Taking our SOHO off grid - Page 8





Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 191
  1. #141
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,899
    Thanked: 1360

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Solem Solar offers the following:

    1 x 4.6kW inverter, 12 x 365W Canadian Solar panels, including all installation: R66,500

    I've asked them for a quote on one those but with only 6 x panels.
    Batteries??
    Another R40k?

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,950
    Thanked: 15181

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Batteries??
    Another R40k?
    closer to R60k

    https://solemsolar.co.za/english/?gc...AaApFYEALw_wcB
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  3. #143
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,186
    Thanked: 516

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post


    If you go the DIY lithium route like the ones Terrible Triplet and others here use in their systems, you can get plenty battery for R60k.
    If I remember it costs around R25k for a 5.7 KWh bank and is apparently not rocket science to assemble yourself.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:


  5. #144
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,950
    Thanked: 15181

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    If you go the DIY lithium route like the ones Terrible Triplet and others here use in their systems, you can get plenty battery for R60k.
    If I remember it costs around R25k for a 5.7 KWh bank and is apparently not rocket science to assemble yourself.
    Maybe one day.

    A proper BMS is the issue here. LiFePO4 is the way to go, but needs a good management system.

    Goal now is GRID TIED.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  6. #145
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,186
    Thanked: 516

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    So first quote back:

    Blue Planet Solar completely ignored the brief and offered only an off-grid option with batteries.

    So they're off the list.


    I hate suppliers who do this. Yes I got you in for your advice and expertise, but at least listen to what I want as well and work from there.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

  7. #146
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,186
    Thanked: 516

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Maybe one day.

    A proper BMS is the issue here. LiFePO4 is the way to go, but needs a good management system.

    Goal now is GRID TIED.


    Talk to Terrible Triplet, he has been running DIY lithium banks for a long time now with great success and they also know which BMS to use. If I remember he said he wants to add a further 5.7 KWh bank in the near future to expand on his system.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

  8. #147
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,950
    Thanked: 15181

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Talk to Terrible Triplet, he has been running DIY lithium banks for a long time now with great success and they also know which BMS to use. If I remember he said he wants to add a further 5.7 KWh bank in the near future to expand on his system.
    He is on my Ignore list.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  9. #148
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,186
    Thanked: 516

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    He is on my Ignore list.


    Ok then just read threw this thread again and talk to Gerlach.
    That 25k includes the proper BMS.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-yet-another-)
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

  10. #149
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    213
    Thanked: 70

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Talk to Terrible Triplet, he has been running DIY lithium banks for a long time now with great success and they also know which BMS to use. If I remember he said he wants to add a further 5.7 KWh bank in the near future to expand on his system.
    Hahaha. I'm actually the one running mine more then 7 months now.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerlach For This Useful Post:


  12. #150
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    213
    Thanked: 70

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    He is on my Ignore list.
    Aiajaiajiajaaaa!!!!

  13. #151
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    213
    Thanked: 70

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    If you planning to run 3ph. Just get n MLT powerstar inverter, the 8 kw or 16kw or 24kw 3ph unit. Run it in hybrid mode and get n small battery bank, adjust it so if it start dropping under certain volts from the battery bank, then it starts taking from the grid. If the mppts start kicking in, it will start mixing the grid with the solar till it is in full swing and only run from the solar, if it's cloudy day, it will mix the solar with the grid. All the settings you can adjust on the inverter. You can check all the stuff via Bridge portel if you want to online checking.

    You can adjust the inverter to export the power if you want to. Adding a Generator to it super easy, it can start die Gen and cool down and give fuel level and all the stuff. And even wind turbine info to.

    Give MLT a call.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gerlach For This Useful Post:


  15. #152
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,950
    Thanked: 15181

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Solem Solar estimate attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  17. #153
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,734
    Thanked: 608

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Solem Solar estimate attached.
    Thanks for sharing all the detail. I think for a complete installation it does seem quite good.

  18. #154
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Posts
    154
    Thanked: 136

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    He is on my Ignore list.
    Take him off. Send him a message and kiss and make up.
    He is good a person with the best knowledge on the subject

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:


  20. #155
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,950
    Thanked: 15181

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    Take him off. Send him a message and kiss and make up.
    He is good a person with the best knowledge on the subject
    I thought about it. I even went and looked at some more recent posts of his.

    Sorry, I just can't.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  21. #156
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,882
    Thanked: 1353

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Been doing some stats and numbers.

    Monthly kWh = 3000+
    100-110 kWh per day

    So we're talking around 4.5kW per hour all the time.

    Cost is well over R8k per month. In fact, since nobody has read the meter in 4 months, I'm around R9k behind once they come and check.

    So I'd say closer to R10k per month.

    Consumption seems to deviate constantly between 4kW and max 8kW during the day. I'll be more diligent tomorrow.

    Anyhoo:

    To make a dent in this, I'd need 10 x 410W panels, and ideally closer to 16. Between R25k and R40k.

    Victron? Fonius? Sunsynk?
    FYI: I have 15x404W Canadian solar. In Winter I get 20kWhrs/day. In Summer, no rain 30-35kWhr, so even with 16 panels you will only really save 40% of your daily requirement (sunshine time) and in summer , no rain, 70%..

    My panels are not optimised for winter so you can get another 10-15% there by correct positioning of your panels..

    Faniedup on the forum seems to have reached nirvana on power production, he's also in PTA, speak to him about panel angles etc..

    The Sunsynk 8kW can take 11kW panels, with that setup you will produce 4.5kW / hr from 10am to 4pm....

    10x400W panels is not going to make a dent in your bill
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2020/08/24 at 05:44 PM.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post:


  23. #157
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,950
    Thanked: 15181

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    FYI: I have 15x404W Canadian solar. In Winter I get 20kWhrs/day. In Summer, no rain 30-35kWhr, so even with 16 panels you will only really save 40% of your daily requirement (sunshine time) and in summer , no rain, 70%..

    My panels are not optimised for winter so you can get another 10-15% there by correct positioning of your panels..

    Faniedup on the forum seems to have reached nirvana on power production, he's also in PTA, speak to him about panel angles etc..

    The Sunsynk 8kW can take 11kW panels, with that setup you will produce 4.5kW / hr from 10am to 4pm....

    10x400W panels is not going to make a dent in your bill
    yep, the more I look at it, the more the sizers also say that I need around 20 x 410w panels and a 10Kw inverter to cover the daytime load
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  24. #158
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,186
    Thanked: 516

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    yep, the more I look at it, the more the sizers also say that I need around 20 x 410w panels and a 10Kw inverter to cover the daytime load

    You can still start out with 10 panels to ease the budget, just be realistic about the expectations in the beginning, also design the system so that you can easily add panels in future.
    If 10 panels already give you let's say a R2000 saving on electricity per month, you can buy a further 10 panels after only 6 months. If you start now, you'll already have 20 panels in time for next winter.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

  25. #159
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,950
    Thanked: 15181

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    You can still start out with 10 panels to ease the budget, just be realistic about the expectations in the beginning, also design the system so that you can easily add panels in future.
    If 10 panels already give you let's say a R2000 saving on electricity per month, you can buy a further 10 panels after only 6 months. If you start now, you'll already have 20 panels in time for next winter.
    that's the plan
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  26. #160
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,734
    Thanked: 608

    Default Re: Taking our SOHO off grid

    10 x 400W could give about 16-18kWh per day in winter. Thus up to 562kWh per month. The agri rate from Eskom could be around R1.50 per unit depending on the actual tariff applied.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •