Small solar kit

Thread: Small solar kit

Default Small solar kit

http://www.sunfire.co.za/wp/product/...r-home-system/

Has anybody used these? Thinking getting one for the two/ three night camps we do. For lighting ( if really needed) and charging cellphones. Sells for 600 bucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Default Re: Small solar kit

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post

Has anybody used these? Thinking getting one for the two/ three night camps we do. For lighting ( if really needed) and charging cellphones. Sells for 600 bucks.
    A Friend of mine got one and it works like a charm!! I am getting one as well, at the China shops they sell for R450.00

Quote Originally Posted by Lappies View Post
    A Friend of mine got one and it works like a charm!! I am getting one as well, at the China shops they sell for R450.00
    Thanks Lappies, didn't think of looking at the China Shop to see if they have them here.

I have 2 sets similar to that. They work fantastic and take up very little space.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

What batteries do they have, those little alarm lead acids?

One has a 6v alarm jobbie and the other has a set of smaller rechargeables.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Riaan,

I have a non-solar setup that might also be worth considering.

2 gate-motor batteries, that fit tightly into tiny ammo boxes (name?).
    Each of these has a Lumeno battery buddy on top. This means that you can charge them from a ciggarette lighter port in the vehicle or from 220V wherever. During day-time driving we'll charge the one that we have been using.

Then an assortment of Lumeno splitter cables, lights, even a remote switch. Honestly I think we recharge the batteries way before it's required, as they last long.
    For USB, you can add a ciggie-port USB adapter.
    You can add pretty much anything that is light load and can work off a cigarette light port. We've used a 12v fan as well in this way.

Have a look at the Lumeno range; and let me know if you have questions on my setup.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toccata (Roelof) For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Toccata (Roelof) View Post
    Riaan,

I have a non-solar setup that might also be worth considering.

2 gate-motor batteries, that fit tightly into tiny ammo boxes (name?).
    Each of these has a Lumeno battery buddy on top. This means that you can charge them from a ciggarette lighter port in the vehicle or from 220V wherever. During day-time driving we'll charge the one that we have been using.

Then an assortment of Lumeno splitter cables, lights, even a remote switch. Honestly I think we recharge the batteries way before it's required, as they last long.
    For USB, you can add a ciggie-port USB adapter.
    You can add pretty much anything that is light load and can work off a cigarette light port. We've used a 12v fan as well in this way.

Have a look at the Lumeno range; and let me know if you have questions on my setup.
    Thank you Roelof, charging the batteries from the vehicle won't work for me, we drive very little with the car when at the places we frequent. Good advice for those who do though!

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post

There are a number of similar chinese ones on the market and they all seem pretty much the same. Mine is very similar to the one pictured but different name and they are the bomb. Had ours set up in a remote ablution block with no lights. Way better than brushing your teeth by head lamp light. The phone charger Octopus"is a"bit flimsy though. We used it for about 5 days like that and in the kitchen area. No issues.

On that note; I also used a bunch of these solar fairy lights. They cast light at about full moon strength around the camp. Made the camp look very pretty and meant you did not need head lamps to walk around.
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Biggles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    There are a number of similar chinese ones on the market and they all seem pretty much the same. Mine is very similar to the one pictured but different name and they are the bomb. Had ours set up in a remote ablution block with no lights. Way better than brushing your teeth by head lamp light. The phone charger Octopus"is a"bit flimsy though. We used it for about 5 days like that and in the kitchen area. No issues.

On that note; I also used a bunch of these solar fairy lights. They cast light at about full moon strength around the camp. Made the camp look very pretty and meant you did not need head lamps to walk around.
    Thanks Biggles. Will visit the local "China Shop" as soon as I have time - they apparently have a whole range of these type of things, will check out the fairy lights also.