Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    53
    Posts
    662
    Thanked: 467

    Default Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    Some interesting 4x4 sales stats from Ausland.

    - They sell 2.5x more MU-Xs than Fortuners

    - They sell more Prados than MU-X, Paj Sport and Everest combined

    - They sell 6x more Prados than Fortuners

    - They sell 4x more LC wagons than Fortuners

    Very interesting indeed

    https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/vfa...4x4_newsletter
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Emalahleni
    Age
    64
    Posts
    275
    Thanked: 113

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    And they must richer than us.....
    Here you talk R1mill per such car...
    And that's when you pay cash....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    edenvale
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,432
    Thanked: 212

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    the imported premium cars in RSA which are on that list carry at least 40% ad valorem duty so its typical to pay more in RSA for the equivalent in AUS

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bar For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,174
    Thanked: 10290

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    They don't pay the same inflated prices. we get taxed to death here.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    53
    Posts
    662
    Thanked: 467

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    The very low Fortuner sales compared to its rivals is noticeable.

    Are we missing something? Also tax-related?

    Consumer perception? or marketing?
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    53
    Posts
    662
    Thanked: 467

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    Quote Originally Posted by 3bar View Post
    the imported premium cars in RSA which are on that list carry at least 40% ad valorem duty so its typical to pay more in RSA for the equivalent in AUS
    How is imported premium cars defined? Price? Luxury?
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    edenvale
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,432
    Thanked: 212

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    technically all new imported cars into RSA carry ad valorem duties, some manufacturers with an export arm offset the local manufacturing and exporting business against these imported cars - this is why BMWs and Mercedes are priced so competitively in RSA due to the massive export - RSA literally has some of the cheaper BMWs in the world.
    but on the other hand Subaru does not have any export credits and therefore its cars are stupid money and massively overpriced for what you get = so if its imported it carries massive duties but some manufacturers offset this against the "jobs created" and lots of funny money accounting and the shady principles of the motor industry development plan, which literally makes motor vehicles for the general public of what 10 million car owners MORE expensive to keep 100 000 or so jobs in the local manufacturing industry and prevent the "unfair" competition of used vehicle imports or cheap new but last generation "run out" old cars being dumped in RSA from other markets where they didn't sell the previous year

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3bar For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    183
    Thanked: 43

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    The very low Fortuner sales compared to its rivals is noticeable.

    Are we missing something? Also tax-related?

    Consumer perception? or marketing?
    .
    Last edited by Cruiza; 2019/03/07 at 09:08 AM.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    183
    Thanked: 43

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    The very low Fortuner sales compared to its rivals is noticeable.

    Are we missing something? Also tax-related?

    Consumer perception? or marketing?
    Because in Aus the Prado cost like $7-10 000 more that the Fortuner,
    while in Sa it is almost R3-400 000 more than a Fortuner.

    https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...parison-review
    Last edited by Cruiza; 2019/03/07 at 09:12 AM.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cruiza For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    53
    Posts
    662
    Thanked: 467

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiza View Post
    Did you read the article?
    The article doesn't mention Fortuner.

    Stats show:

    MU-X - 654

    Paj Sport - 502

    Everest - 432

    Fortuner - 264

    That is almost a direct opposite of the South African sales and that's why I find it very interesting and would like some input as to why?
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    183
    Thanked: 43

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    The article doesn't mention Fortuner.

    Stats show:

    MU-X - 654

    Paj Sport - 502

    Everest - 432

    Fortuner - 264

    That is almost a direct opposite of the South African sales and that's why I find it very interesting and would like some input as to why?
    Those stats you mention is for 9 days, from 11th- 20th of Feb....

    if i could pay R100 000 more than what i paid for my Fortuner for a bottom of the range Prado i will buy the Prado.
    Last edited by Cruiza; 2019/03/07 at 09:17 AM.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cruiza For This Useful Post:


  17. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    53
    Posts
    662
    Thanked: 467

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    So the Fortuner sales figures are down because there is only a small difference in price between it and the Prado. Makes sense. Lucky Aussies!
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    53
    Posts
    662
    Thanked: 467

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiza View Post
    Those stats you mention is for 9 days, from 11th- 20th of Feb....

    if i could pay R100 000 more than what i paid for my Fortuner for a bottom of the range Prado i will buy the Prado.
    https://citytoyota.dealer.toyota.com...sade/automatic

    https://citytoyota.dealer.toyota.com...978.1551944024

    It's actually closer to R20 000-00

    Explains a lot.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

  19. #14
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    39
    Posts
    90
    Thanked: 69

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    The article doesn't mention Fortuner.

    Stats show:

    MU-X - 654

    Paj Sport - 502

    Everest - 432

    Fortuner - 264

    That is almost a direct opposite of the South African sales and that's why I find it very interesting and would like some input as to why?

    I have heard plenty on this forum that the African dealer network around South Africa is a big factor in buying Toyota's, to me personally this doesn't make sense depending how often you actually travel to our neighbours.
    I also have seen on the Aussie car reviews the rural crowd like the reliability of the Isuzu 3L diesel motor, I know the PS won some shootout they had recently as it had more bells and whistles than equivalent priced Fords and Toyota's.

    cheers.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yster1979 For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putfontein, Benoni
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,782
    Thanked: 1975

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    Almost in no review where a fortuner feature in ausie does it get rated well. Maybe they have a different fortuner or south africans and ausies are just different. Or here the lemmings / joneses thing is bigger than one thinks.

    I personally have no horse in the race. Have never bothered with one and neither with it's competition. Once I moved to SUV from bakkie I think i'll never move back.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:


  23. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    54
    Posts
    887
    Thanked: 687

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    Ok some perspective.

    Prices as quote by a dealer in Perth today:

    Fortuner Crusade (same spec as our top of the range 2.8 4x4 Auto Fortuner) - AUS$ 63 850.00
    Prado VX (same spec as our VX Prado) - AUS$ - 81 950.00

    Exchange rate as of 9.30am today is R10.04 to 1 AUS$.

    Therefore, using simple maths, the Fortuner is R 641 054.00 and the Prado is R822 778.00

    On Toyota SA's website the fortuner is priced at R678 200.00 which is R37 146.00 more expensive than the same vehicle in OZ

    The Prado is priced at R970 500.00 which is R147 722.00 more expensive than the same vehicle in OZ.

    As stated, if the Prado was that close to 800k here im sure it would sell a whole lot more than the 100 odd units a month.
    Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD6 D/Cab 4x4

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:


  25. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    54
    Posts
    887
    Thanked: 687

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    The top selling models for Feb 2019 in Australia by model of vehicle.


    Top 20 models, February 2019:



    Toyota HiLux 4431
    Ford Ranger 3377
    Mitsubishi Triton 3155
    Mazda 3 2655
    Mazda CX-5 2357
    Mitsubishi ASX 2122
    Toyota Corolla 2070
    Hyundai i30 1929
    LandCruiser 70/200 1804
    Toyota RAV4 1639
    Toyota Prado 1569
    Kia Cerato 1568
    Mitsubishi Outlander 1524
    Nissan X-Trail 1420
    Holden Colorado 1302
    Toyota Camry 1298
    Honda CR-V 1266
    Hyundai Accent 1232
    Nissan Navara 1219
    Isuzu D-Max 1195
    Last edited by Caracal; 2019/03/07 at 10:08 AM.
    Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD6 D/Cab 4x4

  26. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,010
    Thanked: 946

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    Ok some perspective.

    Prices as quote by a dealer in Perth today:

    Fortuner Crusade (same spec as our top of the range 2.8 4x4 Auto Fortuner) - AUS$ 63 850.00
    Prado VX (same spec as our VX Prado) - AUS$ - 81 950.00

    Exchange rate as of 9.30am today is R10.04 to 1 AUS$.

    Therefore, using simple maths, the Fortuner is R 641 054.00 and the Prado is R822 778.00

    On Toyota SA's website the fortuner is priced at R678 200.00 which is R37 146.00 more expensive than the same vehicle in OZ

    The Prado is priced at R970 500.00 which is R147 722.00 more expensive than the same vehicle in OZ.

    As stated, if the Prado was that close to 800k here im sure it would sell a whole lot more than the 100 odd units a month.

    If you add to that the fact that we're still getting the D4D Prado and not the newer GD, it appears that Prado owners are getting royally screwed here. But most of the difference is probably down to taxes..

  27. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hartenbos
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,363
    Thanked: 369

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    The top selling models for Feb 2019 in Australia by model of vehicle.


    Top 20 models, February 2019:



    Toyota HiLux 4431
    Ford Ranger 3377
    Mitsubishi Triton 3155
    Mazda 3 2655
    Mazda CX-5 2357
    Mitsubishi ASX 2122
    Toyota Corolla 2070
    Hyundai i30 1929
    LandCruiser 70/200 1804
    Toyota RAV4 1639
    Toyota Prado 1569
    Kia Cerato 1568
    Mitsubishi Outlander 1524
    Nissan X-Trail 1420
    Holden Colorado 1302
    Toyota Camry 1298
    Honda CR-V 1266
    Hyundai Accent 1232
    Nissan Navara 1219
    Isuzu D-Max 1195
    So in Australia, in February, the Amarok did not feature under the top 20?
    Hermanator

    Herman Smit

  28. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putfontein, Benoni
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,782
    Thanked: 1975

    Default Re: Interesting 4x4 sales figures from Aus

    Hermator - I think you need to click on the link supplied in the first post.

    amarok was 11th in the 4x4 category - sold 683.

    vs 264 fortuners...
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •