Plastic roads

Thread: Plastic roads

Default Plastic roads

Thought about posting this in the Interesting pictures thread, but I reckon this might deserve its own thread. Hope no-one else has posted it yet.

Newest development here in JBay. I'm not an expert on this, but apparently it has been done with success in parts of Europe?

I'll attach the articles below.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190318_114624~2.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	522731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190318_114653~2.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	522733
    Anton

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

Default Re: Plastic roads

Quote Originally Posted by avk View Post
    Thought about posting this in the Interesting pictures thread, but I reckon this might deserve its own thread. Hope no-one else has posted it yet.

Newest development here in JBay. I'm not an expert on this, but apparently it has been done with success in parts of Europe?

I'll attach the articles below.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190318_114624~2.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	522731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190318_114653~2.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	522733
    An investment into this technology coupled to the adjacent capability of turning waste plastic into diesel came across my desk the other day. On the face of it it's very exciting in that it can solve a number of our problems in terms of forex, polution and creating a viable income for waste pickers. The numbers don't quite work yet and it needs local and national authorities to buy into it. Unfortunately this is some way off from the discussions I have attended.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

avk

I distribute a Dutch companies plastic plumbing products in SA and they have installed a plastic road in the Netherlands that is getting a bit of publicity. Their plan is not to just pave with plastic but rather to have sections that drop in with all the service ducts installed.
    Here is a weblink to where they are:

https://www.wavin.com/en-gb/Knowledg...he-Netherlands

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BomberH For This Useful Post:

Being in that business, I immediately looked into it.
    The advantage lies in the use of waste plastic, not the product.
    Existing technology exists to add polymers to bitumen when making asphalt.
    The recycled plastic does the same.
    The advantages of the plastic over other polymers will only be viable if one of two things happen:
    1. The plastic is cheaper than polymers (manufactured by places like Sasol).
    2. Somebody subsidises the recycling to make it economically viable.

Asphalt is also 'strengthened' by adding fine rubber particles to it (that's where many old tyres end up).
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

Looks promising... and a good deal all round...

The Kouga Municipality has announced that it will trial South Africa’s first plastic road.

Horatio Hendricks, executive mayor of Kouga Municipality, said the local authority had entered a partnership with Scottish company MacRebur and South African civil engineering experts to build ‘the first plastic road’ in Jeffrey’s Bay.

He said a 1km-stretch of Woltemade and Koraal Streets in Jeffreys Bay has been earmarked for the trial.

“We expect work to start in about a month’s time as the product has to be imported for now.

“The trial will be done at no cost to the municipality, with the respective partners set to foot the bill.”
    Whole article here... https://businesstech.co.za/news/gove...led-materials/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post:

avk

To understand that the advantage is NOT in the product but in the recycling of waste plastic, read this:

http://asphaltmagazine.com/the-benef...fied-asphalts/

Adding polymers to asphalt is not new:

Types of modifiers

Modified asphalts are often generically called “polymer modified asphalts.” Polymers are probably the most common type of modification, but today’s modified asphalts may be produced in several ways. According to the Asphalt Institute’s “(MS-4) Asphalt Handbook”, modifiers and additives being used to boost performance include polymers, chemical modifiers, extenders, oxidants and antioxidants, hydrocarbons and anti-stripping additives.

“Polymers” cover a broad range of modifiers, with elastomers (rubbers or elastics) and plastomers (plastics) being the most commonly used types. Styrene-butadiene rubber (SBR) and styrene-butadiene-styrene (SBS) are frequently used elastomers. Research conducted as part of the National Cooperative Highway Research Program found that SBS is the most often used modifier. These modifiers are used to reduce rutting and to improve fatigue and thermal cracking resistance.

Crumb rubber is an elastomer made from ground tires. Several technologies are in place for using ground tire rubber. This material is used primarily to address rutting.
    Plastomers are used to improve the high temperature (rutting) properties of modified materials. Low density polyethylene (LDPE) and ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA) are examples of plastomers used in asphalt modification.

The most commonly used chemical modifier is polyphosphoric acid (PPA). This modifier may be used in combination with polymers to increase the high-temperature stiffness.

Other modifiers that may be used include asphalt binder extenders (primarily sulfur) and hydrocarbon materials. Hydrocarbons can produce either hardening or softening effects. Materials can be added to increase rutting resistance. Softening agents or rejuvenators are used to lower the viscosity of aged asphalt binders in mixes containing recycled asphalt pavement (RAP).
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

avk

Saw the other day on Reddit plastic for filling potholes.

The video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXKglt_mkg8
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts" : Bertrand Russell

2014 Nissan Navara 2.5 4x2
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 4x4

13. The Following User Says Thank You to staalwol For This Useful Post:

avk

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    ... The advantage lies in the use of waste plastic, not the product...
    If it is not economically viable in South Africa, it does not make sense. We do not the capacity or cash available in the economy to support an expensive green project...

According to the article I referenced, they will use non recyclable (as in lower down the recycle ladder where recycling is/was not viable) materials currently destined for the landfill.

I am holding thumbs that the process is viable and the plastic will last. UV treatment is expensive.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post:

avk

If we can put the waste plastic which is presently infecting and affecting our environment into something really practical such as roads or outdoor furniture etc. then I am all for it.

The collection and centralization of all this will provide income to the waste collectors and create self generated "JOBS".
    The elimination of waste on-land and in the oceans would have huge positive effects for the ecology and planet in general.

The facilities (factories) to re-work the waste into usable products would create even more "JOBS".

The products may well be more durable and require less maintenance than the currently available ones.

I am no scientist, but it seems to make some kind of sense ..... yes?
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

avk

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    If it is not economically viable in South Africa, it does not make sense. ...
    The reason why it is cheaper to use new plastics is that the cost of disposal to landfill is negligible at this stage. Once they start charging a fair price, like they do for hazardous waste, it will contribute a lot to making reuse feasible.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

The numbers I saw (unproven) indicated that on the conversion of plastic to diesel it was a marginal investment at best. So for this to work it needed a co-investment from the state or local authority. Unfortunately, this is not something that gets achieved overnight but the fascinating thing is that we might get a grant from the EU but it has to go via an NGO or a government institution. The latter just gives me cold shivers

Maybe we will get coulored roads now
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

21. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

plastic roads,take me home.....

This is even cooler!! Watch this.https://youtu.be/qlTA3rnpgzU
    FOTON TUNLAND 4X4 LUX
    UPGRADES:"LEVEL IT" SPACER KIT,2" LIFT WITH RANCHO ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS,ROCKSPIDER 4X4: BASHPLATE,ROCKSLIDERS,REARBUMPER/TOWBAR COMBINATION. UTILITY BOXES FOR AIR COMPRESSOR AND RECOVERY GEAR. DIY CANOPY. NEW CUSTOM BUMPER.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UITZICHT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by UITZICHT View Post
    This is even cooler!! Watch this.https://youtu.be/qlTA3rnpgzU
    In theory this is an excellent idea in my opinion, however there are some issues not yet (fully) resolved.

Some matters to consider:

1 Currently VERY expensive to manufacture & install - This should eventually come right with mass production
    2 Easily damaged by heavy vehicles - could perhaps be addressed by using flexible or compressible materials (maybe even the compression process could generate more power in the process?)
    3 Issues with ice & water accumulation could be resolved with further research
    4 Issues with reticulation of power to needed demand points (apart from just keeping the road itself clear of ice for example)
    5 Traction issues? (Probably more rsearch or different materials.
    8 Greater use of recycled materials possible?[/LIST]

I believe that ultimately this will come to be but a lot more work and research is needed which is why we are not yet seeing them installed all over the planet.
    I am also aware of solar power generating roof & road paint being developed which will enhance or supplement these kind of products.

I am reasonably sure that overall savings financially and environmentally will ultimately be an overall net improvement compared to the current one.

Maybe THEN E-Tolls could be justified combined with cheaper electricity supply costs?

I believe that solar paint is being developed for use on road, pavement and roof surfaces as well - also promising ....
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2019/03/19 at 06:59 AM. Reason: typo's
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Apart from skid resistance, I whole road pavement design will have to undergo some development.

Currently the black top with bitumen, that are used, is quit flexible for quit some time (10 to 15 years), and stays in tact for that period.

More rigid material will have be either strong not to bend under wheel loads (else it will crack up) or will have to be as flexible.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/03/19 at 09:07 AM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Never work in this country, not enough fire resistance!
    Any minority that advocates for gun control is either wilfully ignorant, or has never opened a history book.

The problem with collective punishment - is that sooner or later you're part of the collective.

Quote Originally Posted by BluePaj View Post
    Never work in this country, not enough fire resistance!
    You think the current roads are fire resistant?
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    You think the current roads are fire resistant?
    Judging by the fire blackened trenches I drive through on a regular basis, no. But adding a whole bunch of plastic to the mix is definitely not going to improve the situation!
    Last edited by BluePaj; 2019/03/19 at 09:33 AM.
    Any minority that advocates for gun control is either wilfully ignorant, or has never opened a history book.

The problem with collective punishment - is that sooner or later you're part of the collective.

It will need to be panels else how do you fix some damages, and with panels driveability will be bad!
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe