300TDi rebuild mistakes. I hope this may help someone - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: 300TDi rebuild mistakes. I hope this may help someone

I did some reading up before I did my"P gasket". The metal one is recommended but all surfaces must be clean and there should be a thin layer of sealant applied to both surfaces.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind²)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

Trust the P Gasket to generate debate. I'm pretty convinced though on my motor it's the Welch Plug dripping slowly under pressure because the coolant only starts to show 3/4's of the way down the front of the block not under the P Gasket.
    I'll do it tomorrow. It's bloody humid here today and I'm all sweated out.
    Last edited by Peppercorn; 2019/03/13 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peppercorn View Post
    Trust the P Gasket to generate debate. I'm pretty convinced though on my motor it's the Welch Plug dripping slowly under pressure because the coolant only starts to show 3/4's of the way down the front of the block not under the P Gasket.
    I'll do it tomorrow. It's bloody humid here today and I'm all sweated out.
    Hi Peppercorn

leaking so far down, most probably the welch plug. Good luck, it is a sh#t job
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hgbosch For This Useful Post:

Did you use the all metal gasket or the paper one??

There seems to be 2 trains of thought on this one. Some refuse the metal gasket and will only use the paper one whereas the metal one makes more sense to me in the long run.
    Hi Peppercorn

the paper gasket. It will only develop a leak again if one of the mating surfaces is warped (waterpump housing).
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hgbosch For This Useful Post:

Well, I was right, it was the Welch Plug leaking and not the P Gasket. Easy enough job to remove the housing and get to everything I needed to.
    Waiting on parts now.
    Do you know I replaced 4 x Welch Plugs when I had the engine out and I cleaned up the cavities really well, using a wire brush on a drill. I smeared the Plugs with Permatex and made sure they were all inserted evenly and all 4 of them leaked. Not badly but annoyingly dripping under pressure.

I removed the 3 on the side of the motor earlier in the week and replaced them using Stag and allowed the Stag to set overnight before filling the engine with coolant and they are all fine now.
    This is the last one leaking so, I'll get the Stag out tomorrow and seal the bloody thing.

HGBosch, I'm surprised you chose the paper gasket. I use the metal one with a smear on both sides of the gasket compound that LR uses for a sump gasket on the TDi's.

Never had an issue providing you pull it down evenly when tightening the housing down. I've heard those paper ones can give way over time as they go hard and brittle.
    Last edited by Peppercorn; 2019/03/14 at 10:38 AM.

Well, I was right, it was the Welch Plug leaking and not the P Gasket. Easy enough job to remove the housing and get to everything I needed to.
    Waiting on parts now.
    Do you know I replaced 4 x Welch Plugs when I had the engine out and I cleaned up the cavities really well, using a wire brush on a drill. I smeared the Plugs with Permatex and made sure they were all inserted evenly and all 4 of them leaked. Not badly but annoyingly dripping under pressure.

I removed the 3 on the side of the motor earlier in the week and replaced them using Stag and allowed the Stag to set overnight before filling the engine with coolant and they are all fine now.
    This is the last one leaking so, I'll get the Stag out tomorrow and seal the bloody thing.

HGBosch, I'm surprised you chose the paper gasket. I use the metal one with a smear on both sides of the gasket compound that LR uses for a sump gasket on the TDi's.

Never had an issue providing you pull it down evenly when tightening the housing down. I've heard those paper ones can give way over time as they go hard and brittle.
    Hi Peppercorn

remember it was a weekend job and I had the paper gasket in stock. I only work with torque wrenches on engines. for the small stuff 2Nm - 25Nm I use a Hazet one, which has served me well for many years now. Had it checked last year and was still within spec.

https://www.amazon.de/Drehmoment-Sch.../dp/B001C9XJ7O

Flippin expensive to buy but Hazet quality does not come cheap.
    George Bosch

Distributor for:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hgbosch For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hgbosch View Post
    Hi Peppercorn

remember it was a weekend job and I had the paper gasket in stock. I only work with torque wrenches on engines. for the small stuff 2Nm - 25Nm I use a Hazet one, which has served me well for many years now. Had it checked last year and was still within spec.

https://www.amazon.de/Drehmoment-Sch.../dp/B001C9XJ7O

Flippin expensive to buy but Hazet quality does not come cheap.
    Hi George,

May I ask where you had it checked / calibrated.

I have a feeling my wrench is out and want to get it checked.

Sorry for the thread Hijack

Quote Originally Posted by nedge View Post
    Hi George,

May I ask where you had it checked / calibrated.

I have a feeling my wrench is out and want to get it checked.

Sorry for the thread Hijack
    Hi Nedge

at the importers in Switzerland. Here in SA contact the Distributors for Hazet, they should be able to assist you.

Good luck!

George
    George Bosch

Distributor for:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hgbosch For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2