Selling a vehicle privately - any fraud/scam experiences?





Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 1

    Default Selling a vehicle privately - any fraud/scam experiences?

    I've recently listed my Isuzu for sale on Gumtree, and today I've had no less than 3 calls from separate interested people, all supposedly from Namibia, all with a friend nearby who can help with the viewing and payment etc. They're willing to transfer the money into a bank account (I've said directly into WesBank's account, so it's not in mine and I wouldn't be able to "run away" with it). I'm waiting to hear back to arrange an actual viewing, but damn, the coincidence (and my suspicion) is just too much too ignore. Are these guys running a well-known scam which I'm not aware of, or is it bakkie buying season in Nam?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    48
    Posts
    381
    Thanked: 199

    Default Re: Selling a vehicle privately - any fraud/scam experiences?

    Quote Originally Posted by supamario View Post
    I've recently listed my Isuzu for sale on Gumtree, and today I've had no less than 3 calls from separate interested people, all supposedly from Namibia, all with a friend nearby who can help with the viewing and payment etc. They're willing to transfer the money into a bank account (I've said directly into WesBank's account, so it's not in mine and I wouldn't be able to "run away" with it). I'm waiting to hear back to arrange an actual viewing, but damn, the coincidence (and my suspicion) is just too much too ignore. Are these guys running a well-known scam which I'm not aware of, or is it bakkie buying season in Nam?
    That scam is as old as the internet itself. Run Forest run.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    1,004
    Thanked: 876

    Default Re: Selling a vehicle privately - any fraud/scam experiences?

    Indeed a scam.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    62
    Posts
    64
    Thanked: 43

    Default Re: Selling a vehicle privately - any fraud/scam experiences?

    Quote Originally Posted by supamario View Post
    I've recently listed my Isuzu for sale on Gumtree, and today I've had no less than 3 calls from separate interested people, all supposedly from Namibia, all with a friend nearby who can help with the viewing and payment etc. They're willing to transfer the money into a bank account (I've said directly into WesBank's account, so it's not in mine and I wouldn't be able to "run away" with it). I'm waiting to hear back to arrange an actual viewing, but damn, the coincidence (and my suspicion) is just too much too ignore. Are these guys running a well-known scam which I'm not aware of, or is it bakkie buying season in Nam?
    Pass up on that sale...or shed your tears later!

    The next thing is they eft you but the payment does not come through and the friend is in a rush to collect the car...

    The purchaser even sends you an sms to confirm the payment and ads his ID....ALL fake!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Selling a vehicle privately - any fraud/scam experiences?

    Thanks all. Positive it's all bollocks, but what makes me a little unsure about the fraudulence of at least one of the offers is that the buyer is happy for the vehicle to remain with me until the paperwork has been resolved, up to a couple of weeks even as he suggested. We'd go to the bank together, then the police station with proof of payment for an affidavit, and wait for paperwork to be completed with WesBank... If that was part of the scam, how would it play out?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    66
    Posts
    421
    Thanked: 106

    Default Re: Selling a vehicle privately - any fraud/scam experiences?

    You will never reach the bank nor the police station

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to toppie4x4 For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    48
    Posts
    381
    Thanked: 199

    Default Re: Selling a vehicle privately - any fraud/scam experiences?

    Quote Originally Posted by toppie4x4 View Post
    You will never reach the bank nor the police station
    Indeed. That is where they catch a lift with you, want to pay with fake diamonds, and then get their "police" buddies to pull you over with the "diamonds" in your car. It happened to somebody I know.

    It is totally worth your while to get those type of transactions done through Petri on this very forum. I know he has assisted several members here.
    Last edited by Tom13; 2019/03/04 at 05:33 PM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,448
    Thanked: 302

    Default Re: Selling a vehicle privately - any fraud/scam experiences?

    I had this happen to me, but I physically removed said individual from me ClubCab before we got to that stage. Interesting conversation, but I'm not in the diamond trade.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    Indeed. That is where they catch a lift with you, want to pay with fake diamonds, and then get their "police" buddies to pull you over with the "diamonds" in your car. It happened to somebody I know.

    It is totally worth your while to get those type of transactions done through Petri on this very forum. I know he has assisted several members here.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Vereeniging
    Age
    38
    Posts
    471
    Thanked: 89

    Default Re: Selling a vehicle privately - any fraud/scam experiences?

    The best safest no strings attached golden rule. Money in the bank; keys in the hand. No, but I have this problem or that. When the money in confirmed in your bank; the paper work can be done and the keys can be handed.Most scammers will not be interested in such a deal. Yes you might lose that one guy/girl who really had an alternative plan, but you will still be safe.
    Jan
    Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit (2017)
    (Previously owned (Only the Zooks really matter): Jimny 2010, Jimny 2013)
    Beta 400rr Enduro
    Wife: Suzuki Vitara GL+
    (Previously:Suzuki Swift GLS, Suzuki SX4 GLX)
    KTM 150 xc

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Epinephrine For This Useful Post:


  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Langebaan
    Age
    55
    Posts
    36
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: Selling a vehicle privately - any fraud/scam experiences?

    Quote Originally Posted by supamario View Post
    Thanks all. Positive it's all bollocks, but what makes me a little unsure about the fraudulence of at least one of the offers is that the buyer is happy for the vehicle to remain with me until the paperwork has been resolved, up to a couple of weeks even as he suggested. We'd go to the bank together, then the police station with proof of payment for an affidavit, and wait for paperwork to be completed with WesBank... If that was part of the scam, how would it play out?
    I have been through this exact one, with diamonds and a lift to XYZ etc etc.

    Stay away - there is no deal and you are about to expose yourself to unknown risks and a situation that can get out of hand.

    Break off all contact with the so-called buyers. They will keep you busy for weeks.

    If you want to trade the vehicle for another, find your dealer of choice and do a proper transaction. You may be getting less for the vehicle you are selling than from all the promises, but at least you can close the deal and move on.
    Last edited by rian skip; 2019/03/05 at 08:36 AM.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    51
    Posts
    258
    Thanked: 88

    Default Re: Selling a vehicle privately - any fraud/scam experiences?

    Quote Originally Posted by supamario View Post
    I've recently listed my Isuzu for sale on Gumtree, and today I've had no less than 3 calls from separate interested people, all supposedly from Namibia, all with a friend nearby who can help with the viewing and payment etc. They're willing to transfer the money into a bank account (I've said directly into WesBank's account, so it's not in mine and I wouldn't be able to "run away" with it). I'm waiting to hear back to arrange an actual viewing, but damn, the coincidence (and my suspicion) is just too much too ignore. Are these guys running a well-known scam which I'm not aware of, or is it bakkie buying season in Nam?
    Have you advertised your Isuzu here on this forum?......probably the safest place to do it.
    I'm looking for a bakkie. So if it fits my requirements then maybe.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to MariusvdM For This Useful Post:


  15. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Selling a vehicle privately - any fraud/scam experiences?

    Quote Originally Posted by MariusvdM View Post
    Have you advertised your Isuzu here on this forum?......probably the safest place to do it.
    I'm looking for a bakkie. So if it fits my requirements then maybe.
    I've not advertised it on here. A link to the Gumtree ad, should you be interested:

    2008 Isuzu KB300 LX Extended Cab,
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...nt=app_android

    Price: R 139,000

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •