Dual sport tyres





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Loevenstein, Bellville
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,334
    Thanked: 351

    Default Dual sport tyres

    My trusty steed (F800GS) needs new tyres. I would love to go a bit more off-road oriented than the current Anakee 2's, but if I'm really honest with myself I do 99% tar and maybe once a year get an opportunity to go ride some dirt roads (which even then is not really technical). For safety's sake, grip on tar (wet and dry) is most important, but is it possible to go a bit more dual purpose without compromising on-road performance? If so, what tyres should I consider? I've made this shortlist (longlist?):

    Heidenau K60
    Shinko 705
    Metzeler Karoo street/ Karoo 3
    Anakee 2
    Mitas E07
    Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2/ MT90

    I'd appreciate some guidance here.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    31
    Posts
    39
    Thanked: 17

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    Check out www.wilddog.za.net
    This is a dedicated dual sport/adventure biking forum with abundance of information on these topics.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6,013
    Thanked: 2461

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    I would stick with the Anakee. They suit the bike well.

    I trust them
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

    2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Loevenstein, Bellville
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,334
    Thanked: 351

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    Quote Originally Posted by NAD View Post
    Check out www.wilddog.za.net
    This is a dedicated dual sport/adventure biking forum with abundance of information on these topics.
    I have. They don't have a dedicated tyre section which makes it difficult to find relevant information but from what I gather the Anakees are good and Karoo Street not so much. Youtube also provide some info but is more focused on choosing the right type of tyre for the type of riding than comparing specific tyres. This Forum usually provide some solid information based on experience so I thought I'd ask here as well.

    Maybe I'm just looking for confirmation that I should stick with Anakee's. Or encouragement to go wild.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Vereeniging
    Age
    38
    Posts
    471
    Thanked: 89

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    Check in at Bike tyre warehouse, speak to Bruce himself. He is a bike tyre specialist and a supplier of most tyre brands. Got a branch in Midrand (Main) and Fourways.
    Jan
    Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit (2017)
    (Previously owned (Only the Zooks really matter): Jimny 2010, Jimny 2013)
    Beta 400rr Enduro
    Wife: Suzuki Vitara GL+
    (Previously:Suzuki Swift GLS, Suzuki SX4 GLX)
    KTM 150 xc

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Vereeniging
    Age
    38
    Posts
    471
    Thanked: 89

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine View Post
    Check in at Bike tyre warehouse, speak to Bruce himself. He is a bike tyre specialist and a supplier of most tyre brands. Got a branch in Midrand (Main) and Fourways.
    Only see now that you are in Bellville, jammer.
    Jan
    Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit (2017)
    (Previously owned (Only the Zooks really matter): Jimny 2010, Jimny 2013)
    Beta 400rr Enduro
    Wife: Suzuki Vitara GL+
    (Previously:Suzuki Swift GLS, Suzuki SX4 GLX)
    KTM 150 xc

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Epinephrine For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Loevenstein, Bellville
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,334
    Thanked: 351

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine View Post
    Only see now that you are in Bellville, jammer.
    Maybe I now have an excuse for a bike trip.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Musashi For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    39
    Posts
    281
    Thanked: 42

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    I've used both the Anakee II and the E07.
    The Anakee is good on tar and ok on dirt.
    The E07 is ok on tar, good on dirt.
    Both gets good mileage.
    If you tend towards dirt, the E07 is the way to go.
    You can never have the best of both worlds though..
    Land Cruiser 76 4.5 V8

    http://www.roughingit.co.za/

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to jannieljoubert For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wellington
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,084
    Thanked: 438

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    Speak to Henk Kotzee from Cape bike tyre
    He will give you the best advice and good prices too.
    Zero 82 Seven18 Four156

    My personal preference would be Motoz Tractionator
    Some car, some bike and two legs

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to hcs For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    54
    Posts
    52
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    Hi
    What about TKC 70 good 70/30 compromise.
    Have had them on my 1200Gs for about 5000ks and am impressed.

    The Heidenaus will kill you in the wet - well known to be very slippery in wet weather

    Anakee3 also good on road - made for 10% off road

    Enjoy the hunt

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to jukaki For This Useful Post:


  17. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Loevenstein, Bellville
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,334
    Thanked: 351

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    Quote Originally Posted by hcs View Post
    Speak to Henk Kotzee from Cape bike tyre
    He will give you the best advice and good prices too.
    Zero 82 Seven18 Four156

    My personal preference would be Motoz Tractionator
    Great service from Henk, thanks hcs! New tyre is on it's way and should be here early next week.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

  18. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Carrigaline
    Age
    52
    Posts
    71
    Thanked: 49

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    It wasn't on your list but the Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara also a good tyre. P,lenty of grip off and on road but you pay a price with it wearing fast.

  19. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Loevenstein, Bellville
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,334
    Thanked: 351

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    Quote Originally Posted by B Murr View Post
    It wasn't on your list but the Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara also a good tyre. P,lenty of grip off and on road but you pay a price with it wearing fast.
    That's what I gathered from some tyre reviews as well. I decided on the Shinko 705 and I'm very happy thus far.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    43
    Posts
    30
    Thanked: 16

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    Browse the Wilddog forum, theres a make and model specific discussion board http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?board=94.0 - The guys will flood you with opinions.

    Personally, Ive had the Anakee 2's, Anakee 3's, Metzelers and EO7's on my 800. All fantastic tyres. The EO7's will give you a little more confidence than the others off the tar, but if your only going to do a bit of gravel road then Anakee 3's or Metzelers are perfect
    See it - Plan it - Believe it - Do it

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wellington
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,084
    Thanked: 438

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Great service from Henk, thanks hcs! New tyre is on it's way and should be here early next week.
    Henk is a good guy. Professional fitment and very knowledgeable as well
    Some car, some bike and two legs

  22. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    52
    Posts
    13,859
    Thanked: 982

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    I dont believe in dual sport but its too expensive to get another set of rims. I do it with my vehicles, road and muds.

    Anakee 3 has very good grip, Karoo is good, had them on but now running anakee wild.

    As with cars, less miles more grip
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

  23. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    36
    Posts
    192
    Thanked: 21

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    My trusty steed (F800GS) needs new tyres. I would love to go a bit more off-road oriented than the current Anakee 2's, but if I'm really honest with myself I do 99% tar and maybe once a year get an opportunity to go ride some dirt roads (which even then is not really technical). For safety's sake, grip on tar (wet and dry) is most important, but is it possible to go a bit more dual purpose without compromising on-road performance? If so, what tyres should I consider? I've made this shortlist (longlist?):

    Heidenau K60
    Shinko 705
    Metzeler Karoo street/ Karoo 3
    Anakee 2
    Mitas E07
    Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2/ MT90

    I'd appreciate some guidance here.
    I've run all the tires above, except the shinko.

    The best tires i've ever fitted to my dual sport bikes. Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X001.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	539604

    fantastic wet grip, excellent offroad in various conditions. on tar 200+ runs perfect. all day cruising at 160 without delaminating.

    I even get around 8000km on a rear on the 990.
    Fiat Fullback LX 4x4




  24. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Langebaan
    Age
    44
    Posts
    109
    Thanked: 55

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    I have done about 90000km on my Gs800. I ride a lot!!! Use the bike mainly to commute as well.

    I have found my favorite tyre and will stick to them through thick and thin. Mainly because that is what I tried and what worked for me.

    When I bought my bike it was fitted with the front Pirelli which it came out with and anakee 3 on the back.
    Pirelli is ### on the front Anakee 3 good on tar not to bad off it either. I even rode in the dune with the anakee 3.

    Then I used the Michelin T63 on the front - great front tire even on the twisties never had an issue, but they discontinued the tire.

    Rear I used a lot of different tires.
    TKC 80 on the rear sometimes lasted only 1500km tire - Did I mention I was heavy on rear tires??

    Heidenhau K60 was the next rear tire in line. Okish but poor on wet roads infact scary on wet roads not great grip but best I got was about 10000km. Had quite a few of them.

    In the meantime I switched to Michelin Anakee wild on the front - great tire.

    Now on my second MOTOZ tractionator adventure. Best 50/50 knobbly on the market in my opinion. Great grip on tar and gravel, wet or dry and milage great as well.

    Now what would I suggest.

    Look at a knobbly for the front, be mindfull that stopping distances on tar is a little more but when you are used to them no issues.
    For city driving and the ocaasional dirt ride the MOTOZ tractionator GPS. A 50/50 dualspot tire. Apparently give great milage (25000km been spoken of)

    Use it don't use it, just my experience and my suggestions

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Malmoer For This Useful Post:


  26. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Loevenstein, Bellville
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,334
    Thanked: 351

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    It seems this thread is still going. I fitted a new tyre in March already and maybe it's just appropriate that I give some feedback after a few months of use.

    So I decided on the Shinko 705 and Henk from Cape Bike Tyre quickly got me a set. My findings:

    Grip: Despite being quite a bit more aggressive than the previous Anakee 2's, the grip on tar is the same: very good. The Shinko's are still 50/50 tyres and I'm quite surprised by the good grip on tar. I've taken the bike off road and the grip is much better. It may be just because the Anakees are not really suited to proper off-roading but the Shinko's have all the grip I need.
    Noise: The Shinko's have a nice hum on the open road. It's not bothersome but definitely more noticeable than the Anakee 2's.
    Range: Reviews all indicate that the Shinko's last longer than average. I haven't done enough km's to test the wear so ask me again in a year's time.
    Price: Very competitive. The front tyre was less than R1200 balanced and fitted. Rand / km this must be one of the "cheapest".

    So thus far very happy with my choice but I guess time will tell.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

  27. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    33
    Posts
    175
    Thanked: 71

    Default Re: Dual sport tyres

    Quote Originally Posted by Malmoer View Post
    I have done about 90000km on my Gs800. I ride a lot!!! Use the bike mainly to commute as well.

    I have found my favorite tyre and will stick to them through thick and thin. Mainly because that is what I tried and what worked for me.

    When I bought my bike it was fitted with the front Pirelli which it came out with and anakee 3 on the back.
    Pirelli is ### on the front Anakee 3 good on tar not to bad off it either. I even rode in the dune with the anakee 3.

    Then I used the Michelin T63 on the front - great front tire even on the twisties never had an issue, but they discontinued the tire.

    Rear I used a lot of different tires.
    TKC 80 on the rear sometimes lasted only 1500km tire - Did I mention I was heavy on rear tires??

    Heidenhau K60 was the next rear tire in line. Okish but poor on wet roads infact scary on wet roads not great grip but best I got was about 10000km. Had quite a few of them.

    In the meantime I switched to Michelin Anakee wild on the front - great tire.

    Now on my second MOTOZ tractionator adventure. Best 50/50 knobbly on the market in my opinion. Great grip on tar and gravel, wet or dry and milage great as well.

    Now what would I suggest.

    Look at a knobbly for the front, be mindfull that stopping distances on tar is a little more but when you are used to them no issues.
    For city driving and the ocaasional dirt ride the MOTOZ tractionator GPS. A 50/50 dualspot tire. Apparently give great milage (25000km been spoken of)

    Use it don't use it, just my experience and my suggestions
    How is that anakees wild front treating you? I got way to many punctures with it, will be dumping that tyre. Not to happy with my MotoZ Desert H/T at the moment either, but also heard good things about the GPS.

    Sounds like the OP does 99% tar, so should be fine on Anakees 3s. Just deflate when you go on the gravel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •