Taking meat into Botswana and going North

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Taking meat into Botswana and going North

Hi all

I know this topic has been raised many many times, but I still have no real clarity.

Recent reports say meat cannot be taken north and with the new president all meat across vet lines are confiscated, no matter whether you are travelling north or south. Any recent experiences you can share with us regarding this topic?

We are going north after 15 March travelling past maun to Moremi, Chobi to Kasane.

Feedback is appreciated!
    2012 Pajero Sport
    2008 Lancer

Default Re: Taking meat into Botswana and going North

Quote Originally Posted by W007W View Post
    Hi all

I know this topic has been raised many many times, but I still have no real clarity.

Recent reports say meat cannot be taken north and with the new president all meat across vet lines are confiscated, no matter whether you are travelling north or south. Any recent experiences you can share with us regarding this topic?

We are going north after 15 March travelling past maun to Moremi, Chobe to Kasane.

Feedback is appreciated!

Where is this info coming from - can you please show the source?
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Meat was sold in Botswana the last time I looked. In large quantities. And the rest of Southern Africa.

Beef stew is the staple around this part of the world.

Every day there's at least a thread about bringing meat into Namibia, Botswana, Moz...

I am confused...is it a SA thing to take your own meat with you ( nice and good quality as it is, I won't deny that...).

#confused

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Currently you are not allowed to bring meat from SA into Botswana (meat from cloven hoofed animals as per the F&M regulations). This past Sunday I had to wipe my feet on entering BW from RSA.

I cannot comment on the meat going north, nor the new President's involvement. (As Walter said... please reveal your source of information ) .

I've been here in Botswana for 18 years. I have never brought any meat from SA across the border, neither have I ever suffered from meat starvation.
    Kobus

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

Lees hier en kontak gerus die dame. Hul het die slaghuis op Lobatse.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ing-in-Lobatse
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    I was going to highlight that too,and ask a similar question. President doesn't decide, its the Veterinary department, that instruct and confiscate the meat products.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    was from a person travelling up into Botswana weekly.. According to him, the influence of the new president is seen everywhere... but OK... minor point and possibly false information...

Thanks to those who answered the question... We will make small changes to our route in order to procure meat up north. We are going into Central Kalahari first, hence taking enough with us..we were not planning on needing to stop at shops.

Thanks though!
    Last edited by W007W; 2019/02/27 at 03:39 PM.
    2012 Pajero Sport
    2008 Lancer

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    I was going to highlight that too,and ask a similar question. President doesn't decide, its the Veterinary department, that instruct and confiscate the meat products.
    Not true.

It is the guy at the gate that decides what will be confiscated. Most likely guided by when his last meal was.

Quote Originally Posted by JCARS View Post
    Not true.

It is the guy at the gate that decides what will be confiscated. Most likely guided by when his last meal was.
    Funny you say that. People at the entrance i guided by policy from the department of veterinary Services, thats why even at the Vet fence, there is a LIST on the board, that state what should be confiscated, OR if there is a press release ADDING or DEDUCTING items on that list.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    ...... there is a LIST on the board, that state what should be confiscated, OR if there is a press release ADDING or DEDUCTING items on that list.

Correct. And any traveler feeling his meat is about to be confiscated without reason can ask for that list to be shown to him.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

was from a person travelling up into Botswana weekly.. According to him, the influence of the new president is seen everywhere... but OK... minor point and possibly false information...

Thanks to those who answered the question... We will make small changes to our route in order to procure meat up north. We are going into Central Kalahari first, hence taking enough with us..we were not planning on needing to stop at shops.

Thanks though!
    Okay, once again FAKE NEWS or HEARSAY

So this is then sorted out
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Thanks though!

But W007W I think it has been clearly stated that no meat products may be taken into Botswana from RSA (including certian transporting restrictions- get yourself versed in these). If you do you're breaking the law.

If going to CKGR then you should consider stopping off in Palapye (Spar/Choppies/Fruit&Veg/butcheries) to stock up, it will not take so much time. The beef is great!

Not true.

I guess the highlighted note above is in jest! If not then it is in bad taste.

For reasons I already explained, I and many others prefer to take their food along and not spend time shopping on the way.

We are now stuck with the reality that certain foods may not be taken into Botswana from South Africa.

The reason that there are so many of these threads and so much confusion stems from the fact that there is NO consistency or clarity on what the rules are.

The term "imported" has no definition. On this forum it has been discussed and there are those that say it refers to importation for own consumption and others say it means importation for resale. The directive does not state which is the correct interpretation.

The types of food prohibited for "importation" changes all the time. Potatoes for instance are prohibited for "importation" from such and such a date and then not being prohibited again from such and such a date.

Chicken is another example.

I cannot find any reference to an official ban on chicken "imports".(except maybe cloven hooved chickens...genetically modified)
    lekhubu943

Join DateJan 2010LocationPretoriaAge50Posts7,850

Re: Meat and Fruits/Vegetables in Botswana

You will not be able to take uncooked red meat through. Chicken should be fine.

Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/02/25 at 12:55 PM.

And from another forum:
    Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:08 pm
    Just returned from Bots today. No meat or poultry allowed in. Also only vegetables that grow underground are allowed in. Checks at borders and vet fences have been stepped up.

It will take some doing to convince me that the guy at the gate is kept up to date with these constant changes.

This you may deduct from the post by a member who quoted Dr Phokoje from Vet Services who asked to be called if certain things are being confiscated illegally. It implies she is aware of the fact that legal stuff gets confiscated illegally.

Problem is, no one knows for sure what the illegal goods are, hence the many questions in this regard on this and other forums.

And that is why the guy at the gate is a law onto himself and he makes the rules as he sees fit.

This debate and questions have been going on for very long and it will carry on until the powers that be in Botswana publish clear and unambiguous rules and do not change them constantly depending on the season and the market on the day. It would also help if these directives are published in advance to aid planning.

There is no point in castigating people who ask the members of this forum what the latest information is. It will always be necessary so please assist with real information if you may have it because this is information that is in daily flux.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JCARS For This Useful Post:

Website botswanatourism.co.bw then importation of goods. This will tell you BUT be warned that the department of agriculture will implement restrictions from time to time.

This happens mainly when there is an outbreak of Foot and Mouth and also importation restrictions on other agricultural goods that are being controlled so that one is forced to buy from local producers.

The following consumer goods may be imported for private use without an import permit, provided they do not exceed the maximum allowable quantities.
    Key: PP-per person. PF-per family

Red meat, goat, lamb

The regulations on importing meat products change frequently, because they are based on disease outbreaks in different countries. Always ask customs officials upon arrival what are the specific regulations.

Upon arrival the horse has already bolted.

Months after the F&M restrictions, the website still has it that you may import red meat.(except if you ask the custom official upon arrival with your meat if it is OK to import and he says it is not OK).

I rest my case.
    Last edited by JCARS; 2019/02/28 at 10:58 PM.

As explained above the rules are adapted to the situation in the region.

If there is FMD in some neighbouring areas the red meat is immediately stopped. Wit the bird-flu outbreak poultry can be banned then there is the seasonal blockage of fresh produce like tomatoes, gherkins, potatoes and onions, etc which is to protect the local producers for some time.

So nothing is cast in stone and it can change at very short notice.
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

[QUOTE JCARS

Re: Meat and Fruits/Vegetables in Botswana
    You will not be able to take uncooked red meat through. Chicken should be fine.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/02/25 at 12:55 PM.

And from another forum:
    Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:08 pm
    Just returned from Bots today. No meat or poultry allowed in. Also only vegetables that grow underground are allowed in. Checks at borders and vet fences have been stepped up.

.[/QUOTE]

JCARS, not only do you quote selectively and out of context, but you are confusing 2 different issues in the above two quotes from your post #14 on this thread.

My post (the first quote in the jumble you posted/tried to quote) was in response to a question asked by a member if he will be able to take meat from Kasane to Kukonje island. Post #192 and #193 in the Taking meat to Botswana sticky thread. That is NORTH to SOUTH through 2 major vet fences and has never, ever been allowed!

The second post you quoted has to do with a border crossing. Again: there is currently a ban on the movement of any raw meat from any cloven hoofed animal out of SA to any neighbouring country due to FMD outbreak in SA. This ban will be in place for many months more. Some officials at the border will enforce this ban stricter than others, but fact remains the ban is in place until such time Botswana/Namibia decides it is safe from their point of view to allow meat from SA into their countries. It is what it is.

Why try to confuse a very simple issue by arguing the word 'importation'? Importation means and have always meant 'taking foodstuffs over the border for personal consumption'. Commercial importation is completely different and subject to different limitations.

So to generally summarize again:

1. North - South/ West - East movement of meat in Botswana is NOT allowed. Always have been like that. End of story.
    2. There are veterinary control zones in Botswana. They are demarcated by fences. Where these fences cross roads, there are Veterinary checkpoints. Some checkpoints are minor, unmanned and open 90 % of the time. Other like Dukwe, Makalamamedi, Buffalo fence are manned and travelers might find a closed boom despite the 'correct' direction of travel. Unless point 3 applies, the boom will be opened you will be waved through.
    3. Now it gets tricky. If there is a FMD outbreak in Botswana in a certain zone or zones, movement of meat is prohibited. The zone in which Francistown is, is problematic with fairly frequent outbreaks. You cannot move meat out or through that zone during an outbreak. Does not matter if your meat comes from SA. End of story. So buying meat in Palapye and hoping to transport it to Kasane via Francistown is in such a case will not work. South to north rule applies no more in this type of scenario.
    4. Meat can be taken to Botswana for own consumption, UNLESS there is a ban either due to FMD or Avian flue in case of chicken or Swine flue in the case of pork.

Lastly and most important: the attitude you with which you arrive at the border or vet fence, WILL determine how you are treated.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/03/01 at 08:50 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Valuable info. Thanks Lekhubu943.

The last sentence remains an issue though. The rules/laws should determine the outcome, not anyone's attitude. That is just random and inconsistent then.

Valuable info. Thanks Lekhubu943.

The last sentence remains an issue though. The rules/laws should determine the outcome, not anyone's attitude. That is just random and inconsistent then.
    Perhaps read Lekhubu's statement again...

"
    Lastly and most important: the attitude you with which you arrive at the border or vet fence, WILL determine how you are treated."

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAND For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast