Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Mecer Inverter - 8 Batteries - Real World Figures

Yes looks like the panels are facing east from that.

Quote Originally Posted by MOSSIE.JHB View Post
    I am no expert but something is not right for the panels in the afternoon.

are you sure there are no big trees or buildings casting a shadow over the panels from 14:30?

are the panels facing North?

just weird that your production starts with a nice slope but then just drops off so quick.....
    Sun is low on the horison in the southern parts, in fact I have a panel on the side of the house to catch the low rising sun
    Robert van den Berg

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

Panels are facing north. There is a tree next door, made a note tomorrow for 2pm to check if it is the culprit which I am suspecting as the dropoff was the same again today.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    Essentially what I want to do is to have a smart switch on the AC input of the backup inverter. It should be on as soon as my Solis PV output covers 100% of load and off if PV falls below that, with a minimum battery SOC that overrides - if battery falls below say 40% it switches on anyways.
    I don't know how you will achieve this. For me the important things is now matter what the load is you use all the PV your panels can provide.

Looking quite good actually.

Adding a grid - tie inverter is actually very cheap because you have all the "other" stuff already..

Less than R10K all in.

But I wouldn't do it in your case, because being a day time user (office), you lose PV power during load shedding, and that PV power is sorely needed to extend your on UPS standby time and battery life.

------------------------

Remember that the power generation you are seeing is not what your system is capable of, but rather a composite of what is generated to feed what is needed. Any spare potential capacity is simply not being generated. (this may be influencing your sudden 14h00 drop off)
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    6x 415w panels at the moment cannot deliver enough to even run just our system, when spring/summer arrives it will obviously be an entirely different story.

Max delivery of 2.49kw. Yesterday it produced 10.63kWh and today 6.89kWH. We use about 24kWh per 24 hours, but so far only have 2 days of data, and it was not the best two days either.

Production starts after 9am, and stops by 3pm.

Learning as we go along
    6 x 415 = 2.49kWp

2.49 x 4 = 9.96kWh and 2.49 x 5 = 12.45kWh

I would expect your system to generate somewhere between 10 and 12kWh. I think you are doing extremely well for the time of year, direction of array and possible obstruction at 14h00.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

I am very happy we went this route, it is much easier understanding everything with something real to look at, and I love working with real data, so this is nice to be able to monitor this in realtime.

At 00:25 this morning the substation threw a wobbly and the office area lost power. Batteries ran down very low but the solar kicked in before the cutoff was reached.

The power is still out, and it could be another couple of hours while they are repairing the substation, our office is almost fully functional (everything works except the coffee machine )

If it was not for these panels we would have lost a lot of hours today.

At 00:25 this morning the substation threw a wobbly and the office area lost power. Batteries ran down very low but the solar kicked in before the cutoff was reached.

The power is still out, and it could be another couple of hours while they are repairing the substation, our office is almost fully functional (everything works except the coffee machine )

See post #85
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

I would regard the coffee machine as a critical productivity aid, but it is really satisfying when a plan comes together.

I have put my coffee machine inside the "essential load" section, and it will only pull around 2000watts and only for a short while, but at least you are able to work and generate revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post

Remember that the power generation you are seeing is not what your system is capable of, but rather a composite of what is generated to feed what is needed. Any spare potential capacity is simply not being generated. (this may be influencing your sudden 14h00 drop off)
    As Dirk indicated the load of 1300W is actually on (office hours) when the PV drops after 14h. There must be a reason like shade.
    Yes the peak PV from the 6 panels are very good for this time of the year.

Dirk, mind to share more on the monitoring of PV produce on the expert? Bluetooth, cloud or cable - what is the software/hardware setup you use for tracking?
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

I am using ICC-PI to monitor, that outputs to its own system for the graphs etc, and then also output to https://pvoutput.org

https://iccsoftware.co.za/icc-pi/

I am running it on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ connected to the inverter via usb.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    As Dirk indicated the load of 1300W is actually on (office hours) when the PV drops after 14h. There must be a reason like shade.
    Yes the peak PV from the 6 panels are very good for this time of the year.
    Quite correct, but even prior to 14h00 to see anything more than 1300W implies that the batteries must be charging. If they are charged then max you will ever see is 1300W, so it is extremely difficult to characterize an own consumption PV system.

You often see people say, I have 5kWp of panels but I never seen more than 3.4kW.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

You often see people say, I have 5kWp of panels but I never seen more than 3.4kW.
    Totally agree if grid tied prevents export and when there is not a high enough load present.

This was illustrated nicely yesterday, during the morning the panels did about 2kw while we were working, but our usage was only 900w, the moment the batteries were full the delivery dropped to match the consumption.

So now all we have to do is to even that curve and get better delivery late afternoon, the tree is not going anywhere, so we will have to either move the panels, or add 6 move to the main roof, moving it is counter productive, so we will be adding soon. (Order already placed for it.) We were going to place it on that main roof initially, but then decided on the carport rather. You learn from your mistakes.

Total ability might then be over the top, but that is not a concern at the moment, if I can get as close as possible to matching our consumption between 8 to 5 on business days I will be more than happy. The infrastructure in PE is not of the best, and power failures are becoming the way of life.

This was illustrated nicely yesterday, during the morning the panels did about 2kw while we were working, but our usage was only 900w, the moment the batteries were full the delivery dropped to match the consumption.

So now all we have to do is to even that curve and get better delivery late afternoon, the tree is not going anywhere, so we will have to either move the panels, or add 6 move to the main roof, moving it is counter productive, so we will be adding soon. (Order already placed for it.) We were going to place it on that main roof initially, but then decided on the carport rather. You learn from your mistakes.

Total ability might then be over the top, but that is not a concern at the moment, if I can get as close as possible to matching our consumption between 8 to 5 on business days I will be more than happy. The infrastructure in PE is not of the best, and power failures are becoming the way of life.
    As I said in another thread a while ago.

We have now had many years of experience with unreliable power, the technology is freely available and actually quite cheap. There is no excuse for a commercial enterprise to be caught with their pants down.

The bugger up now comes when comms and data infrastructure ( internet) is unreliable due to power outages.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The bugger up now comes when comms and data infrastructure ( internet) is unreliable due to power outages.
    Agreed! Any infrastructure that the municipality/government has a hand in is problematic.
    However fibre connections are fairly solid. Here in Joburg Vumatel owns most of the fibre and they are on the ball keeping the network up and running.
    Yes, they can have problems (rarely) but they will answer the phone when you call..

This can become quite a rabbit hole to jump down. I find the first thing, was that I became even more of a Nazi on the lights being left on all over the house. Then like you, you start to wonder about panels, direction, getting rid of trees if possible.

This would not apply to you, but in a domestic situation, you start looking at making sure your washing machine and dishwasher are only used during the day when the solar is going for broke.

Next thing to look into is the putting in some of those CBI smart breakers that you can connect to the old interwebs and control some loads remotely. (Office geyser.) I am getting my sparkie in this week to sort out that side of the equation for pool pump and geysers.

It really is quite fun when it all starts working out and while I know you are more interested in the productivity that you get but not shutting down the office, trust me, it is quite fun seeing your eskom bill dropping precipitously.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    This can become quite a rabbit hole to jump down. I find the first thing, was that I became even more of a Nazi on the lights being left on all over the house. Then like you, you start to wonder about panels, direction, getting rid of trees if possible.

This would not apply to you, but in a domestic situation, you start looking at making sure your washing machine and dishwasher are only used during the day when the solar is going for broke.

Next thing to look into is the putting in some of those CBI smart breakers that you can connect to the old interwebs and control some loads remotely. (Office geyser.) I am getting my sparkie in this week to sort out that side of the equation for pool pump and geysers.

It really is quite fun when it all starts working out and while I know you are more interested in the productivity that you get but not shutting down the office, trust me, it is quite fun seeing your eskom bill dropping precipitously.

Oh yes it is great! And you learn more and more on what to do when and where as you play with and tweak your system.

We are down to an electric bill of between R250 - R300 per month and it gets better every month as the family slowly wizens up as to how to reduce their energy habits. As you say, great fun and we all enjoy it.
    Last edited by Die SwartKat; 2021/05/17 at 10:56 AM.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast