Impact of camping with a tent





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Meyerton
    Age
    40
    Posts
    877

    Default Impact of camping with a tent

    This weekend we went "glamping" at RuahPark. Naturally I brought my trailer while the rest all had tents.
    After 3 days we packed up, and this is what I saw.


    (the big block of yellow gras is a tent, the three small spots my trailer)

    It was clear that after 3 days my trailer yellowed less grass than the tent. While that grass will recover after 2-3 days, in the holiday times that spot might not get enough time to recover and ultimately the grass will die.

    Tha made me wonder, do we ever consider the impact our camping activities have on the environment?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,821

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    Are you suggesting we all buy trailers?
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    I think you can relax - the planting of that lawn has probably left a bigger impact on the original environment than your tent on the "artificial" one.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,600

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    was the tent used with or without shade netting ground sheet?

    or was a pvc one used or tent straight onto the grass.

    I always lay down my shade net ground sheet and after weekend camp the grass does not look that bad

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Meyerton
    Age
    40
    Posts
    877

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Are you suggesting we all buy trailers?
    No, I'm sharing my thoughts. I've never really thought about it until we packed up that morning and saw th difference.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Meyerton
    Age
    40
    Posts
    877

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    I think you can relax - the planting of that lawn has probably left a bigger impact on the original environment than your tent on the "artificial" one.
    True that.

    I was nice to have the lawn there though. I never even put down the netting under the trailer. Everywhere else we have been there had been a dead spot and putting the netting down prevents you from waking in mud when it rains.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Meyerton
    Age
    40
    Posts
    877

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    was the tent used with or without shade netting ground sheet?

    or was a pvc one used or tent straight onto the grass.

    I always lay down my shade net ground sheet and after weekend camp the grass does not look that bad
    Yes. Straight to the ground, no netting.

    Why does it make it difference though?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,969

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    Quote Originally Posted by boanergesza1 View Post
    Yes. Straight to the ground, no netting.

    Why does it make it difference though?

    netting allows for the grass to breath ..
    driving there with your trailer caused more damage to the environment though

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    538

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    My gawd...give me a few minutes....I'll start a silly thread soon
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------
    Swart Tires wat ek self gekoop het
    Pull over wat my ouma gebrei het
    Vensters waar deur ek kan sien
    Engine voor
    Exhaust agter

  10. #10

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    Quote Originally Posted by D-tox View Post
    netting allows for the grass to breath ..
    I honestly thought that was sort of common knowledge. Some places specify 'no solid ground sheets' for this exact reason.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,341

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    Those nets only help for a short stint of 2-3 days maybe.

    Two Decembers ago we camped for 10 days with such a net. Grass looked exactly the same.

    Sunlight is obviously also needed.
    Last edited by Die SwartKat; 2019/03/13 at 08:57 AM.
    Nico Swart

    Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

    One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,340

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    Those nets only help for a short stint of 2-3 days maybe.

    Two Decembers ago we camped for 10 days with such a net. Grass looked exactly the same.

    Sunlight is obviously also needed.
    And, if you hadn't used it - the grass would have looked worse.
    Gavin

  13. #13

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post

    Sunlight is obviously also needed.
    True.

    Best is just to go camping far from places that has grassed campsites, especially December. Sand or bare ground does not mind much 8)
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    1,071

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    I honestly thought that was sort of common knowledge. Some places specify 'no solid ground sheets' for this exact reason.
    Two different scenarios:
    1 - knitted ‘shade net’ type of ground sheet vs solid ground sheet
    2 - tent with a built-in solid ground sheet with or without a knitted ‘shade net’ ground sheet underneath

  15. #15

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    Two different scenarios:
    1 - knitted ‘shade net’ type of ground sheet vs solid ground sheet
    2 - tent with a built-in solid ground sheet with or without a knitted ‘shade net’ ground sheet underneath
    Is tent with build in solid ground sheet directly on grass not pretty much the same as tent on solid ground sheet?
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    1,071

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Is tent with build in solid ground sheet directly on grass not pretty much the same as tent on solid ground sheet?
    I don’t understand what you are saying

    The issue is if it makes a difference to place a knitted ground sheet under a unibody tent with solid ground sheet
    Last edited by SAND; 2019/03/13 at 09:12 AM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    4,194

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    That is why some campsites restrict the use of solid bottom tents. The reality however that such "damage" is collateral damage and part of the campsite offering. If we worry about every grass leaf and bug we shouldn't be driving or walking at all.
    Last edited by George; 2019/03/13 at 09:25 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,053

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    I think you guys are missing the OP's point (that's if I understand it correctly.)

    The OP is saying that in both instances, i.e. the ground tent AND the trailer tent both had solid ground sheets and he was wondering what the cause of the difference to the grass was. In other words, why would the solid sheet of the trailer tent not effect the grass like it did with the ground tent.

    And I think I know the answer. Grass (and particularly weeds) are heat sensitive, and my guess is that the heat in the ground tent was higher than the heat in the trailer tent, either because of the increased height or possibly additional fly sheet or more reflective material on the trailer tent. Maybe some venting also played its part.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jhb
    Age
    41
    Posts
    303

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    Quote Originally Posted by boanergesza1 View Post
    This weekend we went "glamping" at RuahPark. Naturally I brought my trailer while the rest all had tents.
    After 3 days we packed up, and this is what I saw.


    (the big block of yellow gras is a tent, the three small spots my trailer)

    It was clear that after 3 days my trailer yellowed less grass than the tent. While that grass will recover after 2-3 days, in the holiday times that spot might not get enough time to recover and ultimately the grass will die.

    Tha made me wonder, do we ever consider the impact our camping activities have on the environment?
    Sorry for going off topic and possibly derailing the thread. How was Ruah Park?
    Bruce

    2010 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0D4D
    Bushlapa Miskruier BL15

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Meyerton
    Age
    40
    Posts
    877

    Default Re: Impact of camping with a tent

    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    I think you guys are missing the OP's point (that's if I understand it correctly.)

    The OP is saying that in both instances, i.e. the ground tent AND the trailer tent both had solid ground sheets and he was wondering what the cause of the difference to the grass was. In other words, why would the solid sheet of the trailer tent not effect the grass like it did with the ground tent.

    And I think I know the answer. Grass (and particularly weeds) are heat sensitive, and my guess is that the heat in the ground tent was higher than the heat in the trailer tent, either because of the increased height or possibly additional fly sheet or more reflective material on the trailer tent. Maybe some venting also played its part.
    No. The trailers tent is on top of lid, the "normal" tent was on the ground. There wasn't any netting on either. The trailer by virtue of on having three wheels and tip-over bar on the ground left a smaller "dead grass patch" than the tent.

    But as others have mentioned by towing my 1.5t trailer and bakkie full of stuff there, the impact of having a tent on the ground killing grass vs trailer not killing grass is really moot.

    I like you ur heat and air movement thought though. I seem to remeber there were soccer pitches designed to be moved out of the stadium so they can get air.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •