Garmin Montana 610 issues

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Garmin Montana 610 issues

I have add endless issues with my now 2nd Montana.

The first was bought in the states in December, and replaced under warranty by Garmin SA, great service. They sent me a brand new one and it has the same issues.

The problem starts when you try and select a route that was created on Basecamp and transferred to the T4A SD card. It gives a message that there are no routable roads in the area and it also can not recalculate. Then it drops all my settings and enables the worldwide base map by itself.

I spent a week with T4A to try and resolve, and realised it was not the SD card nor the maps (18.12.02).

Out of frustration and a looming trip, I bought the cheapest Garmin Drive 40 on special at Makro, installed the SD card with exact same routes.... and... works 100%!!!

I did my entire trip over 2000kms last week with the Drive 40, no issues.

Myself and the technician at Garmin SA have tried all kinds of things and I am about to send this one back to them also.

So the question is, has anyone had any weird routing issues with a Montana 610 and T4A?

Just a side note, I have owned 3 or 4 different GPS models, and used T4A on a SD card in them. These include, Aera 500, 276CX, Drive 40 etc. So I am pretty confident that it is not a setting I am getting wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Grumbles
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna"
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"

Bacon fact #18 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!

Default Re: Garmin Montana 610 issues

Not an expert but is the GPS programmed to SA routing/Africa. Also are you not running both T4A and CN southern Africa NT 2019.20 at the same time. When last did you update your GPS. Silly questions that may help.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Is the T4A designed only to be used in other GPS other than the Montana or not.
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Not an expert but is the GPS programmed to SA routing/Africa. Also are you not running both T4A and CN southern Africa NT 2019.20 at the same time. When last did you update your GPS. Silly questions that may help.
    All up to date to latest firmware, Montana does not come with any mapping other than World Base map, as it is not SA specific.

I am only running T4A.

Just been on the phone with T4A again, even recalculating the routes on basecamp and then sending to SD card again, it still gives error.

Sending it back to Garmin SA.

Grumbles

Hi Grumbles,

Couple of things to maybe check:

- are you using the same T4A version on the device as you are in BaseCamp?
    - does this happen with only one route created in BaseCamp - or with all?
    - if you create the route on the Montana itself, do you have the same issue?

I have been using the Montana 600 for many years now on many trips. I had an issue at one stage where routes planned on a friends PC and then imported into my Montana showed similar issues (and vice versa). Turns out he had a slightly different version of T4A (in this case Africa mapset vs a regional tile - NB. the route was obviously within the boundaries of the regional tile). Didn't happen with all routes, only some. Problem got much better when we had same version of T4A on both PC's and on both Montana's.

Not sure if this applies in your case but maybe worthy to check?

Cheers R.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbles View Post
    All up to date to latest firmware, Montana does not come with any mapping other than World Base map, as it is not SA specific.

I am only running T4A.

Just been on the phone with T4A again, even recalculating the routes on basecamp and then sending to SD card again, it still gives error.

Sending it back to Garmin SA.

Grumbles
    Can't you get SA maps installed.
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

Can't you get SA maps installed.
    Don't want "SA Maps" if you are referring to street maps.

Montana is not sold with any routable map, as it is a recreational GPS and runs the maps the user wants.

Grumbles

Quote Originally Posted by ralf View Post
    Hi Grumbles,

Couple of things to maybe check:

- are you using the same T4A version on the device as you are in BaseCamp?
    - does this happen with only one route created in BaseCamp - or with all?
    - if you create the route on the Montana itself, do you have the same issue?

I have been using the Montana 600 for many years now on many trips. I had an issue at one stage where routes planned on a friends PC and then imported into my Montana showed similar issues (and vice versa). Turns out he had a slightly different version of T4A (in this case Africa mapset vs a regional tile - NB. the route was obviously within the boundaries of the regional tile). Didn't happen with all routes, only some. Problem got much better when we had same version of T4A on both PC's and on both Montana's.

Not sure if this applies in your case but maybe worthy to check?

Cheers R.
    Hi Ralf,

Exact versions of the maps on both sides.
    All routes created in basecamp and sent to SD card or internal memory, does't matter.
    When creating route on Montana itself, NO issues.

Strange how there are no issues on any other Garmin units, the SD card just works fine.

Have you tried using Mapsource instead of Basecamp?
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6 SE

"Life without adventure is no life at all"

I had a Garmin 276c, best GPS I ever had. Used it on my boat at sea, in my car and on my bike.

I then bought a Montana 600. Long story short after buying T4 3 times, loosing all my Garmin street maps, bought with the Montana 600, loosing all my maps of Europe ( yes also bought with my Montana 600) and my blue chart ( ocean map) Garmin let me know there is a fault with my unit and they shall replace it, for a fee.

I then bought my 3rd T4 maps, and on my last trip it packed up. As Garmin is not in CT any longer I get given the run around.

The guy's in Maitland (can't remember the name of the place) reloaded my T4 maps and told me my card was corrupt.

I am now VERY scared to use this device as until now it has given me major problems on all my long trips.

Will I ever buy another Garmin product, NO. I have in fact bought a TomTom for Europe, it was cheaper, comes with a lifetime of free map uploads and has yet to give me any problems.

In fact in South Africa and neighbouring countries, I was far better off before, with only paper maps, that I still always carry.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Toni For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by alancal View Post
    Have you tried using Mapsource instead of Basecamp?
    No, but I use a Mac, not sure Mapsource is available for Mac?

Anyway, still does not explain why the SD Card and routes work on all other GPS models.

Very Strange.

Anyway, its off to Garmin tomorrow, and I will update once I have news.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Grumbles

Grumbles make sure that only t4a is active and that you definitely have installed all the maps for the area you're traveling in.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StorminH For This Useful Post:

Hi Ralf,

Exact versions of the maps on both sides.
    All routes created in basecamp and sent to SD card or internal memory, does't matter.
    When creating route on Montana itself, NO issues.

Strange how there are no issues on any other Garmin units, the SD card just works fine.

Hi Grumbles,

One final thing that you could maybe try:

- Make sure that you select “Always match route to the map on my device when transferring” setting in the Device Transfer Options in BaseCamp.

- Also: when creating the route in BaseCamp - did you create the viapoints manually? If so make 100% sure that they really are properly located on a road or track – if they are just slightly off or next to the road, then the route calculator often – understandably - has an issue with the routing. This happens really quickly if one is zoomed out to far…

Hope you come right!

Cheers,
    Ralf.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf View Post
    Hi Grumbles,

One final thing that you could maybe try:

- Make sure that you select “Always match route to the map on my device when transferring” setting in the Device Transfer Options in BaseCamp.

- Also: when creating the route in BaseCamp - did you create the viapoints manually? If so make 100% sure that they really are properly located on a road or track – if they are just slightly off or next to the road, then the route calculator often – understandably - has an issue with the routing. This happens really quickly if one is zoomed out to far…

Hope you come right!

Cheers,
    Ralf.
    Thanks Ralf,

Ja look, I have tried all these options, and also made sure via points are smack bang centered on a road. Even routes that have zero via points give an issue on the Montana.

But again, I remove this card from the Montana with all the problematic routes, and insert into my Drive 40 and they work fine and very quickly, the Montana takes like 30 seconds to calculate a selected route before the "GO" tabs appears.

I am convinced its brains are not lekker, and with my run of bad luck recently (don't ask) it is very likely I have 2 x dud units in a row.

Lets see what Garmin SA Technical says on Friday when they have the unit.

Cheers,

Grumbles

Just thinking, yes it hurts. If it works on the other Garmin unit. Perhaps...

1) the Garmin has preloaded maps of Africa etc.so the T4A overlays its self to be compatable.

2) perhaps you need a special card T4A for the Montana. Last I read was T4A was not compatable with Mac... If that means anything.

3) perhaps try and have maps for Africa downloaded on Montana then try the T4A card.
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

Just thinking, yes it hurts. If it works on the other Garmin unit. Perhaps...

1) the Garmin has preloaded maps of Africa etc.so the T4A overlays its self to be compatable.

2) perhaps you need a special card T4A for the Montana. Last I read was T4A was not compatable with Mac... If that means anything.

3) perhaps try and have maps for Africa downloaded on Montana then try the T4A card.
    1 No preloaded maps exept Worldwide basemap, which I disable
    2 No special card needed, confirmed with T4A and also tested on their 610 en 600
    3 T4A definately compatible with Mac, it has worked on my Mac and other units for more than 2 years

Grumbles

Thanks Ralf,

Ja look, I have tried all these options, and also made sure via points are smack bang centered on a road. Even routes that have zero via points give an issue on the Montana.

But again, I remove this card from the Montana with all the problematic routes, and insert into my Drive 40 and they work fine and very quickly, the Montana takes like 30 seconds to calculate a selected route before the "GO" tabs appears.

I am convinced its brains are not lekker, and with my run of bad luck recently (don't ask) it is very likely I have 2 x dud units in a row.

Lets see what Garmin SA Technical says on Friday when they have the unit.

Cheers,

Grumbles

Sorry Grumbles - but it really does sound like the brains in that unit are not so lekker somewhere ...

Only bit that kind of still pointed to it being an issue between the Mac and the 610 somewhere - was that if you compiled the route manually on the unit itself - then it worked. But the same route and SD card work fine with your other units... go figure...

Anyway, it really shouldn't be like this. Will be interesting to hear what Garmin find. Good luck!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ralf For This Useful Post:

I had similar problems after I had spent ages on my PC using T4A then transferred it to my Garmin 610. When I chose my "Day 1" it would chunter along, show the map, but when I pressed "GO" it said "no routable roads".
    I subsequently found out that this would happen if I was not already on a main road, so for example when I was at home or even on the suburb roads, since these were not on T4A, it wouldn't work. It was a eureka moment when I found it would work when starting out (or at least initiating the route) from a main road.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bounce View Post
    I had similar problems after I had spent ages on my PC using T4A then transferred it to my Garmin 610. When I chose my "Day 1" it would chunter along, show the map, but when I pressed "GO" it said "no routable roads".
    I subsequently found out that this would happen if I was not already on a main road, so for example when I was at home or even on the suburb roads, since these were not on T4A, it wouldn't work. It was a eureka moment when I found it would work when starting out (or at least initiating the route) from a main road.
    Thanks and I get what you are saying, but Suburb roads are on T4A, in fact they are searchable (not the number though)

And it should not be this way, it is a recreational GPS with maps that go off the beaten track onto small side roads, AND T4A will even route direct up to a certain distance off an established road or 2spoor.

We will know soon what the diagnoses is from Garmin SA.

Cheers

Grumbles

UPDATE

Received my second replacement Montana 610 from Garmin SA. So this will be my 3rd Montana since Dec 2018.

The technical guys were having the same issues as I did, and could not find the issue.

Unfortunately, I am only home on 5 April, and plan to start from scratch. Uninstall Basecamp etc, and start all over, then test.

I have been reading some Garmin forums in the states, and people have had similar issues. A lot of them point to corrupted files being sent to the SD card or the unit (for unknown reasons), and also HOW you disconnect/eject from your computer. I have noticed that when you eject, you have to unplug very quickly, as the unit will appear again on the PC.

I have downloaded JaVaWa to troubleshoot these kind of files, and the same developer makes a program called "Cleaneject".

But... saying all this, other people with Montana's do not have these issues or weird screen flashes, plus it works great on my Garmin Drive 40 and my friends ancient Aera 500 (which is an aviation GPS with street mapping function also)... so I am still of the opinion that I have been unlucky and got 2 x bad units.

Will update once home and tested a few routes.

Cheers

Grumbles

PS: I have also just been in contact with T4A, they have been great with help from the first unit, when I initially thought it might be the maps on the card I received.

They have offered to send me a brand new SD card with the maps on, so that it can be tested with the new Montana.

Thank you Bessie and Ian at T4A.
    Last edited by Grumbles; 2019/03/06 at 11:20 AM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumbles For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast