there. So where will the kitchen storage be accommodated?
    Thanks so much Jack. I dont have any better pictures with me at the moment as I am traveling for work (due to supplier delays, I never finished the trailer in time).

In the photo below you will see that I closed off the left side of the trailer and put shelves in which will make the kitchen. Top shelf will be for plates, cups, cutlery and other eating/ drinking utensils.

The middle shelf I am making magnet mount holders that will mount to the top. they will hold coffee, tea, sugar. I am then add magnets to unused preform bottles and those will hold all the spices. Under the floor of the middle shelf I will hold all the pots, pans and non perishable foods. Hope this helps?

Nope, no clear coat needed on the Raptor liner. Think of it like a hard plastic liner. The way the light falls on the paint plays with your eyes hence the patches. Once it flashes completely after 75 hours it will go away. The texture is like a coarse sand paper. Absolutely love it and the photos just dont do it any justice.
    Rob,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast