Loadbox charging

Default Loadbox charging

Hi I want to charge my xtra battery.
    If I run a wire from my engine bay battery to my loadbox and attach a bh plug to it.
    What do I need to charge my battery and prevent my xtra battery from draining my cranking battery.
    Please help I am clueless.

Default Re: Loadbox charging

You will need some sort of protection in the form of a DC-DC charger or a solenoid system.
    Please share your requirements, such as loads on the 2nd battery, application - camping for x days, overlanding etc. It will determine your system design.
    Did you have a look at the Sticky called 'Electrickery for camping'? It will have all your questions answered..

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Subok For This Useful Post:

Last edited by Subok; 2019/03/15 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Duplicate

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

Will be mostly for running fridge while driving but also if needed to camp for weekend running fridge and x2 lights.

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Check the temperature limitations of he DC.-DC charger if you are planning to use it in the bin or engine bay.
    I lost one due to overheating in the loadbin. Even with two cooling fans it did not make it.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Indeed! It gave me the confidence to do my own installation. I went for the NL DC-DC and Bat box. Why do you need confidence? In the end it may be a straight forward job, but do it wrong, that very expensive vehicle of yours may go up in flames. Or you may be left stranded with warm beer
    Why did I do it myself? For the enjoyment of the project and satisfaction a well done job gives me.

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Indeed! It gave me the confidence to do my own installation. I went for the NL DC-DC and Bat box. Why do you need confidence? In the end it may be a straight forward job, but do it wrong, that very expensive vehicle of yours may go up in flames. Or you may be left stranded with warm beer
    Why did I do it myself? For the enjoyment of the project and satisfaction a well done job gives me.
    Hi please give me a detailed discription what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbike View Post
    Hi please give me a detailed discription what you did.
    So simple, it is actually embarrassing:
    • 16mm pos and neg cables from start battery to load bin. Pos 30 amp fused at battery.
    • Routed in a sleave underneath vehicle, making sure there is no opportunity for pinching/chafing/ hooking or heating from exhaust.
    • Connected to a NL DC/DC 25 Charger. Charger also connected to Ignition as per instructions and temperature sensor connected to aux battery as per instructions. The NL instructions are VERY clear and easy to follow.
    • I bought the special at Outdoor Warehouse during Dec, so I also got the NL monitor. That was actually the most difficult part to install, since that cable was a bit short to follow the easiest rout, so I had to take out the back seats and console to do a straight line installation to the dash. Apparently you do get a longer cable but I believe that would have been too long. I do not like meters of winded cable in my vehicle. I would HIGHLY recommend getting that monitor - it gives you certainty about the condition of the charging system as well as of the batteries. (If you get any other brand - also try to get one with a monitor it is really not negotiable)
    • DC/DC charger connected to NL Auxcillaiary Battery box with 16mm cable, Pos again fused 30 amp. Charger and Bat box within 50 cm from each other.
    • Used a 105 amp/h Discoverer Calsium deep cycle battery

The system is also solar ready, which will follow shortly by means of two 80W panels.

At the moment I am running a 56l Snowmaster freezer and a few 12 v led lights and other smaller stuff from the system.

If you want to do it yourself - get a proper crimping tool.
    Enjoy!!

Thanks to Elders, Fluffy, Eggie, SarelF and ALL the others that did the Thread on this.
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2019/03/17 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Why did I do it myself? For the enjoyment of the project and satisfaction a well-done job gives me.
    Why did I do it myself? Because if things go wrong in the bush you know exactly what's going on with your system.
    Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2019/03/18 at 07:30 AM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post: