Going off grid

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Going off grid

Default Going off grid

I am now going off grid as follows and in affordable steps:

1 x Pylon Li-Ion 48v 3.5kWh battery plus fittings, cables, accesories
    1 x Mecer 5kW 48v off grid inverter max PV Array 4500W
    Connected to my DB in garage this should give me a seamless transfer to battery power when loadshedding occurs.

Should pawpaw really hit fan with Eskom, i have a 8.5kva gennie to charge battery.

The above excludes 12 solar panels, to be added later, to get me completely off grid

Friends now required for donations lol

Total cost to date delivered but not installed R41k. Installation of above excl panels my est R1.5k

Panels will add another R33k

All of above being typed during loadshedding, must add i already gave gas stove and geyser
    Last edited by julius caesar; 2019/03/17 at 08:53 AM.
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to julius caesar For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Going off grid

Quote Originally Posted by julius caesar View Post
    I am now going off grid as follows and in affordable steps:

1 x Pylon Li-Ion 48v 3.5kWh battery plus fittings, cables, accesories
    1 x Mecer 5kW 48v off grid inverter max PV Array 4500W
    Connected to my DB in garage this should give me a seamless transfer to battery power when loadshedding occurs.

Should pawpaw really hit fan with Eskom, i have a 8.5kva gennie to charge battery.

The above excludes 12 solar panels, to be added later, to get me completely off grid

Friends now required for donations lol

Total cost to date delivered but not installed R41k. Installation of above excl panels my est R1.5k

Panels will add another R33k

All of above being typed during loadshedding, must add i already gave gas stove and geyser

Looks nice, but can I offer a few pointers.

-----------------------------------------
    The system appears a bit unbalanced. Very expensive batteries that may be an overkill coupled to a cheap inverter, designed to do only half the job.
    May I suggest you spend just a bit more and get an inverter that includes a grid tie circuit. A good option is the Aperts big prother from the same manufacturer InfiniSolar. This gives you payback from you Solar Panels investment.

Please view the attached Video, its really worthwhile to get your thoughts sorted.
    Note I am a very big fan of Axpert for the correct application, and I have installed quite a few of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6DVS8lLgjw

Have you confirmed that your Batteries and Inverter will talk to each other. Its not just a +ve and -ve connection, there is also a data link for the BMS
    ------------------------------------------
    Add one ZERO onto your installation costs.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2019/03/17 at 09:55 AM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Going off grid doesn't help when the economy collapses.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Going off grid doesn't help when the economy collapses.
    You could still be brewing beer though
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    You could still be brewing beer though
    nope

No barley supply
    No hops supply
    No yeast supply

I'd have to revert to umqomboti and mahangu.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Looks nice, but can I offer a few pointers.

The system appears a bit unbalanced. Very expensive batteries that may be an overkill coupled to a cheap inverter, designed to do only half the job.
    May I suggest you spend just a bit more and get an inverter that includes a grid tie circuit. A good option is the Aperts big prother from the same manufacturer InfiniSolar. This gives you payback from you Solar Panels investment.

Please view the attached Video, its really worthwhile to get your thoughts sorted.
    Note I am a very big fan of Axpert for the correct application, and I have installed quite a few of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6DVS8lLgjw

Have you confirmed that your Batteries and Inverter will talk to each other. Its not just a +ve and -ve connection, there is also a data link for the BMS
    ------------------------------------------
    Add one ZERO onto your installation costs.
    Fluffy, thanks for comments. Yes, battery (single unit) does talk to itself and more batteries linked to it, if added. It also talks to inverter. Battery does not allow overcharging and draining below specified level.

My requirements for power is basic, but you are correct in that i require more capacity, firstly during loadshedding initially, and after installation of solar panels, being totally off grid.

Your video is in line with my planning, i.e. the system has to be managed in that washing machine etc only be used during midday and that also includes pool pump, borehole pump etc. Gas geyser and stove help in this regard, already in place
    Last edited by julius caesar; 2019/03/17 at 05:41 PM.
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

10. The Following User Says Thank You to julius caesar For This Useful Post:

Hi

Be careful with the Mecer (or similar type) inverters, they have a V-0-V output (110Vac to earth and 220Vac phase to phase) this does not generate enough energy to operate earth leakage protection which will result in compliance and safety issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesie86 View Post
    Hi

Be careful with the Mecer (or similar type) inverters, they have a V-0-V output (110Vac to earth and 220Vac phase to phase) this does not generate enough energy to operate earth leakage protection which will result in compliance and safety issues.
    Is this not true for most UPS/Inverter/Gennys - a lot are operating as V-0-V connections.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2019/03/18 at 09:42 AM.

My only obstacle to going off grid is the cost.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    My only obstacle to going off grid is the cost.
    It would be an interesting topic if we can get people to share the batteries used and power generated with batteries that have lasted more than say 2.5 years. Short list of inverters used, battery make and model, average solar panels etc.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Is this not true for most UPS/Inverter/Gennys - a lot are operating as V-0-V connections.
    Yes

It would be an interesting topic if we can get people to share the batteries used and power generated with batteries that have lasted more than say 2.5 years. Short list of inverters used, battery make and model, average solar panels etc.
    indeed

Well, we just made the decision to take my wife's office off the grid. Luckily it is a standalone premises and there is enough space in the loft for batteries and enough north facing roof for panels.

Will start a thread on that later. So that the knowledgeable people can chime in before I go off at the wrong angle.
    Percivamus

Yes, and also indicate if the inverter is pure sine wave or modified/simulated sine wave...apparently some electronics don't like modified sine waves

My SonX AGM batteries are now four year old. Eight of 150Ah

First 3.5 yrs configured 24V on 1kW inverter.
    now configured 48V on 3kW inverter.

Previously on PWM controller...last six months on MPPT with logging function, so only that data available.

Off grid, and light load in the house. Never lower than 70% DOD (only used 30%, 70% left) watching that with a hawk eye

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

My SonX AGM batteries are now four year old. Eight of 150Ah

First 3.5 yrs configured 24V on 1kW inverter.
    now configured 48V on 3kW inverter.

Previously on PWM controller...last six months on MPPT with logging function, so only that data available.

Off grid, and light load in the house. Never lower than 70% DOD (only used 30%, 70% left) watching that with a hawk eye
    Li-On i look at has a 80% DOD, thus 20% usable range, with auto interassist between batteries and auto cut off at 80% with 6000 cycle but eish pricey at 3.5kwh @ R25k for single battery or R60k for 4 smaller 2000w units. 7 year supplier warranty plus another 3 years factory warranty.

Friend of mine has latter now for 2.5 years, running entire house off grid as well as 3phase in workshop, building a yacht. House looks like Sun City at night, security lights all over, running borehole into tanks and pressure pump for water taps. Totally off grid, sewage, water, power

Thus, it can be done. Will cost me R100k to install similar, with 12 solar panels included, but i ask myself, for much less i can have a silent diesel genny installed
    Last edited by julius caesar; 2019/03/18 at 05:49 PM.
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Thus, it can be done. Will cost me R100k to install similar, with 12 solar panels included, but i ask myself, for much less i can have a silent diesel genny installed
    That is so, and you are having a monthly expense linked to the foibles of the world

With total solar, no cost/m only an adjustment on how you manage your usage.

You have no idea how nice it is not too worry about power. Yes two cloudy days in a row can be an issue, curtail some usage and you are thru to the sunny days.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

That is so, and you are having a monthly expense linked to the foibles of the world

With total solar, no cost/m only an adjustment on how you manage your usage.

You have no idea how nice it is not too worry about power. Yes two cloudy days in a row can be an issue, curtail some usage and you are thru to the sunny days.
    I cannot agree more, but forking out R100k for off grid is a bit steep, taking into account i have already started by installing gas stove, gas geyser, water tanks, pressure pump etc.

Although Eskom imho is going to fail miserably soon, solar power or genny power is easy to come by, my worry, in my tiny mind warning sirens can be heard, water will be problem. Ever spent a few days without water? Cannot be done and ZA is polluting and wasting water at an incredible rate, sorry my old hobby horse
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to julius caesar For This Useful Post:

I cannot agree more, but forking out R100k for off grid is a bit steep, taking into account i have already started by installing gas stove, gas geyser, water tanks, pressure pump etc.

Although Eskom imho is going to fail miserably soon, solar power or genny power is easy to come by, my worry, in my tiny mind warning sirens can be heard, water will be problem. Ever spent a few days without water? Cannot be done and ZA is polluting and wasting water at an incredible rate, sorry my old hobby horse
    Agree on the water thing.
    I am self sufficient regarding water, our rainfall being such that in four years I have yet to suffer an empty rainwater tank. (17 500l of storage)

I am also closely involved with our water committee...we have 'n watersloot' that supplies water to the adjacent town and a couple of farms. We manage and record water for all concerned. But demand on this resource is growing,m by those who do not fully comprehend the history and finite quantity of this resource.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Agree on the water thing.
    I am self sufficient regarding water, our rainfall being such that in four years I have yet to suffer an empty rainwater tank. (17 500l of storage)

I am also closely involved with our water committee...we have 'n watersloot' that supplies water to the adjacent town and a couple of farms. We manage and record water for all concerned. But demand on this resource is growing,m by those who do not fully comprehend the history and finite quantity of this resource.
    I agree. Voting Farms are expanding at an exponential rate and the largest contributors to the Western Cape's water crysis.
    Many Karoo towns' water reserves cannot support the massive burden. Like tics sucking the life out of an animal!

Which chest freezer to get?
    Solar, gas, gas/ electric/ solar, are there gas/ compressor combinations available?
    Who can give advice?
    250L chest freezer preferred.
    Don't feed the monkeys!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast