Ethiopian Airlines Crash

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default Ethiopian Airlines Crash

Flight ET302 crashes 6 minutes after take off this morning. The same aircraft left OR Tambo at 23h35 last night and arrived safely in Addis Ababa this morning just after 5am Addis time. Was turned around for the Nairobi flight.

This same aircraft over ran the runway at Entebbe Airport in Uganda a few weeks ago.

Condolences to all family members of those on board.
    Last edited by Caracal; 2019/03/10 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD6 D/Cab 4x4

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Ethiopian Airlines Crash

Only about 4 months old.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Only about 4 months old.
    Yep, delivered to the airline in October 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    Yep, delivered to the airline in October 2018
    Second one actually. Didn’t a 737 nose dive as well?
    Last edited by Rebel 4x4; 2019/03/10 at 02:00 PM.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    ...Was turned around for the Nairobi flight...
    What is this about?
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 220 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluCowboy View Post
    What is this about?
    Meaning plane was cleaned and refueled for the flight to Nairobi. Usually called the “turn around” when a plane lands then made ready to fly to its next destination. Not a fundi, but heard the term used alot by pilots and crew members before

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

It could have been anything, although I'm sure there's a lot of speculation already. I hope the facts will be known soon.

Swambo and I have flown with them a few times. Whatever the case, we are likely fly back to SA with them in a few months time, mostly because we want to see the new airport, but also because of the level of service.

In Dec 2016 we landed late in Addis on route from Brussels to Johannesburg. Instead of shuttling us from the plane to the (old, cramped and slow) terminal, they bussed all passengers with connecting flights direct to the waiting planes, or we would have missed our onward flights. We watched our luggage in the little train thingy follow next to the bus. We arrived in JNB on time. Do things like this once and you score major points with passengers like us. I have to wonder how many airports/airlines would do this?

And yes, I think it's safe to say air travel is till one of the safest modes of transport. It might seem otherwise because of all the media attention plane crashes get.
    Only 2 things are infinite: The universe, and human stupidity. But I'm not sure about the universe. - A.E.

1998 Defender 90 TDi 300 for Africa.
    2014 Ford Fiesta 1L EcoBoost petrol for Europe.

Swambo and I have a little travel blog, with a focus on Africa: https://www.thetravellingchilli.com

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naes-Landy For This Useful Post:

Some interesting vertical speed info on Sam Chui's site.

https://samchui.com/2019/03/10/ethio.../#.XIUC2bnRaDY

737 MAX. We will see what was the cause but vertical speed issues = Lion Air crash.

BBC said that they added this nose down software after making the plane longer and Boeing was worried about the stability. All speculation now. Hopefully they sort this out quickly. I have retired pilot/captain in the family. Spoken many times to him. Some of his colleagues point blank refused to fly "computer controlled" planes. "Wires" to the control surfaces Such doesn't work today.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    737 MAX. We will see what was the cause but vertical speed issues = Lion Air crash.

BBC said that they added this nose down software after making the plane longer and Boeing was worried about the stability. All speculation now. Hopefully they sort this out quickly. I have retired pilot/captain in the family. Spoken many times to him. Some of his colleagues point blank refused to fly "computer controlled" planes. "Wires" to the control surfaces Such doesn't work today.
    Sorry to be the one to tell you that all commercial aircraft now operate on fly by wire technology. If a pilot will only fly cable controlled aircraft he will be flying 1960's vintage aircraft, most of which are operated by the very dodgy airlines. Old generation aircraft are banned from operating in most places due to noise abatement legislation. I'll be following the accident investigation on this one again as it's part of my job description to do accident investigation.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    Sorry to be the one to tell you that all commercial aircraft now operate on fly by wire technology. If a pilot will only fly cable controlled aircraft he will be flying 1960's vintage aircraft, most of which are operated by the very dodgy airlines. Old generation aircraft are banned from operating in most places due to noise abatement legislation. I'll be following the accident investigation on this one again as it's part of my job description to do accident investigation.

They'll also be walking to work, as most cars now have fly by wire accelerators.

Wasnt there a recent crash with one of 737 boings?

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post

What is called 'fly-by-wire' means, as I understand, ' fly-by-electroservo-controlled-control-surface-movements' ie. 'fly by electric wire'-not 'fly by wire-rope/cable controlled surfaces'

The controversial issue among pilots is regarding the degrees of autonomy these electronic controls excercise -ie. is the pilot actually able to override the computer controlled inputs, or does the computer finally decide on inputs to control surfaces.

I would guess that most-if not all, commercial regional/long-haul aircraft nowadays have some level of fly-by-wire controls - physical wire rope/cables to control surfaces would be limited to smaller/much older aircraft.

It seems the MCAS system necessity( technically detailed in link below) -was primarily as a result of the dynamic changes to flight characteristics caused by the introduction of a new engine in the upgraded model 737, thus new nacelle + positioning on wing of engine, thus altered the lift characteristics and control surfaces reactions.

Essentially-the new engine design/details caused the traditional 737 to develop a nose-up bias compared to older generation 737 with traditional engine nacelle/positioning -the MCAS was supposed to 'assist' the pilot by autonomously 'correcting' the pitch angle ( by adjusting elevator trim) if the nose-up attitude tended towards stall angle -except, the pilot had to manually override this system-by working the elevator trim tab manually ( by cranking a wheel/cable -not sure if this is a fly-by-wire, or mechanical control) pilot could NOT deactivate MCAS by using electric trim control

-this arrangement of override only by secondary control system, not primary and secondary- by would seem a bit illogical to me -if I were Boeing/FAA

https://theaircurrent.com/aviation-s...em-mcas-jt610/

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick L For This Useful Post:

Sorry but that is not true, the 737 does not have fly by wire, the 737Max have fly by wire flight spoilers., the rest of the flight controls still conventional.
    Last edited by Cruiza; 2019/03/10 at 10:06 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Cruiza For This Useful Post:

Even the quite new B737 Max isn’t yet fly-by-wire. It builds on a rather old design and still shares systems and components with its great grandfather, the B737-200.

The system in question simply trims the elevator or stabilizer trim nose down, causing forces on the control column the pilots can’t overcome.

In older airplanes something similar could happen, called a trim runaway, essentially a malfunction of the trim.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Sorry to tell you that there are still quite a few commercial aircraft or airliner around with conventional controls, the B737 being one of them, even the Max series.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Yup first flight 1967 for the original 737. Even the the design shares much commonality with the 707 from ‘57. Vintage indeed. Some of the switches and panels are the same as its predecessorS. Controls are definitely cable controlled. Just not the spoilers on the MAX.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to DiscoDave For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    What is called 'fly-by-wire' means, as I understand, ' fly-by-electroservo-controlled-control-surface-movements' ie. 'fly by electric wire'-not 'fly by wire-rope/cable controlled surfaces'

The controversial issue among pilots is regarding the degrees of autonomy these electronic controls excercise -ie. is the pilot actually able to override the computer controlled inputs, or does the computer finally decide on inputs to control surfaces.

I would guess that most-if not all, commercial regional/long-haul aircraft nowadays have some level of fly-by-wire controls - physical wire rope/cables to control surfaces would be limited to smaller/much older aircraft.
    Fly by wire means there is no mechanical link anymore between the controls in the cockpit and the control surface.
    The control input from the pilot is converted into an electrical signal, in some cases digital, in others analogue and then again converted into a control surface deflection at the control surfaces.

Depending on the system / aircraft manufacturer, those pilot inputs are more or less augmented by flight computers under normal conditions, e.g. in order to prevent inputs which could lead to a stall, low speed condition, excessive bank, tail strike on take off, or similar undesirable flight conditions.

These augmentations can usually be “switched off” one way or the other.

Fly by wire airliners usually still have some mechanical or not augmented means of controlling pitch or nose up / down and directional control.
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2019/03/10 at 10:40 PM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

I did word my comment poorly. These older pilots wanted to fly the plane and not the computer. Airline in question used to fly DC9 and DC10 plus their later MD series. Then airline changed to Airbus planes. I suspect Aibus was too much for them.

I might remember wrong but 737 may have 707 body parts so to say.

Hopefully they sort out this quickly. There are over 5000 planes on order.

Use of computers is an issue. It is not only planes but cars also. Computers in the cars override what the driver is doing. That program better be right. I am still trying to find a computer program that is right. Humans make also mistakes. Is it sufficient if the program is better than average pilot or driver?
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Heard on Groot FM this morning that the Captain called in a fault just before take off but was cleared to take off?
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.

That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast