Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Discovery 2015 SDV6 SE with 63k on the clock. PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE. Should I buy

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post
    So its a great deal. Under R 400k. Full service book. Looks fantastic and Iím ready to pull the trigger.

My needs:
    -Must able to go where my Paj 3.8 with 70mm lift goes
    -Must be able to haul my Conqueror Commander up and down Southern Africa

Questions:

-Anything I should be weary of?
    -Fuel consumption: 8.8 L /100?
    -Can extra fuel tank be fitted
    -Consumption during towing?

In all, Iím a bit apprehensive. My 4x4 journey started about 25 years ago but Iíve never been close to a Landy, so a guess Iím a virgin?
    If all checks out, this is a fantastic deal. I sold my HSE SDV6 2015 last year, and was offered in the trade just on R400K. Still have my offer from We Buy Cars just as a reminder, so that price not impossible. I have owned 3 of them, all diesels, all 3 never had any problems and still miss having one.

When the vehicle is still under warrantee, nothing to be worried about, LR will look after you and the vehicle very well. You might want to remind LR of a knocking sound from the front at about 80 000km, LR will replace all the control arm bushes. All three my disco's were done at about that milage, twice LR just done it as they heard the noise.

In town I averaged about 11l/100, open road closer to 9, and then with our Companion in tow anywhere from 10 to 14, obviously depending on speed and weight.

Jola did explain about the extra fuel tank. I never bothered with that as I just loaded some jerry cans on the roof rack and always had the van in tow on expeditions with the extra 40L. When back at home it was just a normal pavement crawler again without any add-ons.

I also never experienced any problems with the 19" rims, I just always made sure that I had the best, in my opinion, tyres for the job at hand, and always had good service from the Pirelli Scorpions. I was very keen to try the new GY AT's, but sold the vehicle before I could try them out.

I a nutshell, awesome vehicle, very capable, and I will buy one tomorrow if I had the opportunity again.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    - Leonardo Da Vinci
    Also on

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rooikop For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Discovery 2015 SDV6 SE with 63k on the clock. PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE. Should I buy

Quote Originally Posted by HJB01 View Post
    And its these type of comments that results in several forum mombers leaving the forum after being bombarded with unwanted negativity.
    Strangely I'm just bombarding him with a reality check. We can have the same debate on any vehicle that has a high maintenance profile, I'm no brand basher. As for leaving the forum: I'm on the verge of leaving because Johnny-come-latelys seem to think they now own the forum.

Maybe if you've been here for 10 years and have CONTRIBUTED you'd understand the difference.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Jelo: I for one value your contributions highly. Plse do not leave. A lot of people have learnt a lot from you and people like you and your responses are one the main reasons I stay on the forum. You are always objective and realistic.

Darron John Misplon
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES Manual
    BMW F30 320i Sport Auto
    BMW R1200 GS
    Hobie 14 Turbo

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Darron For This Useful Post:

There is probably not a single vehicle that comes close to the Discovery when it comes to capability, luxury, size and fuel-economy. That being said (and as Jelo mentioned), if things go wrong it can be pricey.

As long as you are aware of the monthly and potential future costs (and you are financially in a position to cater for them), you can go ahead and I trust you will enjoy the vehicle (if you are not one of the unlucky few).
    Last edited by SuzukiPiet; 2019/03/01 at 09:59 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuzukiPiet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Strangely I'm just bombarding him with a reality check. We can have the same debate on any vehicle that has a high maintenance profile, I'm no brand basher. As for leaving the forum: I'm on the verge of leaving because Johnny-come-latelys seem to think they now own the forum.

Maybe if you've been here for 10 years and have CONTRIBUTED you'd understand the difference.
    Sadly, no one seems to have the same debate on other vehicles.. or wait.. I dont own another brand so I never go check those debates perhaps. Nor post there

And what on earth does number of years active or contribution have to do with anything? High post count not maketh an expert surely?
    Some car, some bike and two legs

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hcs For This Useful Post:

OK so let's see. R400k over 5 years is around R200k in interest?

Plus insurance at R3k per month?

Bit extreme? My insurance on my D4 at R800K was only R1200 per month.
    Bruce Hunter. 2021 Defender D240HSE,2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by hcs View Post
    Sadly, no one seems to have the same debate on other vehicles.. or wait.. I dont own another brand so I never go check those debates perhaps. Nor post there
    Sorry that you closet yourself. Your choice. But you miss out on seeing the issues (or not) of other brands and models. And they do debate: go onto the Jeep section and have a look. And I have owned both brands among others. Common sense and good advice remains that. If one of the forum members wanted to buy a Jeep GC WK CRD I'd have a few comments.

And what on earth does number of years active or contribution have to do with anything? High post count not maketh an expert surely?
    The context is that a Noob that joined yesterday in relative terms moans about people leaving. If people leave because one or two brand haters exist, then maybe they should grow a skin?

What if every Series or Defender owner left because somebody had an opinion?
    What if every Wrangler or Grand Cherokee owner left for the same reason?
    Ditto D1 and D2 owners?
    Shame, I also own a Tata. Have at it if you wish.

Yet apparently Discovery 3 & 4 leave because they got cranky?

Hell, guys, go look at unmoderated overseas forums if you want to see some slagging. Crickey, just grow a pair.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Go to the Toyota section: rust issues on new Fortuner being discussed freely and prospective owners being informed.
    Go to the Suzuki section: clutch (and fuel consumption) issues on Grand Vitara being discussed freely and prospective owners being informed.
    Go to the Jeep section: more of the same.
    Go to ANY section and you will notice that it is not just the Discovery 3/4.

Here we have a R1mil car being sold for 40% of new price (and 75% of market-price) and a simple warning of potential running costs has (too many of) current Discovery owners in tears!

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SuzukiPiet For This Useful Post:

No, but surely at some time you should take your head outta your ass. There are many potential pitfalls and Bank
    breaking problems that come with a TDV6 ownership and warning people of such is a community service.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gieds For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiPiet View Post
    Go to the Toyota section: rust issues on new Fortuner being discussed freely and prospective owners being informed.
    Go to the Suzuki section: clutch (and fuel consumption) issues on Grand Vitara being discussed freely and prospective owners being informed.
    Go to the Jeep section: more of the same.
    Go to ANY section and you will notice that it is not just the Discovery 3/4.
    Go to the Ford section and check out the Ranger issues
    Let's not even talk about Amarok and bus EGR cooler issues

and so we can go on.

Or maybe we should ONLY allow nice positive comments? Because we might offend somebody who needs to feel good about his latest purchase?
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Gieds View Post
    No, but surely at some time you should take your head outta your ass. There are many potential pitfalls and Bank
    breaking problems that come with a TDV6 ownership and warning people of such is a community service.
    This discussion is about the SDV6
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Andrť Opperman

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    same thing in essence, not much difference and we have established it is the same crank AFAIK
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    The SDV6 is also cranky....
    Bruce Hunter. 2021 Defender D240HSE,2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

same thing in essence, not much difference and we have established it is the same crank AFAIK
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    The SDV6 is also cranky....
    Fully aware of that fact.

Gieds should just make sure that he quotes the correct "model" if he wants to point out faults
    Last edited by Oppies3800; 2019/03/01 at 10:47 AM.

Andrť Opperman

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  4.4 KB

Sjo, thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments, good and cranky. Although cranky seems to have a whole different meaning here.

So the deal was to good to be true. Apparently not available when I called first thing this morning. But SWAMBO is now adamant that this should be our next 4x4

Im now looking at a few on the market all around 75k on the clock. 2015 starting from R 475k.

After the responses I have a whole new set of questions:

-Is the factory warranty extendable?
    -Is the crank issue not only on models before 2013?
    -Iíve driven 4x4ís all my adult life starting with the Jeep brand 10 years then Toyota 5 years, Nissan 5 and Pajero to date. All have headache days. The specs of the Disco is way better than the Paj so it should handle the Commander well. Itís around 1.2ton. I had hoped someone had this combination already to confirm?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Sjo, thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments, good and cranky. Although cranky seems to have a whole different meaning here.

So the deal was to good to be true. Apparently not available when I called first thing this morning. But SWAMBO is now adamant that this should be our next 4x4

Im now looking at a few on the market all around 75k on the clock. 2015 starting from R 475k.

After the responses I have a whole new set of questions:

-Is the factory warranty extendable? Yes. At a premium
    -Is the crank issue not only on models before 2013? Not necessarily and might be too early to tell.
    -Iíve driven 4x4ís all my adult life starting with the Jeep brand 10 years then Toyota 5 years, Nissan 5 and Pajero to date. All have headache days. The specs of the Disco is way better than the Paj so it should handle the Commander well. Itís around 1.2ton. I had hoped someone had this combination already to confirm? I'm pretty darn sure it will handle it just fine.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    Have you considered the V8? Does it need to be diesel or 2015+ model?
    Last edited by douglash; 2019/03/01 at 02:40 PM.
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - Lots of Mods(check thread) - [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD
    Youtube Channel <-- Click Here

-Is the crank issue not only on models before 2013?
    Nope. Can happen to any year model

Andrť Opperman

And the main problem is IF the crank on 2015 models go, it goes to dealer to get fixed, so we can't tell. LR won't release that information I'm sure.
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - Lots of Mods(check thread) - [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD
    Youtube Channel <-- Click Here

OK so let's see. R400k over 5 years is around R200k in interest?
    Iím not financing. So interest = 0?

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast