Pothole Damage Question_Lydenburg

Default Pothole Damage Question_Lydenburg

Hi. We took the R540 from Belfast to Lydenburg last weekend to visit my parents that lives in Lydenburg. The R540 is a potholed
    disaster. The speed limit is 100km/h, but I drove 80km/h to dodge the potholes. Some potholes was more than 1.5m wide,
    and easily 300mm deep.

I was however amazed at the amount of drivers in bakkies that just simply drive on that road as if it is the N1 in Midrand. They show
    absolutely no mechanical empathy.

I drive a 2013 Mazda BT50 with R17 wheels and all-terrain tyres, and I felt very sorry for it when I hit even a minor pothole.

Now my question is: am I taking it too serious? Can a modern bakkie or SUV actually drive through a 300mm deep hole with sharp edges
    at 140km/h without any damage?
    'Unless you are a pregnancy test,...take your negativity elsewhere.'

2013 Mazda BT-50 3.2

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HotWheels For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pothole Damage Question_Lydenburg

I suppose with an increase in speed and momentum, the dwell time over or in a pothole decreases. If thats the case, then the depth and sharp edges could be negated and it would make sense to fly over them as opposed to drive into them.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2009 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

I avoid potholes to prevent damage to the tyres but there is a more important reason - hitting a bump or dent at speed with a Defender causes havoc in your underpants
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

6. The Following User Says Thank You to albertvl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    I avoid potholes to prevent damage to the tyres but there is a more important reason - hitting a bump or dent at speed with a Defender causes havoc in your underpants
    I suspect your suspension may be due for replacement😁

Back to the op. I drive lot, and can't always afford to go extra slowly on bad roads. I do think the vast majority of people that are unfamiliar take an extra cautios approach to bad roads.

Good tires and good suspension can handle a lot. You will obviously wear out your control arm bushes etc etc faster, but you need to decide how much your time is worth as well.

The specific section of road you are referring to is particularly bad, but I still comfortably do it at an average of 100/110kmh

Suspension is old but the shocks are fairly new. The big shocker is to hit a bump at speed with a SFA. It wobbles ...
    Defender 2.8i

I drive from Jo'burg to Zim every month... and it's a question of luck. At some point you're gonna hit a pothole that shreds a tyre. Or you'll hit one so hard you'll damage a rim. If you're using road tyres, this'll happen sooner. I've lost count of how many tyres I've had to replace. They can sneak up on you.
    When you drive for work, you look for the good roads.

The trick is bigger the tyre, the easier it is to get over the holes.

and yes at speed you don't hit the bottom of the pot hole. go fast!!

I was taught never brake at the last second just before the pot hole, as it throws the weight forward and down into the hole, if you do - release the brakes just before hitting the hole. Best is to accelerate over the pothole to throw your weight backwards. especially when you have loaded vehicle.

With a motorbike you can fly over a hole at speed as big and deep as a grave (short side - not the length). but if you brake-- the front tyre drops in and you will summersault. With a bike and practice you can get over a deep ditch without any problems, a 4x4 is just too heavy.
    Last edited by K-9; 2019/05/24 at 11:30 AM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

Problem with the Lydenburg potholes are that they're so big even trucks have to avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    A Defender at speed? But i suppose it is relative.....
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    A Defender at speed? But i suppose it is relative.....
    Mine is perfectly capable of doing 160km/h. One just pray at that speed that there aren't any turns or stops ahead
    Defender 2.8i

I suppose road conditions are relative. I happily drive regularly and tow caravan on that road, actually did it the week the OP posted, for me that road is perfectly fine. In-laws refuse to travel it. Did around 100 with the van in tow, could remember one bad pothole, not NEARLY as big as the one on Corobrick road in front of Builders in Edendale.
    Wynand
    2005 Discovery 3 HSE v8
    2002 Discovery II XS v8 (sold)
    1974 Chev K 25 (julle dink 'n v8 is dors)
    Land Rover - making mechanics from motorists since 1947 and electronic engineers since 1989!

They resurfaced that road in front of Builders this past week..
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Cool, it means I can go to Makro and Builders again during lunch, I work around the corner but was in Isando at clients last week.https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ilies/grin.gif
    Wynand
    2005 Discovery 3 HSE v8
    2002 Discovery II XS v8 (sold)
    1974 Chev K 25 (julle dink 'n v8 is dors)
    Land Rover - making mechanics from motorists since 1947 and electronic engineers since 1989!