Horned Baboon Spider

Default Horned Baboon Spider

If any body comes to Mokolodi in Botswana. Please bring me a tub of crickets from the pet store

https://youtu.be/cT1iSQFlKQU

2. The Following User Says Thank You to carlp For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Horned Baboon Spider

Now THAT is a proper spider
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

I see this "Kill" quite often and the speed and accuracy never stops amazing me I have one or 15 pet tarrantulas

All African spiders are old world spiders and though not lethal to man there are a few that can upset your day significantly and others that are downright aggressive. The horned or rather starburst horned baboon spider (Ceratogyrus Darlingi) is a beautiful species that is unfortunately high on the red data list. The distinctive horn projecting from their carapace makes them rather unique and a target for smugglers for the overseas pet trade. All baboon spiders are protected and in some provinces one may not even keep exotic tarantulas ie. western cape. Baboon spiders get their name from the last two segments of their legs that looks like a baboon finger from underneath. They are serious burrowing spiders that spend their days underground in their silk lined burrow.

If you are lucky enough to find one observe and enjoy the sighting but please leave well enough alone, they can be feisty and fast and although not life threatening their fangs can be up to 10mm long and can deliver a pants wetting bite ( hy sal jou byt dat jy knor)

For all the arachnophobes out there think about getting a sling (spiderling) and raise it, there is nothing more captivating than watching it hunt and moult and turning in to a biig tarantula

New world Chaco Gold Knee. No we have never been bitten spiders don't eat humans. For the ones screaming like girls and calling for their execution ...... grow a pair

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181115_123509.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	522595
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

One of our locals. I've tried to convince most of my neighbors to call me when they find one, I'll relocate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

I have about 10 burrows in my yard with these guys keeping watch at the entrance every evening. This particular one comes out into the open and waits for prey rather than stick its legs out of its burrow entrance as in the image like some of the other ones.

I did have a moer of a big one in october and november. Never saw such a big spider even in a pet store. The power of that beast was amazing. Had a big fright every time I tickled it out of its burrow with a twig it would slam the twig so hard its crazy