Best time to do Lesotho

Default Best time to do Lesotho

Hi , what is the best month to do Lesotho , meaning to drive all over most places, is it too cold in winter to see the snow or better in summer?

Default Re: Best time to do Lesotho

The weather in Lesotho can be very unpredictable....unless you read and follow the weather patterns carefully.

Snow can be seen in Nov / Dec and it can rain and be cold in Feb / March

I would say summer is better if you want to see more of the mountains.

Summer would be better. Either snow in winter or rain and mud in summer.
    Old man- 2011 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 VX 4.6 V8
    Boss lady - 2012 Toyota 150 Prado D4D
    Young me - 2009 underpowered Corolla 1.4 professional
    Free for all - 2000 BMW 528i

Many of the main roads are now tarred, some in beautiful condition, others needing maintenance which is not their strong point. Depends where all you want to go. The tar roads obviously can be traveled in any car at any time of year, except in heavy snow. Spring is pretty with the grass greening up and the peach trees in blossom. The scenery is stunning at any time of year, with snow in winter (though not all the time and not everywhere all the time), thunder clouds and storms in summer all add the the scenery.
    As said earlier, the weather changes quickly, and what is a good road (dirt) now could be washed away after the next storm. Just choose a time and do it.
    Very important, travel times are slow, even on tar, very twisty with steep gradients up and down, not to mention people and livestock, taxis and buses. So don't plan on averaging 100km/h - more like 50km/h.

Many of the main roads are now tarred, some in beautiful condition, others needing maintenance which is not their strong point. Depends where all you want to go. The tar roads obviously can be traveled in any car at any time of year, except in heavy snow. Spring is pretty with the grass greening up and the peach trees in blossom. The scenery is stunning at any time of year, with snow in winter (though not all the time and not everywhere all the time), thunder clouds and storms in summer all add the the scenery.<br>As said earlier, the weather changes quickly, and what is a good road (dirt) now could be washed away after the next storm. Just choose a time and do it.&nbsp;<br>Very important, travel times are slow, even on tar, very twisty with steep gradients up and down, not to mention people and livestock, taxis and buses. So don't plan on averaging 100km/h - more like 50km/h.
    Last edited by wilfwalk; 2019/03/01 at 11:52 AM.

We went this last Dec/Jan, did mostly dirt, found the weather very nice. Couple of late afternoon thunderstorms. But all managable. We were camping so didnt fancy snow conditions
    2011 Suzuki Jimny, Rocksliders (Bluerocket), Underbody protection (Stofpad), Roofrack (African Outback)
    Drawer System (self)

Went up Sani last weekend. Found this Cruiser going up Sani.The road up the pass is not bad.The only bad section in the construction at the bottom if it is wet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by spoedig View Post
    Went up Sani last weekend. Found this Cruiser going up Sani.The road up the pass is not bad.The only bad section in the construction at the bottom if it is wet.
    My f*k Marelize
    Old man- 2011 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 VX 4.6 V8
    Boss lady - 2012 Toyota 150 Prado D4D
    Young me - 2009 underpowered Corolla 1.4 professional
    Free for all - 2000 BMW 528i

How crazy would Lesotho be in August? around the 20th?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBravo View Post
    Very windy, dusty and dry..

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Im planning to do a trip next weekend on our own, the weather report says rain ?? we were planning a trip from Qachas - Sehlabathebe - then on to Sehonghong - Taung - Katse - Ha Makopela - Mokhotlong and out via sani over 4 days. we arent travelling in convoy and some of these routes are 4 x 4 tracks can any advise ??
    Thanks

Can you get to nice enough places with an offroad caravan like the BL Ratel, Explorer or Commander in tow if the weather permits? Lets say doing a few places in 4-6 days?
    If so any suggestions?
    Jacques

2013 Amarok BiTDi DC 4Motion
    2018 Bushlapa Ratel 4 Military Edition - BL1402

Sold - 2011 Conqueror Comfort
    Sold - 2004 Isuzu KB300 DC (was only 4x2 but a happy 240000km and 9 years)

Quote Originally Posted by pretorjn View Post
    Can you get to nice enough places with an offroad caravan like the BL Ratel, Explorer or Commander in tow if the weather permits? Lets say doing a few places in 4-6 days?
    If so any suggestions?
    Jacques, I would'nt.

The roads are great, no issues there, with nice loooooong stretches of gravel/tar.

But those passes are VERY steep, especially going down you're really looking for trouble. And you WILL cook your brakes.

What is possible is choosing a route with a "flatter" profile, like Maseru to Roma or Ramabanta, set up camp there and explore from there.

But a route like the A1 to Oxbow/Afriski/Letseng, I think, is not on.

Also not the road to Katse Dam.

Im not being an u vrou"here - also remember that the height above Sea level REALLY saps your power. We regularly tow to Katse (Ha Lejone) with a small alu boat, and even the Hilux 2,8 gets into first gear on some inclines.

I have a bigger boat, Unique 540, and I would'nt even think of towing it up there.

Maybe up, but most most definitely not down.
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBravo View Post
    We also want to travel from Underberg/Himeville via Sani pass through Lesotho, out at Maseru, the week of 4-9 August. Our plans are Sani Top - Katse Dam - Trading Post - Maseru, sleeping over one night at every stop. Is camping this time advisable, weather wise ?

FJ Cruiser
    Prado 3,4 v6 (sold)