Lens Advice Please - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Lens Advice Please

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    Good advice, except...
    This particular lens is second-hand, but still a current model (not yet superceded). As such, the buyer will be able to re-sell with minimal depreciation. This is NOT the case with most of the other lenses which have been discussed.

And as a birding lens (and particularly birds in flight), it is probably the best of all the options that have been discussed. Having said that though, the 450D is probably very limiting for BIF....
    Thank you Peter. I am far from taking good shots, especially BIF. I think a zoom lens to start of will be better for now, and being able to use it more on a regular basis, than just for birding. I played with a Canon 7d Mii over the weekend, and wow, with all the focus points and fast frame speed I would one day look into something similar for BIF. Until then I will just drool over your shots. I have found a second hand canon 70-300mm lens going for a good price on gumtree, and I think I might just go for it, as it should be sufficient for a start. Thank you for the advice and recommendations, much appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jds For This Useful Post:

Good luck with whatever you decide but realise that it is the start of a lens journey that will take many turns.

Just get out there and take picks, working them in the digital studio.

RAW, RAW, RAW format provides the greatest latitude for post corrections and creativity.

Learn to alter your focus point at will and seamlessly, learn to keep steady and to brace yourself for minimum movement.

Learn the rule of thumb on shutter speed, it is the reciprocal of the focal length. So you have a 100mm lens with a 1.6 crop factor camera = 160mm. You need to be shooting at 1/160th of a second if unsupported. So at 400mm for the 1.6 crop we are looking at 640mm or 1/640th of a second, in fading light on a F5.6 lens you will be struggling, so learn how to use ISO speed increases to mitigate this or bean bags and other support mechanisms.

Learn the relationship between f number / shutter speed / ISO. So a perfectly exposed shot may be 1/100th at F8 at ISO 100 in the daylight. However there is a chance that you distant background may be blurred and this would be undesirable. Fixing this would require say 1/100th at F11 at ISO 200 or perhaps 1/50th at F16 at ISO 200 but on a tripod.

Learn the rule of depth of field so that you can effectively blur out distracting background when taking specific subject matter or on landscape having everything in focus. Depending on distance it is normally 33% in front of the focus point and 66% behind. This is very evident on macro lenses where one has very little latitude.

Focus point is crucial, the tear duct for portraits. Eyes out of focus is a no no. Choose you focus carefully.

Learn basic composition rules that mostly work, not all the time as in some instances once specifically want to break the rule, simple things like;

- Don't place your horizon in the center of the picture, learn the rule of thirds.
    - If you have and animal like you posted, when you crop have more space at his nose, this would have him walking into frame, have more space at the rear would have him walking out of frame. Get the drift?
    - Sunsets are a great way to learn composition.
    - Try using windows, door frames, trees with overhanging branches to frame shots.

Learn exposure compensation so that you can take subjects against a bright background etc.

Man there is so much to learn and then we still get is wrong.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Good luck with whatever you decide but realise that it is the start of a lens journey that will take many turns.

Just get out there and take picks, working them in the digital studio.

RAW, RAW, RAW format provides the greatest latitude for post corrections and creativity.

Learn to alter your focus point at will and seamlessly, learn to keep steady and to brace yourself for minimum movement.

Learn the rule of thumb on shutter speed, it is the reciprocal of the focal length. So you have a 100mm lens with a 1.6 crop factor camera = 160mm. You need to be shooting at 1/160th of a second if unsupported. So at 400mm for the 1.6 crop we are looking at 640mm or 1/640th of a second, in fading light on a F5.6 lens you will be struggling, so learn how to use ISO speed increases to mitigate this or bean bags and other support mechanisms.

Learn the relationship between f number / shutter speed / ISO. So a perfectly exposed shot may be 1/100th at F8 at ISO 100 in the daylight. However there is a chance that you distant background may be blurred and this would be undesirable. Fixing this would require say 1/100th at F11 at ISO 200 or perhaps 1/50th at F16 at ISO 200 but on a tripod.

Learn the rule of depth of field so that you can effectively blur out distracting background when taking specific subject matter or on landscape having everything in focus. Depending on distance it is normally 33% in front of the focus point and 66% behind. This is very evident on macro lenses where one has very little latitude.

Focus point is crucial, the tear duct for portraits. Eyes out of focus is a no no. Choose you focus carefully.

Learn basic composition rules that mostly work, not all the time as in some instances once specifically want to break the rule, simple things like;

- Don't place your horizon in the center of the picture, learn the rule of thirds.
    - If you have and animal like you posted, when you crop have more space at his nose, this would have him walking into frame, have more space at the rear would have him walking out of frame. Get the drift?
    - Sunsets are a great way to learn composition.
    - Try using windows, door frames, trees with overhanging branches to frame shots.

Learn exposure compensation so that you can take subjects against a bright background etc.

Man there is so much to learn and then we still get is wrong.
    Wow Andrew thanks so much for taking the time to share so much knowledge and info. I really appreciate it. So so much to learn. Thx again kind Sir.

The most versatile lens in my bag is the Sigma 50/500, it allows reasonable panaramic pics as well as good zoom shots, without the need to change lenses on the fly...my passion is wild life but from time to time I also do events work, this is where this lense excels, can do wide and close up shots without changing positions.

i recently bought a whole "bag" of photographic paraphernalia which included a few lenses and a second Sigma 50-500 ..... I find it strange that this lense was not more popular.... The second lens is now for sale...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    The most versatile lens in my bag is the Sigma 50/500, it allows reasonable panaramic pics as well as good zoom shots, without the need to change lenses on the fly...my passion is wild life but from time to time I also do events work, this is where this lense excels, can do wide and close up shots without changing positions.

i recently bought a whole "bag" of photographic paraphernalia which included a few lenses and a second Sigma 50-500 ..... I find it strange that this lense was not more popular.... The second lens is now for sale...

Do you have a price on the Sigma 50-500 that you selling?

Hi all, just want to share one of my first pics with the new (second hand new) lense.

Cheers

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jds For This Useful Post:

Were you on tripod? Looks a little soft. Have you sharpened the photo or do you have in camera sharpening set?

I would have taken it in portrait and excluded the structure on the left

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

Hi Andrew,

Thank you. Yes I was using the tripod. The structure is quite far away and i pushes the lens to the max, maybe contributing to the softness. I did not do any editing on the image.

Bit the bullet and bought the Tamron (2014) 16-300mm. I chose it over the Tamron 18-400 because:
    4-5 stops of Vibration compensation (VC) (90% success at 3 stops, 65% at 4 stops and 40% at 5 stops below vs better ones at 50% at 4 stops);
    Outer ring doesn't move (circular polarisers work);
    Focus ring remains stationary during autofocus (continuous manual focus works);
    Minimum focus distance of 39cm fills with a 6cm subject; and
    The weight is nearly the same as the 75-300.
    (I have no idea what creamy bokeh means.)

The (2017) 18-400:
    Can only do 2.5 VC stops (max);
    Outer ring moves (circular polarisers donít work without constantly adjusting);
    Macro from 45cm only; and
    Costs R1k more (minor consideration).

Canonís marketing should be shot. The (2016) EOS 1300D came with the (2015) 18 Ė 55, which can do four stops of image stabilisation (IS) and thus, is fine, but the (1996) 75 Ė 300 can only do 1.6 IS stops, which meant I deleted almost all of these shots.

I took it to Kirstenbosch yesterday and enjoyed playing with the new lens in the overcast conditions vs the pain of the other two lenses. One lens does both jobs and is so much easier to use. My keep ratio has increased between 400% and 500%. I did notice that a couple of shots were overexposed (donít know what to do about that yet) and I need to increase my depth of field (f stop) on macro shots (in AV mode I presume). Iím somewhat surprised that the colour saturation wasnít as good as my film camera on overcast days.

My question is, shall I turn off Canonís IS? That is, is the Tamronís VC competing with the cameraís IS?
    Renault Duster 4WD Gen1: No Meow

I returned to Kirstenbosch and put the body in AV mode to manually set the f stop. I shot everything at either f40 or f22. f22 produced brighter pics than f40 even though it usually shot in half the time (1/15 second vs 1/30 sec, etc.) with no camera shake in either. Next, I'll try less than f14 to find my general depth of field preference.

General depth of field preference?

Depth of field is something you should be adjusting in accordance with the goals of the photo you are taking, not a general preference...

Just my two cents.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Agreed. In post 90 I said that I needed "to increase my depth of field" as I wasn't happy with what the camera chose in automagic mode. So, if I'm shooting a moving target, say a sunbird, I want to set my f stop manually first then let the camera / lens try to stop the critter. If it can, given my restriction on the aperture, then I'll probably be more happy with the results. That is, I really won't have time to preview the depth of field while shooting such a subject. When a sunbird lands on a strelitzia, I want the bird and flower to be in focus. The camera / lens is easily fooled by any movement of wind on the flower or bird landing and shifts focus accordingly.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Butch Dassie For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5