Loadshed problem advice please - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Loadshed problem advice please

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    Peter I have a 105 amp hr Deltec deep cycle battery for you if you want it.

I bought it in December, but the battery wasn't the problem.
    Thanks Chris but those things are expensive and I had the batteries checked out and they say they're fully charged and holding charge under load = no problem apparently.
    After re-fitting no more red light on the controller - so a bit of a mystery.

Maybe it is simply not enough charging time vs discharging at such regular intervals.
    It seems we have a bit of a break today ...

Will see how it develops going forward.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

At the moment I again have the battery charger on (but not the solar panel). Charging normally - no red lights, no excessive heat on the negative terminal as before.
    So now I am wondering if it was having the solar panel and mains charger running at the same time that caused the issue even though it was heavily overcast all day ?
    Must admit that I am a bit mystified.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    At the moment I again have the battery charger on (but not the solar panel). Charging normally - no red lights, no excessive heat on the negative terminal as before.
    So now I am wondering if it was having the solar panel and mains charger running at the same time that caused the issue even though it was heavily overcast all day ?
    Must admit that I am a bit mystified.
    Did you not perhaps have a poor connection on the negative terminal, leading to arcing, heat, and poor performance?

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    Did you not perhaps have a poor connection on the negative terminal, leading to arcing, heat, and poor performance?
    Connecting with crocodile clips from mains charger so I guess that is possible but I did not hear or see any sparks flying.

Connecting with crocodile clips from mains charger so I guess that is possible but I did not hear or see any sparks flying.
    Some croc clips are made of material heating up quickly. The current open type with the coiled spring we grew up with are bad lately. I have been using these industrial terminals on my battery and even with the spring that ensures connection at all times I still found volt drop after a few weeks drawing the start current for the fridges.
    This is something we have to be on the lookout now that we draw more power from batteries.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	___Snap4968.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	523145

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Some croc clips are made of material heating up quickly. The current open type with the coiled spring we grew up with are bad lately. I have been using these industrial terminals on my battery and even with the spring that ensures connection at all times I still found volt drop after a few weeks drawing the start current for the fridges.
    This is something we have to be on the lookout now that we draw more power from batteries.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	___Snap4968.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	523145
    THAT is one serious connection !!!

Peter the picture might be misleading as it can only take a 10 Sq mm wire but I fancy the fact that connection does not break under vibration due to the spring even if it might work loose.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

I would advice you to go very basic. Dont buy solar panels
    nor charge controller rather invest on the inverters with built in charger such a devel 24v 3kw that you can permanently keep plugged to eskom power and then connect your minimum 2 x12v batteries in series. you can expand your battery bank as you go along . The main objective should be to have power for between 2 to 4hrs and you should choose carefully what you want to power so as not to drain
    your batteries. For example in my case I have a 48v inverter with a built in charger connected to a 200ah gel batteries x 4.the inverter receives input from eskom power and during load shedding it kicks in just like a ups. i did not mess up with my house electrical system but through an extension cord I've connected the fridge, microwave tv and dstv decoder and playstation During the longest load shedding period I use about 25 % of my battery bank capacity and that is quickly replenished when eskom power comes back . So I basically have no need for solar panels or charge controller and the kids enjoy playing their play station and having unspoilt food during load shedding

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mbu For This Useful Post:

There are some good inverter charger ups units on the market, all in one unit with solar panel connection. My 3500 watt unit with two 325 watt panels and only two 120 amp batteries works fine and recharge fine with 3 loadshedding per day. It's a 24 volt system. I've connected all lights and selected plugs in the house.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to toppie4x4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by toppie4x4 View Post
    There are some good inverter charger ups units on the market, all in one unit with solar panel connection. My 3500 watt unit with two 325 watt panels and only two 120 amp batteries works fine and recharge fine with 3 loadshedding per day. It's a 24 volt system. I've connected all lights and selected plugs in the house.
    I like your system its very basic as well and can go indefinately during the day no matter how long load shedding goes. However in the future try to increase your battery bank for especially in winter with cloudy days and the worst case scenarios where you don't have the sun for 2 to 3 consecutive days or when the load shedding periods are more at night and for longer durations but I suppose. even then you will survive because your system still has input in between loadshedings from eskom to assist the panels to charge you battery bank.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mbu For This Useful Post:

What brand do you have?
    Most of the ones I have seen max at around 1500W?

Last edited by Paul Dold; 2019/03/23 at 06:57 AM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Ecco they go up to 5000 watt
    Last edited by toppie4x4; 2019/03/23 at 08:07 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to toppie4x4 For This Useful Post:

Ecco they go up to 4000 watt
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A 1000w inverter will pull around 90 amps from the batteries, no wonder they are going flat quickly. 90 w solar can never keep up with that load.
    With the stage 4 in place and stage 5 or 6 looming:

I find that my two linked 102AH batteries feeding 12v supply to 1 000W inverter do not recharge fully between outages.

So after three or four outages I can no longer draw power from the system without harming the batteries due to pulling them down too far.
    When fully charged we get through up to a 4 hour cut without problems.

That is using a mains battery charger and a 90W solar panel through a controller to re-charge.
    Even on a fully sunny day they do not bring that batteries up to full charge in time for the next cut.
    When cloudy then of course it is even worse.

So now my question:

Do I buy additional batteries or another solar panel or what ?

It seems to me I just need to re-charge at a faster rate ? Maybe a more aggressive charger ?

Obviously (at least in my case) cost is critical.

I am sure many others will be experiencing similar issues.

Any suggestions from our forum fundies ?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jimsutt For This Useful Post:

Ref: Jimsutt: "A 1000w inverter will pull around 90 amps from the batteries, no wonder they are going flat quickly. 90 w solar can never keep up with that load."

Hi there.
    Thank you for your input.
    Is the 90 amps you mention assuming the inverter is running 24 hours daily?

I must state though that I have used this exact setup over a number of years when travelling overland frequently without the convenience of mains power for the battery charger for several days on end.

In other words the only sources available to re-charge the batteries were (for up to 3 -4 days at a time) ONLY the solar panel and the vehicle alternator.
    At that time I was running the 50L camping fridge freezer in anything from 20 to 42 deg c ambient (set to -5 deg c in the freezer section - just not freezing anything in the fridge section). In addition my CPAP breathing device off the inverter for average 6 hours or so nightly.
    The inverter only ran at night. Fridge draws 12 v from the batteries / solar but switches to inverter when it is on at night.

Now at home I have mains power most of the day and the solar panel but not driving for hours on end.
    All that runs during load shedding is a medium size colour TV, DSTV decoder and one or two LED lights and that only for the 2 - 4 hour cut. Everything else is off excepting the inverter itself of course.

Since the batteries have been given a clean bill of health could it be the mains charger or the solar controller maybe?
    As mentioned above the negative terminal gets excessively hot while the mains charger is attached but does not draw the full amperage available to it.

I am really puzzled since it always worked so well in the past and my first thought was that at least one of the batteries may have failed. (About 3 - 4 years old).

The hot negative must be an indication of ? Connection seems to be OK and the positive is mildly warm. No sound of gassing or overheating of the batteries themselves. Now I'm thinking its the charger?

Ref: Jimsutt: "A 1000w inverter will pull around 90 amps from the batteries, no wonder they are going flat quickly. 90 w solar can never keep up with that load."

Hi there.
    Thank you for your input.
    Is the 90 amps you mention assuming the inverter is running 24 hours daily?

I must state though that I have used this exact setup over a number of years when travelling overland frequently without the convenience of mains power for the battery charger for several days on end.

In other words the only sources available to re-charge the batteries were (for up to 3 -4 days at a time) ONLY the solar panel and the vehicle alternator.
    At that time I was running the 50L camping fridge freezer in anything from 20 to 42 deg c ambient (set to -5 deg c in the freezer section - just not freezing anything in the fridge section). In addition my CPAP breathing device off the inverter for average 6 hours or so nightly.
    The inverter only ran at night. Fridge draws 12 v from the batteries / solar but switches to inverter when it is on at night.

Now at home I have mains power most of the day and the solar panel but not driving for hours on end.
    All that runs during load shedding is a medium size colour TV, DSTV decoder and one or two LED lights and that only for the 2 - 4 hour cut. Everything else is off excepting the inverter itself of course.

Since the batteries have been given a clean bill of health could it be the mains charger or the solar controller maybe?
    As mentioned above the negative terminal gets excessively hot while the mains charger is attached but does not draw the full amperage available to it.

I am really puzzled since it always worked so well in the past and my first thought was that at least one of the batteries may have failed. (About 3 - 4 years old).

The hot negative must be an indication of ? Connection seems to be OK and the positive is mildly warm. No sound of gassing or overheating of the batteries themselves. Now I'm thinking its the charger?
    Firstly the 90 amps is only when the inverter is supplying the full 1000w. That equates to just over an hr on your batteries.

If the terminals are getting hot it can mean 2 things.
    1.. they are loose.
    2.. the current is too high for the size of the terminal or cables.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jimsutt For This Useful Post:

Wrong Thread :-)
    Last edited by SBSP; 2019/03/24 at 02:46 PM.
    JK 3.8L 2010 Rubicon Manual 2 door

My system - Home made, handles 6 hours easy when fully charged.

Hopefully the images uploaded
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inverter circuit.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	523311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190324_144520.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	523312  

Are you sure this circuit works well. Contact 6 and 7 and 9 and 11 are normally open so no power goes to the loads. The normally closed contacts are putting 220V mains directly on the inverter 220V and it should not go down too well. I hope I am missing something.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2019/03/24 at 10:12 PM.

I shall check the hand drawn circuit this evening - I seem to have made an error when redoing it power point.Thanks, I shall repost

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast