Gamchab

Thread: Gamchab

Default Gamchab

Some advice please.

I want to do a viewing trip into the Gamchab. Someone told me that one has to stay at Norotshama to gain a permit to do so,

but Norotshame is very expensive. What is the position, please.

Thanks in advance.
    1998 Land Cruiser 75 4.2D + T - Meano conversion to SW .... wif only 100k km in 2016!
    2006 LC 100 VX Sahara 1HD-FTE

Default Re: Gamchab

I don't think that is correct. In 2013 I contacted the Namibian authorities to find out if a permit was required to drive the canyon and was advised it was not necessary. We drove down from Ai Ais through the canyon and on to Aus , with this route you do not pass Norotshama as it is to the east.

The official spelling of the river on the Namibian signage was " Gamkab".

I am not sure if we are speaking of the same place here - but you can access the river (Orange / Gariep) from the RSA side along the first part of the Namaqua Eco trail.

4x4 advisable.

If you want more info. on this - contact me.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Yes Peter, there are two places with similar sounding names. The one is the Namibian canyon leading south from below Ai Ais to the Orange River, it is to the east of the Fish River.

The other place, I have not yet been there, is south of the Orange/Gariep in South Africa and have been mentioned in reports of the Namaqua trail as you rightly pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    I am not sure if we are speaking of the same place here - but you can access the river (Orange / Gariep) from the RSA side along the first part of the Namaqua Eco trail.

4x4 advisable.

If you want more info. on this - contact me.
    Different places. The one you are refrring to is the Kamchab River. And one does need a permit for this in any case.

The one the OP is referring to is the Gamkab river, South of Ais-Ais, in Namibia.
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Thanks all for your replies.

I also received independent confirmation that no permit is required - its a public route. And yes, it is for the Namibian Gamchab route south of Ai-Ais.
    1998 Land Cruiser 75 4.2D + T - Meano conversion to SW .... wif only 100k km in 2016!
    2006 LC 100 VX Sahara 1HD-FTE