Selling a vehicle privately - any fraud/scam experiences?

Default Selling a vehicle privately - any fraud/scam experiences?

I've recently listed my Isuzu for sale on Gumtree, and today I've had no less than 3 calls from separate interested people, all supposedly from Namibia, all with a friend nearby who can help with the viewing and payment etc. They're willing to transfer the money into a bank account (I've said directly into WesBank's account, so it's not in mine and I wouldn't be able to "run away" with it). I'm waiting to hear back to arrange an actual viewing, but damn, the coincidence (and my suspicion) is just too much too ignore. Are these guys running a well-known scam which I'm not aware of, or is it bakkie buying season in Nam?

Default Re: Selling a vehicle privately - any fraud/scam experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by supamario View Post
    I've recently listed my Isuzu for sale on Gumtree, and today I've had no less than 3 calls from separate interested people, all supposedly from Namibia, all with a friend nearby who can help with the viewing and payment etc. They're willing to transfer the money into a bank account (I've said directly into WesBank's account, so it's not in mine and I wouldn't be able to "run away" with it). I'm waiting to hear back to arrange an actual viewing, but damn, the coincidence (and my suspicion) is just too much too ignore. Are these guys running a well-known scam which I'm not aware of, or is it bakkie buying season in Nam?
    That scam is as old as the internet itself. Run Forest run.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Indeed a scam.

Pass up on that sale...or shed your tears later!

The next thing is they eft you but the payment does not come through and the friend is in a rush to collect the car...

The purchaser even sends you an sms to confirm the payment and ads his ID....ALL fake!!

Thanks all. Positive it's all bollocks, but what makes me a little unsure about the fraudulence of at least one of the offers is that the buyer is happy for the vehicle to remain with me until the paperwork has been resolved, up to a couple of weeks even as he suggested. We'd go to the bank together, then the police station with proof of payment for an affidavit, and wait for paperwork to be completed with WesBank... If that was part of the scam, how would it play out?

You will never reach the bank nor the police station

7. The Following User Says Thank You to toppie4x4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by toppie4x4 View Post
    You will never reach the bank nor the police station
    Indeed. That is where they catch a lift with you, want to pay with fake diamonds, and then get their "police" buddies to pull you over with the "diamonds" in your car. It happened to somebody I know.

It is totally worth your while to get those type of transactions done through Petri on this very forum. I know he has assisted several members here.
    Last edited by Tom13; 2019/03/04 at 05:33 PM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

I had this happen to me, but I physically removed said individual from me ClubCab before we got to that stage. Interesting conversation, but I'm not in the diamond trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    Indeed. That is where they catch a lift with you, want to pay with fake diamonds, and then get their "police" buddies to pull you over with the "diamonds" in your car. It happened to somebody I know.

It is totally worth your while to get those type of transactions done through Petri on this very forum. I know he has assisted several members here.

The best safest no strings attached golden rule. Money in the bank; keys in the hand. No, but I have this problem or that. When the money in confirmed in your bank; the paper work can be done and the keys can be handed.Most scammers will not be interested in such a deal. Yes you might lose that one guy/girl who really had an alternative plan, but you will still be safe.
    Jan
    Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit (2017)
    (Previously owned (Only the Zooks really matter): Jimny 2010, Jimny 2013)
    Beta 400rr Enduro
    Wife: Suzuki Vitara GL+
    (Previously:Suzuki Swift GLS, Suzuki SX4 GLX)
    KTM 150 xc

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Epinephrine For This Useful Post:

Thanks all. Positive it's all bollocks, but what makes me a little unsure about the fraudulence of at least one of the offers is that the buyer is happy for the vehicle to remain with me until the paperwork has been resolved, up to a couple of weeks even as he suggested. We'd go to the bank together, then the police station with proof of payment for an affidavit, and wait for paperwork to be completed with WesBank... If that was part of the scam, how would it play out?
    I have been through this exact one, with diamonds and a lift to XYZ etc etc.

Stay away - there is no deal and you are about to expose yourself to unknown risks and a situation that can get out of hand.

Break off all contact with the so-called buyers. They will keep you busy for weeks.

If you want to trade the vehicle for another, find your dealer of choice and do a proper transaction. You may be getting less for the vehicle you are selling than from all the promises, but at least you can close the deal and move on.
    Last edited by rian skip; 2019/03/05 at 08:36 AM.

Have you advertised your Isuzu here on this forum?......probably the safest place to do it.
    I'm looking for a bakkie. So if it fits my requirements then maybe.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MariusvdM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MariusvdM View Post
    Have you advertised your Isuzu here on this forum?......probably the safest place to do it.
    I'm looking for a bakkie. So if it fits my requirements then maybe.
    I've not advertised it on here. A link to the Gumtree ad, should you be interested:

2008 Isuzu KB300 LX Extended Cab,
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...nt=app_android

Price: R 139,000