Caravan roof paint.

Default Caravan roof paint.

Instead of having one of those silver reflective sheets that usually don't last, I am thinking of painting the caravan roof with a reflective paint. Will it work and what paint is the best for this? Please share your thoughts.
    Toyota Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8 "Vuurhoutjie Boksie". Toyota Hi-Lux D4D 4x4 "Willebees" (My daily drive). Afrispoor Cheetah 2-Sleeper Easy Camper. Hyundai i20 1.6 (SWAMBO's daily drive).

Default Re: Caravan roof paint.

Contact Ceratech. They do thermal barrier paints, that are used on both roof and walls. Sure they can give you expert advise on this

What about Thermoshield? It's white.

https://www.megabond.co.za/thermal.html
    Touareg V10

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiderGear For This Useful Post:

IMHO it will have minimum effect. I also see a lot of people using the reflective sheets incorrectly. The principle is that there must be air gap between the tent/caravan and the reflective sheet. The sun will thus hit the reflective sheet, deflecting some of the heat, but still heat it up, the layer of air between the sheet end the caravan acts a the insulator and this is what keeps it a bit cooler inside.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stekel For This Useful Post:

Contact Romeo at Alloutdoors, he did this for me. It is a film that is applied. Dropped interior temperature by 15C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180316_143705.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	520212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180316_143917.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	520213  
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2019 VW Tiguan 4mtion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by Stekel View Post
    IMHO it will have minimum effect. I also see a lot of people using the reflective sheets incorrectly. The principle is that there must be air gap between the tent/caravan and the reflective sheet. The sun will thus hit the reflective sheet, deflecting some of the heat, but still heat it up, the layer of air between the sheet end the caravan acts a the insulator and this is what keeps it a bit cooler inside.
    Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. Will give it a try this weekend. Will use a couple of pool noodles to create the gap between the awning and reflective sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by SP1971 View Post
    Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. Will give it a try this weekend. Will use a couple of pool noodles to create the gap between the awning and reflective sheet.
    You need to get airflow constantly between roof and reflective sheet otherwise no good.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to eloffmare For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by eloffmare View Post
    You need to get airflow constantly between roof and reflective sheet otherwise no good.
    Natural convection between high heat on the sheet and low heat on the van apparently does the job

The silver applied directly to the roof will work.I have spent a lot of time on concrete roofs and when it comes to applying the torch on the bitumen is often so hot that you leave footprints in it but as soon as it is painted with silvershine the temperatures drop a lot, just think of one of these space blankets. The silver is designed to heep the heat in and that is why it is part of a first aid kit.

I manufacture cooler bags and the ones with the silver ripstop on the inside works much better than just the standard green canvas.

If you can have a fly sheet with an air gap over the roof it is first prize but that mirror film is a huge help already, only problem is applying it is a devil
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post: