Lens Advice Please

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Lens Advice Please

Hi all, I need some advice please. I only recently started using my 10 year old canon 450d, which have been gathering dust for the last couple of years. I have the standard 18-55 kit lens, and then also purchased a 50mm which I really enjoy for the portrait shots. I would really like to take some more shots of birds and wildlife (after finding inspiration from your photos in these threads), and also maybe of the kids without sticking the lens up their faces. Money is always an issue, so will be saving up for a long time I guess, so I want to buy a decent lens first time around. I have been browsing Orms and the other online shops a bit, there are plenty of second hand options up for grabs now and then. But there are so many different options. Could you please help my out with some sound advice, on a fairly decent lens with a bit of reach for those longer shots. I know there are many variables, but for starting out, what would you buy thanks in advance.

Default Re: Lens Advice Please

What is your budget?

I would look for a Sigma 15-600mm (preferably the Sport).

Something like this: https://www.outdoorphoto.community/forums/topic/sigma-150-600-sport-canon-mount/

One day when I have some money again, I'd love to get one of them (for Nikon)...

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SAND For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jds View Post
    ...but for starting out, what would you buy thanks in advance.
    70-300. Light enough to handle and long enough to do some birds and wildlife. It will also double as a nice lens for taking pics of the family.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

70-300 and the latest versions are decent. Agree with above. If money available, a second hand copy of the 70-300 L IS version is superb, highly rated lens, visibly better image quality than the standard 70-300's, but difficult to find second hand - and much more money.
    If you can spend a little bit more another option would be 400/5.6 L second hand. Then you will be right into 'bird reach', with excellent image quality, and outstanding results possible.
    You will lose out on the closer large mammals, as you will have too much focal lenght, and no freedom to 'zoom out'.

D.
    Last edited by IanK; 2019/03/04 at 02:13 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IanK For This Useful Post:

jds

I would agree with SAND...150-600 tamron or sigma will probably be your best bet!

If you are going to do both wildlife and birds, then 70-300 could be sufficient, but keep your expectations on birds in check. I have taken a few good shots at 300mm of birds, but in most cases, 300mm (on crop sensor, thus equivalent of +-450 mm) is just too short for birds.

I currently have a 200-500mm (once again on crop sensor, so equivalent of 300-750mm) and I find that 90%+ of my bird photos are still taken at the maximum zoom of 500mm, and then cropped afterwards, because I cannot fill the frame. Ironically, my 200-500 is sometimes too long for other wildlife!
    Last edited by SuzukiPiet; 2019/03/04 at 02:06 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SuzukiPiet For This Useful Post:

jds

I've seen some nice Tamron and Sigma (contemparary) 150-600mm lenses for around R9k.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SAND For This Useful Post:

jds

It seems like the guys have already covered the 150-600 sigma and tamron (g2). as well as the 70-300 (IS). Have a look on facebooks market place, I have picked a few second hand lenses there too at decent prices.
    Our Travel and Photography blog- https://twotracks.co.za

The Beast - 2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 4L with freeflow

Daily Drive- Girlfriends Honda Jazz

Hi all, thank you for the feedback. I will at least now know where to start looking. I still don't have a budget in mind, but it at leas will give me time to do some homework. Also, any advice on which glass to avoid will also be appreciated. thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gifmonster View Post
    It seems like the guys have already covered the 150-600 sigma and tamron (g2). as well as the 70-300 (IS). Have a look on facebooks market place, I have picked a few second hand lenses there too at decent prices.
    thank you, will have a look. I also checked out your IG account, some very decent images. thx.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jds For This Useful Post:

I have learnt that bodies come and go but the real value lies in the lenses. Rather save a little longer and get a really decent lens. You will keep this and replace the bodies later on. Fortunately Canon sticks to one format of lens fitting so you can retain your investment in a good lens longer. Having said that I see the new mirrorless canons use another type of connection but you get an adapter.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mars67 For This Useful Post:

https://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/buy-l...d-g2-for-canon for R19 995!! This will take a while to save up

Quote Originally Posted by Mars67 View Post
    I have learnt that bodies come and go but the real value lies in the lenses. Rather save a little longer and get a really decent lens. You will keep this and replace the bodies later on. Fortunately Canon sticks to one format of lens fitting so you can retain your investment in a good lens longer. Having said that I see the new mirrorless canons use another type of connection but you get an adapter.
    my 450d is old, but in great shape. I think I will definitely first learn to use it properly and buy some quality glass rather than the latest body. thanks for the advice.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jds For This Useful Post:

https://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/secon...m-shss51106283 @R19 500 second hand still makes me cry. Still a lot cheaper than the Canon lenses.

https://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/buy-l...d-g2-for-canon for R19 995!! This will take a while to save up
    If you are patient, and keep your eyes open; you'll get the same lense in great condition for half the price...

But I agree with you; get back into photography and learning how to use your body properly again, then look at lenses.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to SAND For This Useful Post:

jds

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    70-300. Light enough to handle and long enough to do some birds and wildlife. It will also double as a nice lens for taking pics of the family.
    https://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/secon...m-shss67700774 is this the one Riaan? Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    If you are patient, and keep your eyes open; you'll get the same lense in great condition for half the price...

But I agree with you; get back into photography and learning how to use your body properly again, then look at lenses.
    shot for the heads up, I do have time (no money saved for this) so I will be patient. please let me know if you see a good deal going somewhere.thx

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jds For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grootvlei Queen.jpg 
Views:	678 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	521170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grootvlei Queen.jpg 
Views:	678 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	521170Go with the lighter and sharper with an Electronic Diaphragm ..Tamron 150-600 G2 its KILLER sharp Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3 G2 (1).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	521168
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2019/03/04 at 03:01 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

jds

thank you, will have a look. I also checked out your IG account, some very decent images. thx.
    Thanks for the IG lookup, I need to update that soon. As for lenses to avoid, Riaan mentioned the sigma 170-500 to me, if going old and cheap rather go for sigma 150-500 apo and the 50-500.

I have a few old lenses that do not have auto-focus this is really tough when things get moving so maybe you want make sure the ones you get have working auto-focus and it is fast enough to your liking, but this may be my old nikon lens love problem. The are awesome when you get the time to sit and tweak the barrel on a non moving target.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Gifmonster For This Useful Post:

jds

Yup. There are Sigma versions or Tamron ( I think) versions also available for less.

If I can qualify my earlier statement of why I think this focal length is ok for now - the 500/ 600mm jobs are long and just heavy enough to irritate oneself with if you want multiple use out of it. For instance if around the swimming pool at home and you want to take pics of the kids jumping in the pool will have you sukkel with the longer lenses. You will end up not using the lens as much as you want and eventually say bugger this photography thing. And that I wouldn't want.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Also check the classifieds section on outdoorphoto

https://www.outdoorphoto.community/f...m-canon-mount/

I just saw a canon 200-400 went for R11k last week. But as Riaan mentioned these might be to long for the nice closeups of the kids playing etc. And start Saving once the bug has bitten again you will be having a lot of fun.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Gifmonster For This Useful Post:

jds

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast