Thread: Etosha camping

Default Etosha camping

Hi has anyone been to Etosha lately and camped in the reserve campsites,I have seen some feedback that the campsites are run down ,ablutions in a poor state and very unfriendly staff,etc.
    Would appreciate feedback in this regard
    Gavin

Default Re: Etosha camping

I have been there is August last year and the Halali was extremely run down. I wrote a massive post on it on our Namibia Camping forum, so much so that it got attention from many "high up" NWR people. Some forwarded my letter to some more board members etc.

I haven't been back since, but a member of our Namibia Camping form reported that renovations is underway. Still need to get more confirmation on this though.
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto
    (Tough Dog Suspension / Frontrunner Roofrack and some more goodies...)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sniper For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the update .
    Gavin

We have booked campsites at Namutoni and Okaukuejo for the June school holidays. Any tips/recommendations for these 2?

Okaukeujo gets absolutely invested by these big overlander trucks that spawns 25 small tents per campsite.

Shower early before they arrive. And be brave for your first visit to the loo the next morning. Take your own toilet paper with. The ablutions are fairly new but simply does not cope with the volume.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/03/19 at 05:32 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Udu

We were there last year June:
    Namutoni - best camp site but game viewing not great.
    Halali - Very crowded campsite but great waterhole for game viewing
    Okaukaujo - worst campsite but good general facilities (shop, pool etc), Good waterhole

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    I have been there is August last year and the Halali was extremely run down. I wrote a massive post on it on our Namibia Camping forum, so much so that it got attention from many "high up" NWR people. Some forwarded my letter to some more board members etc.

I haven't been back since, but a member of our Namibia Camping form reported that renovations is underway. Still need to get more confirmation on this though.
    Tent pitched in Halali as I type this. Campsite is a disgrace: as with all NWR it is the most expensive we have had (we are in the midst of 103 night camping safari across Southern Africa.) It is not tired, nor even exhausted: the facilities are so close to death that the final blow will be blessed relief.

I donít want to try and enumerate the problems but they range from faded signposts, to a lack of water standpipes (about 5 survive across about 40 of the 58 pitches, pitches 1-6 each have their own), the electricity points are a lottery (a neighbour had light but no power, our light and power both work but the light fitting is attached with wire) and there are 2 dustbins for the use of the average camper (and a row of green bins at each overlander site!) There is no demarcation of pitches versus the access road, the pitch numbering is sporadic. Ablution facilities are a joke: last nightís shower was cold, this morning the drain was blocked. Door furniture generally missing, plumbing leaks, bulb hanging from ceiling by wires etc. There is no supervision of the pitches: it would be perfectly possible to arrive at gate closing time and pitch in any free spot without a reservation.

Okaukuejo is the same disgrace. We move from here to Namutoni. Olifantsrus facilities were in far better condition but they have overlanders and so are deteriorating fast (sharing 1 gents toilet and 2 gents showers among a lot of people is bound to cause wear and tear a lot faster than expected!)

Staying outside and driving in is pretty futile as the roads are as bad as the facilities.

Quite frankly, IMHO, everyone with job title supervisor or higher in NWR (all the way up to Ms. Zelna Hengari MD) should be fired. SanParks can do 100 times better than NWR at half the price. NWR disgracefully occupies the bottom 3 slots in our campsite rating (Ai-Ais, Okaukuejo & Halali). Sesriem & Olifantsrus are better in our humble opinion but grossly overpriced. Namibia can get it right: Epupa/Omarunga Camp, Khowirab Lodge and Alte Brueke in Swakop are proof of that.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dukla2000 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    We were there last year June:
    Namutoni - best camp site but game viewing not great.
    Halali - Very crowded campsite but great waterhole for game viewing
    Okaukaujo - worst campsite but good general facilities (shop, pool etc), Good waterhole
    Namutoni has the Best Game Viewing with Waterholes like Chudop , kalkhewel , Klein Namutoni and Dik Dik Drive

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Namutoni has the Best Game Viewing with Waterholes like Chudop , kalkhewel , Klein Namutoni and Dik Dik Drive
    Peter thats an interesting opinion. May i ask how many times you have been to Etosha?
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    Peter thats an interesting opinion. May i ask how many times you have been to Etosha?
    Dear Caracal

Looking to book a trip to ETOSHA 2020, would you or anybody reading this be able to recommend how we'r could best spend 5 nights in the park. Respecting the fact that all views are ones opinion.

Etosha was a total anti climax on our Namibian trip last July...the place is overpriced and total lacking in maintenance to the point of disgusting ...the country in general was a revelation but the park NEVER again.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finn McCool For This Useful Post:

I stay a few hours from Etosha and frequently tasked to take our international visitors to the park (tough job but someone has to do it). My experiences of camping, accommodation and services are as varied as the game distribution through the seasons.

I have now given up on NWR and just use Gondwana Etosha Safari camp. It is very close to the Anderson Gate. Value for money and they usually have live entertainment and the atmosphere is good, friendly staff. I have never faulted a Gondwana resort!!

I have not camped there yet but they apparently do have camping. You can even go up to the lodge for a 1st class dining experience.

The inside camps have the advantage but not really worth it in my opinion. You can get in the main gates early enough. It may be worth overnighting in halai, in late, sit at the waterhole at night and then away sparrows fart the next morning.

A friend just reminded me of Taleni, also a good option that is popular with namibians.
    Last edited by Biggles; 2019/05/21 at 09:35 AM.
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Biggles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    Etosha was a total anti climax on our Namibian trip last July...the place is overpriced and total lacking in maintenance to the point of disgusting ...the country in general was a revelation but the park NEVER again.

Absolutely agreed. I loved Namibia and are planning many future trips, but they will all exclude Etosha. I still want the see the pans after good rains, but will stay outside.
    Christa

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Udu View Post
    We have booked campsites at Namutoni and Okaukuejo for the June school holidays. Any tips/recommendations for these 2?
    Hi Udu

How was your experience at the Okaukuejo camp? We are looking to go in October.
    2017 Amarok V6

We just got back from a month in Namibia. Reading these comments I am wondering if we are talking about the same Etosha campgrounds. We stayed at all 3 and they were fantastic. If you don't know that Etosha is far more commercial than most national parks, then you haven't done any research but apart from having more people around when game viewing than normal, the park was amazing. Namutomi is the nicest campground of the 3 - grass, shade etc. Halali & Okaukuejo are just dirt lots but the ablutions were absolutely fine, clean, working etc. and never once did we wait for a shower or the toilet. Yes there were a couple of group camps when we were there but they didn't bother us at all. Besides, who does anything at camp except sleep, breakfast & dinner? We were gone all day long game viewing - we saw the 4 of the big 5 (there are no buffalo in Etosha) in the first 3 hours of game viewing one day - it was incredible. I would ignore all the naysayers who seem to expect 5 star facilities in the middle of the bush in Africa and visit the park - you will love it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbaleee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    I would have to agree with you. We saw the most game and the best game while camped at Namutomi and we gameviewed on every road in the park while we were there.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbaleee View Post
    I would have to agree with you. We saw the most game and the best game while camped at Namutomi and we gameviewed on every road in the park while we were there.
    Thank you to a fellow regular Etosha visitor

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

while we are on the topic ,anyone visited in december ,we are passing there onroute to the north ,and would like to camp there ,it will be mid december ,thanks.

alberto pereira
    Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
    while we are on the topic ,anyone visited in december ,we are passing there onroute to the north ,and would like to camp there ,it will be mid december ,thanks.
    Not quite sure about what you are asking, but yes we camped at both Halali and Okaukuejo in December. See my post 5 earlier. I stand by that.

On a side note, I always get amused when someone claims this or that loop or area or camp has the best game viewing as if set in stone. Surely game movement is pretty much seasonal and differs from year to year especially in an arid area, which Etosha is, for a large part of the year. Aside from that each person defines 'best game viewing' different.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/07/19 at 12:58 PM.
    Christa

31. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post: