Alucab Expedition Gen 3 RTT Question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Alucab Expedition Gen 3 RTT Question

Gents (and ladies),

for those in the know, I have a question about the Alucab Gen 3 Expedition tent. Does it need to be mounted ontop of a roof rack? I have a FR roof rack and think it would be a better/ sleeker/ lower profile fitment if its mounted directly to the FR rails.

(Subnote, How I wish this 4Runner would come to South Africa. This is probably the only vehicle that would make me brand-move)
    Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Eeziawn RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DETOUR-GP For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Alucab Expedition Gen 3 RTT Question

Hi Detour - GP

Had mine fitted by 4x4 Mega World. Alu cab supplied the roof mounting brackets +_ R1500. The tent is approximately 100mm above your car roof.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Larold.
    In Dog Beers, I've only had one.

Quote Originally Posted by Larold View Post
    Hi Detour - GP

Had mine fitted by 4x4 Mega World. Alu cab supplied the roof mounting brackets +_ R1500. The tent is approximately 100mm above your car roof.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Larold.
    Thanks so much Larold. Any chance you could share a photo or 2 of the installation?
    Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Eeziawn RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2515.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	340.4 KB 
ID:	522025

Not sure about re-sizing.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larold For This Useful Post:

Thanks for this thread. I am deciding whether to go for the Alucab or IKamper on my Fortuner. However a supplier is trying to sell me a roofrack he says is required, but as your picture shows Larold, this is not the case.

thx

Quote Originally Posted by bobscratchit View Post
    Thanks for this thread. I am deciding whether to go for the Alucab or IKamper on my Fortuner. However a supplier is trying to sell me a roofrack he says is required, but as your picture shows Larold, this is not the case.

thx
    The only issue i have with the iKamper is that you cannot fit a 270 to it due to the way it opens to the side and I cannot live without my 270....

The photo below shows this tent fitted direct to Front Runner RR rails without those brackets... but I cannot find a larger image to confirm if thats the case or not. They also look like the brackets mentioned below

A well known overlander called Basil has done a pretty awesome review on the tent fitted to his FJ - https://www.basillynch.com/new-blog/...dition-iii-rtt

Below is the funny bracket i mentioned earlier, I fear it may be a bit flimsy?

Last edited by DETOUR-GP; 2019/03/12 at 11:58 AM.
    Rob,

@ Bobscratchit. They removed the hand rail off the Prado's roof and inserted a flat bracket that fits in the old rail housing. This bit of kit is about R1500. I unbolt four nuts to remove the tent. Car won't go through the garage-door otherwise.

I am wondering about the 270 aswell. Have nothing on my roof atm, love the attachments of Ikamper as well as its size for broad people, but also like the ability to attach solar panels to roof.

Decisions....decisions....decisions

I am wondering about the 270 aswell. Have nothing on my roof atm, love the attachments of Ikamper as well as its size for broad people, but also like the ability to attach solar panels to roof.

haha, i was there too... Ive decided to go for the Alucab tent... now just want the sleekest way to mount it
    Rob,

The latest info sent from Alucab directs me to 4x4MEGAWORLD as the nearest fitment centre who again insist on fitting a roofrack first. BUT WHY??

Seems like just another R10k to me.

Yeah that seems to be business driven.

Ill buy the tent without fitment and figure out a way to mount it without the rack on the rails.
    Rob,

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DETOUR-GP For This Useful Post:

I have a Pradi 150, 2011 model

Alucab RTT fitted by 4x4megaworld - who insisted on REMOVING my roofrack and installed loading bars, as "apparently" it's built exactly for the Alucab loading bars. Thats how it works you know

Suited me as I wanted a lower profile to get into my garage. On top of the loading bars, they fit a spacer of about 4cm (?) which was too high for me, so replaced this with a flatter (non alucab) spacer. RTT is very close to the roof, but noticeably better on the road than before we removed the higher spacers.
    Fiddler

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    I have a Pradi 150, 2011 model

Alucab RTT fitted by 4x4megaworld - who insisted on REMOVING my roofrack and installed loading bars, as "apparently" it's built exactly for the Alucab loading bars. Thats how it works you know

Suited me as I wanted a lower profile to get into my garage. On top of the loading bars, they fit a spacer of about 4cm (?) which was too high for me, so replaced this with a flatter (non alucab) spacer. RTT is very close to the roof, but noticeably better on the road than before we removed the higher spacers.
    Any chance you can share some photos with us on how its mounted etc?
    Rob,

Yes please, some photos would be great because I dont want a roofrack!!! All is pointing towards the Ikamper presently, seems to suit me more.

Thanks EHoffmann

I searched on google for a pic so you could het an idea what the spacer looks like. The ones I had was black - and perhaps not quite as high? I really cant be 100% sure.

the other pics shows my set up. The new spacer is roughly 10mm thick - aluminium, wholes drilled so it could fit in the place of the Alucab spacer. Let me know if you need other info.

I took my front runner roof rack off - and sold it here on the forum when I got this set up.

Prices quoted earlier on in this thread sounds right for the loading bars etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alucab1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	304.5 KB 
ID:	522645   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alucab2.jpg 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	522646   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alucab3.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	522647  
    Last edited by EHoffmann; 2019/03/17 at 05:17 PM.
    Fiddler

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    I searched on google for a pic so you could het an idea what the spacer looks like. The ones I had was black - and perhaps not quite as high? I really cant be 100% sure.

the other pics shows my set up. The new spacer is roughly 10mm thick - aluminium, wholes drilled so it could fit in the place of the Alucab spacer. Let me know if you need other info.

I took my front runner roof rack off - and sold it here on the forum when I got this set up.

Prices quoted earlier on in this thread sounds right for the loading bars etc.
    Thanks so much for the photos, can certainly see why you needed a lower profile - thats a really tight fit!!!!!!!!!!! Seems like its an all systems go in terms of fitting the tent without a roof rack and maintaining a low profile.

Question, whats the wind noise like in comparison to an empty Front Runner roof rack? Do those cross bars create a wind vortex of sorts?

Secondly, I'm thinking of further modding the tent to add that Front Runner Stainless Steel table with bracket under the tent - do you think this is feasible?
    Rob,

Quote Originally Posted by DETOUR-GP View Post
    Thanks so much for the photos, can certainly see why you needed a lower profile - thats a really tight fit!!!!!!!!!!! Seems like its an all systems go in terms of fitting the tent without a roof rack and maintaining a low profile.

Question, whats the wind noise like in comparison to an empty Front Runner roof rack? Do those cross bars create a wind vortex of sorts?

Secondly, I'm thinking of further modding the tent to add that Front Runner Stainless Steel table with bracket under the tent - do you think this is feasible?
    Okey it does look a bit tighter than it really is my problem is the hight of the door opening- I have less than a 2cm clearance on entry.

I found a noticeable difference when I took the RR off and added the RTT on high blocks. (much more drag)
    Again a noticeable difference when changing to lower blocks. (much less drag)
    But I cant honestly compare between stage 1 and 3. I don't remember.
    I drive with my RTT on the top permanently - and I am so unaware of the extra drag, that I forget it's there. My garage door can vouch for me.

Regarding a table/solar etc - with my low profile I cant get a sheet of paper in - so I cant help you there either - I am sore someone else will have experience on that subject.
    Fiddler

Hi There,
    Just a note that the iKamper can be fitted in combination with a 270 awning, you will just need to use a spacer bracket for the awning. please see the pic below. Also if you want a 270 awning you will need a rack to attach it too.

Name:	pic1.jpg 
Size:	693.6 KB 
ID:	522755
    Ford Ranger 3.2
    Jurgens XT Trooper 4X

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaaks105 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaaks105 View Post
    Hi There,
    Just a note that the iKamper can be fitted in combination with a 270 awning, you will just need to use a spacer bracket for the awning. please see the pic below. Also if you want a 270 awning you will need a rack to attach it too.

Name:	pic1.jpg 
Size:	693.6 KB 
ID:	522755
    Thanks for the photo and clarification.

Any chance you can share a straight up front or view from the rear? I fear that the tent will need to be lob sided heavily or that awning will stick out a lot?
    Rob,

Quote Originally Posted by DETOUR-GP View Post
    Thanks for the photo and clarification.

Any chance you can share a straight up front or view from the rear? I fear that the tent will need to be lob sided heavily or that awning will stick out a lot?

No problem let me see what I can find but you will be correct the tent will need to be slightly off to one side and I think his was but it really didn't look bad at all
    Ford Ranger 3.2
    Jurgens XT Trooper 4X

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast