Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Discovery 2015 SDV6 SE with 63k on the clock. PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE. Should I buy

So its a great deal. Under R 400k. Full service book. Looks fantastic and Iím ready to pull the trigger.

My needs:
    -Must able to go where my Paj 3.8 with 70mm lift goes
    -Must be able to haul my Conqueror Commander up and down Southern Africa

Questions:

-Anything I should be weary of?
    -Fuel consumption: 8.8 L /100?
    -Can extra fuel tank be fitted
    -Consumption during towing?

In all, Iím a bit apprehensive. My 4x4 journey started about 25 years ago but Iíve never been close to a Landy, so a guess Iím a virgin?

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Default Re: Discovery 2015 SDV6 SE with 63k on the clock. PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE. Should I buy

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post
    So its a great deal. Under R 400k. Full service book. Looks fantastic and Iím ready to pull the trigger.

My needs:

Questions:

In all, Iím a bit apprehensive. My 4x4 journey started about 25 years ago but Iíve never been close to a Landy, so a guess Iím a virgin?

Looks like a good deal, low mileage and low price. There should be at least another year left on the warranty.

The question should be why is it so cheap ? Accident ? If it is clean then it is a bargain.

The D4 lifts higher than other 4x4's because of the air suspension and the way that it works (additional lift when in Low Range, etc). You can also lift it higher with rods or by using IIDtool (software settings).

You can fit an additional fuel tank where the spare wheel goes, but then you have to make another plan for the spare wheel.

I don't know anything about a Conqueror Commander, but you don't even feel a BushLapa Boskriek behind a D4. 850Kg empty.

Fuel consumption is difficult, at the moment my D4 seems to be quite good, but it changes with tyres, speed, etc.

Some people are unhappy with the 19" rims, but if you use good tyres like Goodyear Duratracs it should be fine. I went through Kaokoveld incl Van Zyl's recently, and no problems with the 19" rims - but not with a caravan !

But some owners put 18" rims on. Compomotives (from the UK) work as is, if you use D3 18" rims your front brakes calipers wil touch and you need to make a plan (grind calipers down, or spacers, etc). I now have a set of Compomotives and use BFG KO2 265/65r18 tyres. A little bigger than spec (255/60r18 for 18" rims).

Good luck with your decision, a D4 is a great ride.
    Discovery 1 1995 V8i 3.9l (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

Default Re: Discovery 2015 SDV6 SE with 63k on the clock. PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE. Should I buy

For extra peace mind I would get the Innovations warranty, the vehicle will qualify for their top one I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    For extra peace mind I would get the Innovations warranty, the vehicle will qualify for their top one I think.
    People seem to have had good experiences with these warranties, nice piece of mind on an awesome vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Yes, but you would not need that yet, if 2015 then should have at least a year left on the Factory Warranty.

I have the Innovations warranty, managed to get the top tier, but my vehicle is 2014 and the warranty expired this January (2019).
    Last edited by Jola; 2019/03/01 at 07:14 AM.
    Discovery 1 1995 V8i 3.9l (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

My needs:

Questions:

This will not end well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gieds View Post
    This will not end well.
    That is a bit of a sweeping statement to make, care to explain your view ?

Have you ever driven a D4 ?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jola For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    That is a bit of a sweeping statement to make, care to explain your view ?

Have you ever driven a D4 ?
    First, I do not need to drive a D4, to know it for what it is. I do own a D3 and have been through 2 terminal failures.
    Apart from the obvious potential problems that is well documented this deal seems too good to be true, most 2015
    D4's with low KM sell for well above 400000.

Yes, but you would not need that yet, if 2015 then should have at least a year left on the Factory Warranty.

I have the Innovations warranty, managed to get the top tier, but my vehicle is 2014 and the warranty expired this January (2019).

I will take the Innovations option... Just for that 1 reason that could happen
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Andrť Opperman

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    I will take the Innovations option... Just for that 1 reason that could happen
    Yes, but you don't need it while the vehicle is still under factory warranty. That is all that I am saying.

... this deal seems too good to be true, most 2015
    D4's with low KM sell for well above 400000.
    Yes, can't disagree with that, the price seems a bit low.

But one could check the vehicle history with Landrover, and also get a free inspection (as it is under warranty).

I am aware of a 2014 D4, with over 100k, that was recently traded in for R400k. But in this case the owner dumped it on a dealer as he was emigrating to Australia.

So yes, R400k for a 2015 with 63k is a bit suspect. However, if it all checks out then it is a bargain.
    Last edited by Jola; 2019/03/01 at 07:48 AM.

OK so let's see. R400k over 5 years is around R200k in interest?

So R600k that is R10k per month minimum?

Plus insurance at R3k per month?

Plus fuel @ R1.20/km?

So a conservative mileage is around 1000km / month or around R1200k.

So cost of ownership PER MONTH is over R20k once you look at extra warranties. I'm not even looking at tyres every 50,000km @ R15k a set because that adds another grand a month and then we have a minimum of one service per year and I think the next one is a major service?

Just so that you don't "struggle" with the Paj fuel consumption?

On top of that, you still have all the high cost issues around the D4 SDV6 to deal with:
    - suspension compressor
    - suspension air bags
    - crank shaft
    - oil pump
    - water pump
    - timing belts
    - control arms

Etc.

Because @ 1000kms per month this vehicle was ONLY a short distance mommy taxi or else a weekend cruiser, and both usages have their issues.

I'm not sure I understand. I really don't.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    ok so let's see. R400k over 5 years is around r200k in interest?

So r600k that is r10k per month minimum?

Plus insurance at r3k per month?

Plus fuel @ r1.20/km?

So a conservative mileage is around 1000km / month or around r1200k.

So cost of ownership per month is over r20k once you look at extra warranties. I'm not even looking at tyres every 50,000km @ r15k a set because that adds another grand a month and then we have a minimum of one service per year and i think the next one is a major service?

Just so that you don't "struggle" with the paj fuel consumption?

On top of that, you still have all the high cost issues around the d4 sdv6 to deal with:
    - suspension compressor
    - suspension air bags
    - crank shaft
    - oil pump
    - water pump
    - timing belts
    - control arms

etc.

Because @ 1000kms per month this vehicle was only a short distance mommy taxi or else a weekend cruiser, and both usages have their issues.

I'm not sure i understand. I really don't.
    have you ever driven a d4, huh, have you

So most of that applies to every other 4x4, what is your point ?

That 4x4's are expensive ? To buy and run ?

Do the same exercise on a Landcruiser, plus R30k to lift the suspension, etc, etc.

Insurance, fuel, tyres, interest, etc costs the same.

So most of that applies to every other 4x4, what is your point ?

That 4x4's are expensive ? To buy and run ?

Do the same exercise on a Landcruiser, plus R30k to lift the suspension, etc, etc.

Insurance, fuel, tyres, interest, etc costs the same.
    You asked me that question what was your point, mine was sarcasm.

S

-Anything I should be weary of? - Lots of people will be telling you all sorts of things - mostly because they love bashing LR
    -Fuel consumption: 8.8 L /100? - I get around 9,5l/100km on open road and 11,0 in town
    -Can extra fuel tank be fitted - yes, but spare would have to be moved to back of vehicle. Not cheap.
    -Consumption during towing? - Towing an Imagine Comfort van without any problems. Hardly feel it. Consumption varies between 13,5l/100 and 15l/100

?
    I have kept 19" rims and run Duratrac. So far so good after about 40 000kms.
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6S
    2008 Discovery 3 TDV6S (SWAMBO)
    Imagine Comfortvan

This is about logic and mathematics and budget not about a brand or model. Does Zapiture fully grasp that a R1m+ vehicle bought for R400k still requires the maintenance costs of a R1m+ vehicle? And that the Disco 3 & 4 can become money pits? And that on top of his R20k per month he needs to possibly add R5-10K for future issues?

But once again we have the brand faithful with their knee jerk reaction.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

You asked me that question what was your point, mine was sarcasm.
    Ok

This is about logic and mathematics and budget not about a brand or model. Does Zapiture fully grasp that a R1m+ vehicle bought for R400k still requires the maintenance costs of a R1m+ vehicle? And that the Disco 3 & 4 can become money pits? And that on top of his R20k per month he needs to possibly add R5-10K for future issues?

And the opposite knee jerk reaction from the haters.

OP, it looks like a good deal, but almost too good.

Do your research and have it checked out by Landrover.

If all is good, just buy it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jola For This Useful Post:

And its these type of comments that results in several forum mombers leaving the forum after being bombarded with unwanted negativity.
    Bush Lapa Miskruier: B116

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HJB01 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast