Lions are amazing

Default Lions are amazing

Don’t we all just love watching animal behaviour in their natural habitat. I have had some amazing experiences over the years, the most recent of which I’d like to share with you.
    It was on my visit to Ol Kinyei Conservancy in Kenya this January and the specific incident I’d like to relate involves the wonderful way in which a mother lioness looks after and teaches her cubs.
    We were out early, looking for the two lionesses and their cubs. Even though they are well known to my guides Ben and David there was of course no guarantee of a sighting. You can imagine my delight on only my 2nd morning in Ol Kinyei when we not only spotted them but found them in very playful mood and in true “conservancy style” they were right next to us.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010464 (3).jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	443.8 KB 
ID:	519641 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010468 (2).jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	869.2 KB 
ID:	519642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010470.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	568.1 KB 
ID:	519644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010545.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	432.9 KB 
ID:	519645

One mother had three very small cubs, probably 3 months old. The other had two, slightly bigger, say 5 months old. We witnessed the incredible love, patience and dedication which the lionesses showed in cuddling, playing and teaching their energetic offspring. Dad of course was somewhere fast asleep.

After about 20 minutes or so one lioness started walking away from the group and focussed her attention in one specific direction in the surrounding, somewhat open, bush. What followed was quite remarkable. As if commanded to do so, all play immediately stopped and everyone lay down and just relaxed, including the other adult lioness. This lasted for a good 5 minutes during which time the lioness in hunting mode continued her fixed gaze and then proceeded to advance in that direction. Everyone else stayed put. She then disappeared from our sight and we continued watching the cubs. The two older cubs were now intrigued by a group of nearby guinea fowl and we were entertained by their hopeless pursuit of them.
    It wasn’t long before the lioness proudly walked back through the bush with a baby warthog on her mouth, still half alive. She presented this to her three little cubs who must have been so impressed with their amazing mother and the toy she had just brought them.

However, life is not that straight forward and it didn’t take a great deal of time for one of the older cubs to take possession of it rather rudely. Lots of learning now occurred, resulting in one of the little cubs being given short shrift by the warthog mouthing youngster. Mother came over straight away just to make sure little one was ok but allowed the natural lesson to take its course. She then went straight over to the other lioness and they had a good old head rub as if saying: “Love you my sister, the kid’s squabbles won’t divide us”.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010475 (3).jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	284.7 KB 
ID:	519646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010476.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	551.4 KB 
ID:	519647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010482 (3).JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	599.7 KB 
ID:	519648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010485.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	378.6 KB 
ID:	519649

The sound of bones crushing told us that at least one cub had discovered what eating meat was all about.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MartinDT For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Lions are amazing

Asante sana, MartinDT. What a lovely post and story.

We are so privileged to have seen lions in their natural habitat doing what lions do. Their future is precarious all over Africa.

Please keep posting on your adventures in Kenya, and welcome to the Kenyan/East African section of this forum.

Karibuni Kenya!

Default Re: Lions are amazing

Asante Sana,
    Thanks for your reply Wazungu. I have a lot more to tell about your amazing Conservancies so watch this space.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinDT For This Useful Post: