North-Kafue: Mayukuyuku or Mapunga camp?

Default North-Kafue: Mayukuyuku or Mapunga camp?

Hi all,

We are planning our next Africa trip for June, going to Zambia after being in Namibia and Botswana 1,5 year ago. In Zambia we want to spend 6 nights in Kafue, visiting 2 camps in the South (Hippo Bay and Kaingu) and one in the North. I am looking at different maps and I see that rivers form a natural boundary, due to which I think it is important to pick the right campsite since we really like to make game drives early morning and end of the afternoon.
    We are looking into Mayukuyuku and Mapunga camp. Mayukuyuku has a really nice camp, but seems to be a bit locked in between the river and the M9, while Mapunga is a on the Moshi road and seems to have a wider 'reach'.
    In order to get from Mayukuyuku to Moshi road, it seems that you always need to travel via the M9. For an early morning drive, that seems a bit long to reach that area.

Does anyone (based on other threads I am pretty sure there is) have experience with the area and can help me with the decision? Which area is better for game viewing / driving, considering we have 2 nights?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Kind regards,
    Ronald

Default Re: North-Kafue: Mayukuyuku or Mapunga camp?

Hi,

Based on my Kafue experience you have to drive quite long on Moshi road to see animals when going north.

If I have 2 days / nights.I will go to Kafala rapids camp and from there full day trip to Busanga plains.

Busanga is the best place to see lots of animals in Northern Kafue.

-juha

Last edited by Juha S.; 2019/03/01 at 11:24 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Juha S. For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rleenstra View Post
    Hi all,

We are planning our next Africa trip for June, going to Zambia after being in Namibia and Botswana 1,5 year ago. In Zambia we want to spend 6 nights in Kafue, visiting 2 camps in the South (Hippo Bay and Kaingu) and one in the North. I am looking at different maps and I see that rivers form a natural boundary, due to which I think it is important to pick the right campsite since we really like to make game drives early morning and end of the afternoon.
    We are looking into Mayukuyuku and Mapunga camp. Mayukuyuku has a really nice camp, but seems to be a bit locked in between the river and the M9, while Mapunga is a on the Moshi road and seems to have a wider 'reach'.
    In order to get from Mayukuyuku to Moshi road, it seems that you always need to travel via the M9. For an early morning drive, that seems a bit long to reach that area.

Does anyone (based on other threads I am pretty sure there is) have experience with the area and can help me with the decision? Which area is better for game viewing / driving, considering we have 2 nights?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Kind regards,
    Ronald
    The drive over the M9 is indeed quite long. Why don't you stay at Kasabushi ? It is inside the park, has some awesome drives close by and gives yo a good opportunity for a trip on the river. Kafwala is nice too I must admit, but personally we prefer Kasabushi. But .. once we will have to try to reach the Busanga plains.
    And in anyway from Hippobay I would go down the spinal road and stay at Kasabushi.
    Last edited by wschulte; 2019/03/04 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by wschulte View Post
    The drive over the M9 is indeed quite long. Why don't you stay at Kasabushi ? It is inside the park, has some awesome drives close by and gives yo a good opportunity for a trip on the river. Kafwala is nice too I must admit, but personally we prefer Kasabushi. But .. once we will have to try to reach the Busanga plains.
    And in anyway from Hippobay I would go down the spinal road and stay at Kasabushi.
    Hi wschulte,

Thanks for the reply, appreciated. We will stay in Kafue for in total 6 nights, starting in Hippo Bay, then Kasabushi and then somewhere in the North part. I understand that June is still to early for Busanga plains, so we will skip that and explore the area just north of the M9.

Quote Originally Posted by rleenstra View Post
    Hi wschulte,

Thanks for the reply, appreciated. We will stay in Kafue for in total 6 nights, starting in Hippo Bay, then Kasabushi and then somewhere in the North part. I understand that June is still to early for Busanga plains, so we will skip that and explore the area just north of the M9.

Hi Rieenstra,

As Juah said, in the North you will just start seeing animals from Kafwala upwards. On our last visit (2016) we stayed at Mayukuyuku and it took us 1.5-2 hrs to reach the area. So my choice now, would be Mapunga to visit the area, even if you do not plan to go further to Busanga. Near Mayukuyuku, the place to look for animals would be south of the M9 on the Mukambi loops and adjacent area. The loops around the Mayukuyuku camp are quite overgrown and you probably will to see much, so easily. Nevertheless we really enjoyed our stay at Mayukuyuku, a beautiful camp, with nice and friendly people.

Hippobay sits on a beautiful area, and you could easily use it to explore the southern reaches of the park (Nanzhila Plains).

Plan and enjoy.

AP
    Last edited by apfac; 2019/03/05 at 12:07 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to apfac For This Useful Post: