Day trip to Savuti from Linyanti?

Question Day trip to Savuti from Linyanti?

Hi everyone,

Due to lack of availability elsewhere I managed to get 4 nights at Linyanti in April. I'm actually quite excited about this as we've never been before and I believe its a beautiful area.

My question... Is it feasible to do a day trip to Savuti from Linyanti and back? Its just SWAMBO and I so don't mind a long day. Just curious to hear from those that know the area well.

Thanks in advance...!

PS... Id also appreciate any input on good butchery etc in Kasane for supplies on the way in?
    Chris
    Land Cruiser 105 GX EFi
    LC Prado VX KZTE (Sold)

Default Re: Day trip to Savuti from Linyanti?

Feasible not so sure if early April it could be wet but sure it is doable but a long day. Sightings along the route could be bland but around Savute it is great. I suggest that you speak to the wardens when there to get the best advice.

Good meat from Ronís, Choppies or Shoprite in Kasane.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
    Hi everyone,

Due to lack of availability elsewhere I managed to get 4 nights at Linyanti in April. I'm actually quite excited about this as we've never been before and I believe its a beautiful area.

My question... Is it feasible to do a day trip to Savuti from Linyanti and back? Its just SWAMBO and I so don't mind a long day. Just curious to hear from those that know the area well.

Thanks in advance...!

PS... Id also appreciate any input on good butchery etc in Kasane for supplies on the way in?
    The sand between Linyanti and Savute is quite thick. It took us four hours one way. That was in April.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Yes - you can do it no sweat but you will only have a couple of hours to game view in Savuti area (maybe head to Harvey's Pan its not far and good sightings) before you will have to head back in time to get through the gate before sunset. We did it last year - the sand is THICK in some parts several k's of thick, deep sand (and not much game at all) but you should be ok in your LC. Don't leave anything out when u leave Linyanti - between the baboons and the mice, you may have nothing left :-). Linyanti is beautiful - have an awesome trip.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbaleee For This Useful Post:

You could. IF you took the shorter direct route which is more sandy, you can do it in 3-3.5hours which is what I did. However, think about your fuel consumption if you are going to do this more than once and back. You still need enough fuel to get out South via Savuti (long drive) or East to Chobe. Your nearest fuel stops are farrrrrr away.

Linyati is beautiful and tranquil but not much in terms of game drives and then plenty of elephants.

You can do a round trip by heading out direction West from the camp and follow the cut-line South until you reach the Savuti channel.
    Just before there is a well worn track following the Savuti channel all the way to Savuti camp site.
    There is only on critical ascent over a dune about 10 kms before reaching Savuti.

A beautiful area with very little traffic and potentially good sightings.

This route joins the direct track Linyanti - Savuti shortly 2-3 kms before the camp comes into view.
    After game viewing then return either via direct (sandy) track or through Ghoha gate and the fire break.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

You can do, but you will have to work for it, the sand. I would suggest you leave early as soon as the park opens at 0600, carry packed lunch. The Ghoha hills lodge guys conduct day trip to the Marsh and its working. I know the route conditions might be different, BUT just to give an idea. Normally April is not bad, you might get some showers, that would make driving the sandy tracks better. This was the case this week, we received some showers, and the routes improved tremendously sand wise. And the other thing, you have to plan you game drives around Savuti, where you going to go, because its not like you get to Savuti, and see everything. You have to avoid going deep down the Marsh, were you will be temped and fail to return on time.

VW AMAROK BITURBO TDI 4MOTION

I agree that you are planning to do too much, take it easy and enjoy your surrounds. Sure with a RTT you need to break camp most days but the difference is that you do so to do game drives around your base camp sites, if selected properly, where most of the action is and not to hurry on to the next campsite.

The campsites were originally situated in areas where one will have the best chance of experiencing what each area has to offer to the fullest. To really enjoy overlanding with the family I normally plan for 2 full days (minimum) meaning 3 nights except for days when transiting.

Thank you all very much for your input... it does help.

I like the idea of doing the round trip... i was actually going to ask about the feasibility of the cut line that head due south to the west of Linyanti and then follow the channel for a bit.

We have 3 full days at Linyanti so would only drive to Savuti once, the other days we'll explore what we can around Linyanti and chill as much as possible.

Fuel calcs should allow us 1 trip to Savuti safely and then back to Kasane...
    Chris
    Land Cruiser 105 GX EFi
    LC Prado VX KZTE (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
    Thank you all very much for your input... it does help.

I like the idea of doing the round trip... i was actually going to ask about the feasibility of the cut line that head due south to the west of Linyanti and then follow the channel for a bit.

We have 3 full days at Linyanti so would only drive to Savuti once, the other days we'll explore what we can around Linyanti and chill as much as possible.

Fuel calcs should allow us 1 trip to Savuti safely and then back to Kasane...
    This is definitely a worth the while trip.
    The cut line is fairly straightforward with some sandy patches , the track leading along the Savuti channel is very scenic and lots of wildlife when there is water flowing.

There is only one obstacle, a sandy climb onto a dune about 15 kms from the Savuti camp.

Go and do it
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    This is definitely a worth the while trip.
    The cut line is fairly straightforward with some sandy patches , the track leading along the Savuti channel is very scenic and lots of wildlife when there is water flowing.

There is only one obstacle, a sandy climb onto a dune about 15 kms from the Savuti camp.

Go and do it
    Would that be the Magwikwe sand ridge?
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    Would that be the Magwikwe sand ridge?
    It is, you have to cross it just after the Savuti camp on the direct way to Linyanti and the ascent this side is quite hectic if you are towing.
    On top then a stretch of loose sand before you turn left towards the channel at the first y-junction.
    Then after about 2 kms you descend to water level and stay there.

This is the description from the Savuti side, but don't mistake the first fire break access which ends at 90 deg to the channel just after the lodges and is a dead end if you don't ant to ris the water crossing and return back to the camps.
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

We did this trip in one day, with time to spare, but other way round. We were 4 vehicles in the group, with one Ausie not that good with sand driving. We did the short sandy route up and down. We had a picnic at Linyanti for about 3 hours before we headed back to Savuti. And yes, Linyanti is beautiful with lots of elephants, one scratched by FILís discovery witth its tusk. Only a small scratch though. The pan just north of Savuti is normally a good game viewing area. Enjoy the trip

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bassfisher For This Useful Post: