9-day trip from Cape Town to Sossusvlei and back

Default 9-day trip from Cape Town to Sossusvlei and back

Hi all,

My family and I are planning to do a 9-day drive from Cape Town to Sossusvlei and back again. Obviously these timelines are quite tight and we want to get the most out of the trip.
    Does anyone have any experience doing this trip in that time and possibly any itineraries or suggest routes/ stops?

Thank you in advance,
    Christian

Default Re: 9-day trip from Cape Town to Sossusvlei and back

Vehicle?
    Camping?

If 4x4 and camping:
    Day 1 : To Namakwa Park
    Day 2 : to Port Nolloth or Oranjemand
    Day 3: Aus ( Klein Aus Vista)
    Day 4 : Aus - Day visit to Luderitz/Kolmanskoppe
    Day 5 : Sossusvlei
    Day 6 Sosusvlei - visit dunes etc.
    Day 7: Hobas/Ais Ais
    Day 8: Ais Ais
    Day 9: Home or to Amanzi trails ( Orange river)
    Day 10: Cape Town.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
    Vehicle?
    Camping?

If 4x4 and camping:
    Day 1 : To Namakwa Park
    Day 2 : to Port Nolloth or Oranjemand
    Day 3: Aus ( Klein Aus Vista)
    Day 4 : Aus - Day visit to Luderitz/Kolmanskoppe
    Day 5 : Sossusvlei
    Day 6 Sosusvlei - visit dunes etc.
    Day 7: Hobas/Ais Ais
    Day 8: Ais Ais
    Day 9: Home or to Amanzi trails ( Orange river)
    Day 10: Cape Town.
    Thank you for the quick response, Chris!
    We are indeed going camping w. a 4x4.

Do you have any experiences with NamibRand Family Hideout and would this be a suitable jump-off point for going to the dunes in Sossusvlei?

Quote Originally Posted by Crosenvold View Post

Do you have any experiences with NamibRand Family Hideout and would this be a suitable jump-off point for going to the dunes in Sossusvlei?
    Beautiful spot, but a bit far from Sossus - Ranch Koiimasis relatively close to Namibrand is also stunning. Contrary to other advice above, I would head up to the Sossus area as fast as possible, skipping the days in South Africa and skipping Ai Ais, unless you have a burning yen to see it. Around Sossus, there are amazing spots - for Sossus itself, camp at Sesriem, so you can get into the dunes early and leave late as you are inside the gates. Then look at camping or chalet-ing a night or two at Tsauchab River Lodge, and a night or two at the parks campsite in the Naukluft itself - hike up the river past the giant ficus trees filled with Rosy-cheeked Lovebirds to a couple of crystal clear, very deep pools for swimming. Just make sure you baboon-proof your camp.

There are several other options in this amazing area - Sossusvlei is just one of the attractions (and don't miss hiking through the Sesriem Canyon).
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2019/03/05 at 03:40 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Never stayed at Namibrand.
    Always try to book at Sesriem restcamp.
    Reason: You can drive down to dune area earlier than day visitors.
    Sossusvlei nowadays very popular with tour buses etc.

Thank you all for the great advice. We just came back from an amazing trip and I wanted to share the iteniary and a few of my thoughts in case someone may find it useful in the future.

Day 1: Cape Town -> Orange River
    Overnight: Orange River Rafting Camp
    After a long and relatively strenuous drive through a lot of rain and wind, we arrived at Orange River. The beautiful sunset and a friendly manager greeted us at the camp, where we enjoyed the view of the River and the private, covered dining area with built-in table and benches.

Day 2: Orange River -> Luderitz
    Overnight: Lighthouse of Shark Island Camp
    The border crossing was quick and easy. The SA side was very pleasant with all the staff being joyful and friendly. Unfortunately, the Namibia side was less fun and I found the officers to be uninterested and unhelpful. Fortunately, the beautiful drive to Luderitz quickly made us forget all about that. On the way, we came across a herd of wild horses grazing by the roadside. We stopped and they were curious and came very close, with one of them exploring our side view mirror with his teeth...
    Luderitz was very windy and cold, so we were pleased to have booked the lighthouse which provided shelter and very cool insight into the history of the town.

Day 3: Luderitz -> Sossusvlei
    Overnight: Sossusvlei Lodge
    After a quick stop over in Kolmanskop where we enjoyed the guided tour, we drow straight to Sossusvlei along the big and good dirt road. We arrived and stayed at the only site we could find close to the gate which was Sossusvlei Lodge (everything else had been booked out, when I was doing my planning). This was an amazing lodge and great value - highly recommended!

Day 4: Sossusvlei -> NamibRand
    Overnight: NamibRand Family Hideout
    We spent most of the day driving and hiking in and amongst the dunes of Sossusvlei which was less busy but as beautiful as expected. We then drove to NamibRand which was very difficult to find since Google maps had the completely wrong coordinates. Fortunately, we had kept the directions from the booking confirmation which were easy to follow and we found it soon after. The site was the nicest and most beautiful campsite I've ever stayed at. The campsites were so far apart that it felt like wild camping. The reminder that you were not wild camping was the completely private wooden and tented structure which provided a shower room, toilet, and covered dining area which came with each spot. Facilities and environment were both stunning!

Day 5: NamibRand -> Ai Ais
    Overnight: Ai Ais Camp
    This was a really beautiful drive with large changes in scenery. The campsite was much better than my (admittedly low) expectations. There was not a lot of established civilisation on the way, so I would recommend stocking up on supplies as necessary.

Day 6: Stayed at Ai Ais
    Overnight: Ai Ais Camp
    After a few days of intense driving, we stayed here for some rest. We hiked a short part of the Fish River Canyon route, which was beautiful but HOT. The rest of the time, we enjoyed the excellent pool and spa facilities. The massages here were way above what you'd expect from a public campsite.

Day 7: Ai Ais -> Franschhoek
    Needless to say, this was mostly wine tasting...