Advice or Help! on Cam Bearing Wear

Default Advice or Help! on Cam Bearing Wear

Hi all,
    I have been working on my 300tdi engine for the last 2 months after blowing a big end. It's quite a drama and an expensive one but I'm nearing the finish line. (I hope)

I've had the Block machined, bought a 2nd hand Crank and had the journals polished, new bearings all around, new pistons & rings, new oil pump gears, and new Water pump.

Yesterday I was about to put the Cam back in when I notice that the front Cam bearing is a bit worn at the bottom. It is still covered with soft metal but if you're aware the Cam has an oil groove that sits in this bearing and it is worn where this groove rests. Mainly at the bottom of the bearing and it has left a small ridge in the bearing.

To replace it is a nightmare because I have to take it back to the Machinist and that will cost me another week of waiting as well as $$$ but then again......I don't want to pull this engine out again. I'm too old.

So, I am asking for advice on the importance of oil pressure (mainly) with a slightly worn front Cam bearing?
    The rest of the cam bearings seem fine.

My initial thought was to ignore it but then I start vacillating and can't make a decision. Help!!
    Last edited by Peppercorn; 2019/02/24 at 11:02 PM.

Default Re: Advice or Help! on Cam Bearing Wear

You certainly went through a lot.

I am sure the experts on Landys will respond soon with some good advice.

I hope all your sweat and tears will pay off in the end.
    Hermanator

Herman Smit

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hermanator For This Useful Post:

unfortunately, it literally becomes a business decision - what do you stand to lose if it fails?

What's the worst case ? bearing picks up and wrecks the cam and seizes or dislodges metal particles in the oil - best case is probably a nominal difference in oil pressure and a bit of noise and the cam may oscillate, but if its worn a little, it will be going back in a slightly different spot and as such wear will be accelerated and you back to worst case.

honestly, I would get it fixed properly and bite the delay bullet, to do a half job now is throwing everything else in the mud pit

Probably not what you want to hear, but it is kinda like a surgeon forgetting those sponges in the operation site and then closing up and hoping it will be alright
    Last edited by 3bar; 2019/02/25 at 06:23 AM.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3bar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 3bar View Post
    unfortunately, it literally becomes a business decision - what do you stand to lose if it fails?

What's the worst case ? bearing picks up and wrecks the cam and seizes or dislodges metal particles in the oil - best case is probably a nominal difference in oil pressure and a bit of noise and the cam may oscillate, but if its worn a little, it will be going back in a slightly different spot and as such wear will be accelerated and you back to worst case.

honestly, I would get it fixed properly and bite the delay bullet, to do a half job now is throwing everything else in the mud pit

Probably not what you want to hear, but it is kinda like a surgeon forgetting those sponges in the operation site and then closing up and hoping it will be alright
    +1!!!

Sorry peppercorn but 3bar is correct on that one. You don't play with oil pressure issues.

Your problems here are not with the engine cold but working hard in hot ambient temps with the oil temp in the upper limits where the oil then becomes really thin.

Saw an issue some years ago, where a TDV6 (I know not a 300Tdi) had a worn cam journal housing with some nasty wear. Owner got the cyl head fixed without addressing the underlying REAL problem (oil pump). Soon after that the engine seized.............
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hgbosch For This Useful Post:

A 300Tdi engine either works when perfect, or it destroys it self very quickly when anything go wrong, I would fix it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to faniedup For This Useful Post:

Hi all

Firstly, I apologise for not getting back to fill in the story as it unfolded and also to thank you guys for sharing with me your wisdom. I thought that no one had answered me because I was expecting to be notified when someone replied but for whatever reason that never happened?

Anyway, I ummed and arrghed for 2 days until I finally decided to get the Cam bearing replaced and the Machinist did the lot for $80. A bloody good price considering there were none in stock anywhere in Oz from any LR parts supplier. He sourced them from a Machinists supplier.

The good news is that the motor started yesterday for the first time and went really well and sounds great!! Very quiet. Oil pressure was around 58 cold and 22 at idle once warmed up.
    I did have a leaky Welch Plug (which is really annoying) but I replaced it (again) today after removing the exhaust & inlet Manifolds and am waiting for the 'Stag' gunk to go off overnight before I refill it with coolant.
    Tomorrow I will take it on a searching trip up the mountain range once I'm confident that I have no leaks or any other issue.

The motor is really quiet which is a really nice feel.
    There was always a 'knock' sound at idle at the front of the engine always 'on beat' which I do believe was that Cam bearing wear which is now no more.
    It wasn't a piston or Big End knock and mainly noticeable at idle. I have heard it with a few TDi's actually and convinced myself it was just how a diesel sounds.

Thanks for your advice and help. I really appreciate help from fellow Landy owners!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peppercorn View Post
    Hi all

Firstly, I apologise for not getting back to fill in the story as it unfolded and also to thank you guys for sharing with me your wisdom. I thought that no one had answered me because I was expecting to be notified when someone replied but for whatever reason that never happened?
    Notifications are not automatic. You need to subscribe to a thread, even if you started it yourself. While replying, with or without quote, just scroll down a bit and you will see the option to subscribe. If you forget to do that, just edit any post you made in the thread and 'Go Advanced'. Alternatively, you can go to 'My Profile' right at the top where you can see all your activity.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2019/03/11 at 10:39 AM.
    A sure sign that there is in fact intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Naes-Landy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    Notifications are not automatic. You need to subscribe to a thread, even if you started it yourself. Just scroll down a bit and you will see the option to subscribe. If you forget to do that, just edit any post you made in the thread and 'Go Advanced'.
    you can also set your profile to auto subscribe
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    you can also set your profile to auto subscribe
    That I didn't know. But I found said setting (next to My Profile) under Settings > My Account > General Settings.

I learn something new and useful almost everyday. And not just about Landrover maintenance
    A sure sign that there is in fact intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

Hi all

Anyway, I ummed and arrghed for 2 days until I finally decided to get the Cam bearing replaced and the Machinist did the lot for $80. A bloody good price considering there were none in stock anywhere in Oz from any LR parts supplier. He sourced them from a Machinists supplier.

The good news is that the motor started yesterday for the first time and went really well and sounds great!! Very quiet. Oil pressure was around 58 cold and 22 at idle once warmed up.
    I did have a leaky Welch Plug (which is really annoying) but I replaced it (again) today after removing the exhaust & inlet Manifolds and am waiting for the 'Stag' gunk to go off overnight before I refill it with coolant.
    Tomorrow I will take it on a searching trip up the mountain range once I'm confident that I have no leaks or any other issue.

The motor is really quiet which is a really nice feel.
    There was always a 'knock' sound at idle at the front of the engine always 'on beat' which I do believe was that Cam bearing wear which is now no more.
    It wasn't a piston or Big End knock and mainly noticeable at idle. I have heard it with a few TDi's actually and convinced myself it was just how a diesel sounds.

Thanks for your advice and help. I really appreciate help from fellow Landy owners!!
    Hi Peppercorn

those oil pressures are spot on!
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

17. The Following User Says Thank You to hgbosch For This Useful Post:

Hi all,
    I have been working on my 300tdi engine for the last 2 months after blowing a big end. It's quite a drama and an expensive one but I'm nearing the finish line. (I hope)

I've had the Block machined, bought a 2nd hand Crank and had the journals polished, new bearings all around, new pistons & rings, new oil pump gears, and new Water pump.

Yesterday I was about to put the Cam back in when I notice that the front Cam bearing is a bit worn at the bottom. It is still covered with soft metal but if you're aware the Cam has an oil groove that sits in this bearing and it is worn where this groove rests. Mainly at the bottom of the bearing and it has left a small ridge in the bearing.

To replace it is a nightmare because I have to take it back to the Machinist and that will cost me another week of waiting as well as $$$ but then again......I don't want to pull this engine out again. I'm too old.

So, I am asking for advice on the importance of oil pressure (mainly) with a slightly worn front Cam bearing?
    The rest of the cam bearings seem fine.

My initial thought was to ignore it but then I start vacillating and can't make a decision. Help!!
    Repair it while you are busy and have the engine out! Your will forever regret not doing it if later you have issues with your rebuilt engine because of it! I had a 3.5 V8, rebuilt and ported the heads, new intake and carb, new performance cam, spent over R20k on it. Decided to save R6k and NOT do the bottom end as compression was alright. 5000km later the engine seized because of a badly worn oil pump gear that failed. As they say "goedkoop is duur Koop!" don't make the same mistake!
    Defender V8 1994
    Defender TD5 2001

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheV8life For This Useful Post: